New noise to diagnose... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down New noise to diagnose... Help?

Okay, here is the rundown.

I have a clicking/swooshing/thumping noise (rhythmic so it's from something spinning) that is:
1) MPH dependent, NOT RPM dependent
2) Only happens when in the engine is under load, forward or reverse
Does not happen when coasting in neutral
Does not happen under braking
3) Noise does not change volume with more or less engine torque, it is an on/off kind of thing. Any engine torque will do.
4) Noise doesn't go away when you take turns either, purely speed and torque dependent.
5) Happens every time you apply right foot, until you get to high enough speed the engine itself just drowns it out..
Front wheel bearings only have 7k on them and the engine has 2/3 new mounts installed. Noise still there!

Car has 160k on it, so based on the above I replaced both axles with rebuilt OEM ones. Found some play in the RH one, so I thought I had fixed the problem! Nope, noise still there, now I just have new axles

So, anyone know what it could be? I'm stumped. Something transmission related? Transmission is shifting great like always, it's a 6MT.

Last edited by Tangoman; 08-16-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Man, this one is really hard to diagnose. My best guess would have been the axles but you already changed them out.

One of the vendors on here, HeelToeAutomotive, had noises coming from his transmission. Check out his article and see if you have the same problems as he did: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-arti...transaxle.html
The following users liked this post:
Tangoman (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Exhaust contacting something might cause noise. An exhaust leak can sometimes sound like a tapping or clicking sound.

First step is to isolate location of noise. Under hood, under body, Front/back, driver/pax?

May need to have an inspection on a treadmill to allow a look under load.

good luck
Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM

By the way, you said that it doesn't happen in neutral, so does that mean right when you clutch in, the noise goes away? I'd say to pin point it further, get it under load so that it makes the noise, then clutch in and see if the noise instantly goes away. If the noise instantly goes away, my best guestimate would be it being transmission related.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Man, this one is really hard to diagnose. My best guess would have been the axles but you already changed them out.

One of the vendors on here, HeelToeAutomotive, had noises coming from his transmission. Check out his article and see if you have the same problems as he did: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-arti...transaxle.html
This is EXACTLY the noise I have. Exactly. I wonder if HeelToe ever figured out what it was... I emailed Marcus. We'll see what he comes back with.
I'm at 160k, I'm not going to pull the tranny until the thing locks up.

Last edited by Tangoman; 08-19-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 PM

You can PM him. But I read another article where he opened up his transmission to do an overhaul. Don't remember if he mentioned anything about what was causing the noise.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Racer

Yep, I contacted him.

Interesting. Never had an issue with Honda manual transmissions before. In my old Civic, my old Prelude, or my NSX. Luck has to end sometime.

Damn...
Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I rebuilt mine with a new ring-gear and counter shaft. Actually, if you have the EXACT SAME thing, I have a new ring gear and countershaft here I can sell you cheap.

And I tossed in a new LSD and aluminum flywheel which were probably two of the best upgrades I have done to this car to date.

Here is that article:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/blogs/hts...ux-part-2.html
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I rebuilt mine with a new ring-gear and counter shaft. Actually, if you have the EXACT SAME thing, I have a new ring gear and countershaft here I can sell you cheap.

And I tossed in a new LSD and aluminum flywheel which were probably two of the best upgrades I have done to this car to date.

Here is that article:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/blogs/hts...ux-part-2.html
Alright.
I would love to get a price from you for that countershaft and ring gear. I think I have a friend who can handle this kind of job.
Also, if you could maybe source some synchros for me (mine is getting a little sticky to shift as well) and I can order the clutch set along with a master cylinder I think I'd be good then.

This is my daily driver, I won't be needing to go the LSD or aluminum flywheel route.

What a pain that is going to be....
Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Yea we can totally set you up. Shoot us back another email.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Racer

Update:

Used ebay transmission installed that had 84k miles on it.
New Exedy Clutch, Master, Slave, and new Exedy flywheel.

Car feels frickin perfect. Other than my buddy hooking the steering column back up 2 splines off (wheel not on straight) it drives like a dream. Replacing the clutch master is a total PITA but I'm glad we did it.

Now I get to rebuild the old transmission. So, Marcus I'll be getting with you after we take it apart. Anyone know where I can get core money if I don't rebuild it?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You could resell on ebay as a rebuild core. Market is pretty thin and you likely would have a long wait to sell. Even a rebuilt sale may take some time.

good luck
Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Racer

Yea, I'm okay with the sale taking some time. I have the box to ship it in, room in my garage, etc.

Really though, I'm excited to pull the old one apart and confirm it was the same problem MrHeelToe had.

Car now has:
Transmission with 83k on it
New flywheel, clutch, clutch master, clutch slave, engine mounts, axles, front wheel bearings, brakes.

New car!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Racer

Okay so just in case anyone comes by this thread with the same issues.
I took apart the old transmission and sure enough the ring gear was torn up (3 teeth gone) all the other teeth looked good. I am going to probably rebuild it and sell it or keep it if I have another transmission problem.