Need opinions on '06 tsx

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on '06 tsx

Hello I'm new to Acura,

For years I've owned and worked on volvos and have most recently owned a couple of VW GTI's. I'm looking at an '06 TSX that I'd like to use in my Real Estate business.

I'm looking to Acura because of Honda's reliability and I'm seeking low overhead/maintenance costs as well as a car that I can work on myself. This car would accommodate 4 people is reasonably quick and doesn't appear to be just a cheap car, it seems comfortable.

This car has 67,401 mi. and is offered at $14,995. This falls into the price range. So I need to know, given the mileage what :
  1. major maintenance issues are upon me should I get this car: timing belt/chain/clutch/other maintenance needs associated with this car/engine/drivetrain?
  2. What quirks do these cars have? I have read about possible battery issues (minor).
  3. What should I look for when I inspect the car.
  4. Is this a car that I can expect reliability from since it has so many bells and whistles is there more breakage/malfuntions?
  5. I am not above maintenance and even some major work but truth be told I don't want to spend a lot of time (constantly working on this car. I need it to be ready to go and possibly since it is an '06 I can provide needed maintenance now and have 4-5 years of reasonably trouble free driving. Is this a reasonable expectation?

I appreciate your opinions and guidance.

Thanks, Bonton
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
I have a CGP 06 5AT w/ navi with quartz interior with +72,000 trouble free miles I purchased new in May/06. I don’t eat or smoke in the car, commuter car for family of 3, always put 91 Octane from Sam’s club, no engine mods except for K/N air filter, and garage kept 70% of the time. I added a few extras like:

A-spec body kit
Rear wing
Acura racing pedals
OEM All weather mats
K/N drop in filter
A-spec suspension
Progress RSB
3M clear bra for headlights, fogs, side mirrors and front end
Metal trim kit
Use Mobile One for all oil changes
USA Spec IPod Integration module

Positives:
- Always excellent gas mileage, average 25-27 combined with about 60% hwy at 70 mph. Average about 31-33 straight hwy with cruise control set to 80 mph. Best Hwy was 38 mpg at 60 mph for about 100 miles.
- With weekly washing and twice a year waxing; the paint has held up pretty good for a +5 year old car in the southwest sun and sand. The paint is a little thin and I have rock strikes on the hood (clear bra has helped A LOT).
- Surprisingly, no cracks on windshield, only a few stars (fix right away).
- The leather seats have held up very well. I only condition the seats a couple of times a year. Still soft, no cracks and still have that leather smell.
- Plenty of power for everyday driving. Not going to win any stop light drag races; but, you can lead the pack if you want to in everyday driving.
- People always comment on how good the car looks inside and out. They can’t believe it is +5 years old car.
- A/C has kept up in the +110 degree summer heat during trips to Tucson/Phoenix.
- The heater kept up in the -12 degree winter deep freeze we had about a month ago.
- No maint issues at all; I just do all the schedule maint displayed on the M.I.D.
- No problems with Bluetooth, Navi, dual zone A/C, stereo (CD, XM, FM, AM, Aux, ipod adaptor), brakes, alignment, headlights, fogs, home link, memory seats, etc…

Negatives:
- The car is small; I call it a 4-door coupe. The back seat is only made for very small adults or kids. Our RDX can seat 4 adults much easier compared to the TSX.
- The 5AT is underpowered when you need to get up to speed in a hurry or pass on a 2 lane hwy.
- Rear brakes worn in 30,000 miles. Replacement rear brakes only show only 20% wear after 32,000 miles?
- I do feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel during hard braking. Same front pads since new, maybe time to get the rotors turned.
- Road noise. Don’t notice during city driving; mainly during hwy cruise. Getting rid of the OEM Michelin and going to Continental DWS has really dropped the noise down.
- Navi can sometimes can search for a Starbucks 1,500 miles away instead of within the city.
- Navi updates are only once a year in the fall with DVD disk for $185+shipping. The data is already obsolete as soon as you load in your system.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks mrgold! Great info! What do you think of the price they're asking?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Good review from mrgold35-
I also own a 06 tsx/wnav (6MT) bought new November 06. I have all the service done by an acura dealer I think is excellent. While getting the annual state inspection, the dealer replaced the battery free under the 4year unlimited mileage warranty. They told me it tested low even tho I never had any problems with it. The car has been on 3 cross country roadtrips covering a total of 42 states. Very comfortable riding car. It still has the original brakes. I do not allow smoking in the car so it still has the leather smell. It is garage kept most of the time. I average over 30MPG. I get lots of compliments on how nice my car looks expecially after they find out it has 120,000+miles. Sounds like a good price but I would try offering them a lower price. Remember you can always go up in the offer. Start at say $13,000I have the maintenance book filled out and stamped. Do not rely of just carfax. I looked at it for my car and the only thing that showed up was the power steering recall (make sure that was done). Found out my dealer does not share info with them. Have a trusted mechanic check the car out. Good luck and safe driving.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 03-10-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
That price seems about average for a 06 TSX. I would need to know if:

- over all condition inside and out
- mods
- 5AT or 6MT
- navi or not
- one or more owners
- accidents
- service records
- clean title
- decent tire tread (no alignment, balance problems also)
- brakes A-OK
- an everything works (A/C, radio, C/D, XM, bluetooth, mem seat, seat heaters, etc...
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 AM
5th Gear

I also have a Silver 2006 Tsx navi (6mt) black interior. I bought her brand new On january 2 or 2006. I have had no major issues as of yet. The only complaint I have is the dual mass clutch is not as smooth as a regular clutch. All the service has been done by me or the acura deler. Its a great car, The K series motor is strong and very reliable.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought mine as a CPO back in Dec 2008 with 23k miles for $20,300. Up until last month when I hit a pothole everything was fine. I have taken the car back to one Acura dealership 2 additional times (and I think the car still doesn't steer as it did 2 months ago) with one additional adjustment. The last visit the tech said it was following the crowning of the road. It could be that I am over analytical but I did get some inner wear on the front tires.

I posted on a Honda forum and the tech on there mentioned that while everything is in the green, the rear subframe needs to be adjusted and a camber kit will need to be added...this is something that is common on most Hondas because of the independent rear suspension (just what I wanted to hear ). Since I've unevenly wore out the front tires slightly and they are the originals I'm going to keep riding them until I need new ones and then get everything corrected from either the dealer I bought the car from or some specialty shop.

I'm just a little sour but hopefully everything will turn out ok down the road for me. You'll love the car.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Cruisin'

I have a '06 TSX w/o navi 6 speed manual which I love!! I have had the car about 2 months now bought it with 46,000 miles for $13,500 with tax. Its a nice car that hasn't given me any problems. Its time to do the brake pads and rotors but aside from that it doesn't look like any parts have been replaced either. I put premium gas in the car which is what Acura recommends. If you are going to be driving a lot i would encourage 6 speed because of the increased gas mileage with being able to pop it in 6th when going on interstate. the car is a little cramped in the back so for taking clients in it will be close quarters but overall its really nice. Just make sure car looks like it was taken car of, look at carfax, and take a test drive. I have owned a VW Jetta 1.8t which at this time, in mileage, i was already replacing air hoses and other misc. cheap plastic parts which was driving me nuts. The only thing i would suggest is to get a nice dark tint around the car because i think it just makes the car nice and clean. Especially if you live in the south with my car having black interior it is a life saver. Enjoy the car, I know i do!!