Navigation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009 | 12:11 AM
3rd Gear

Navigation Issues

I purchased a 2004 Acura TSX for the Mrs. I really love the car but am having problems with the navigation system.

Please take your best stab at any one of these you can help me with, listed in the order of importance:

1. When entering an address, 75% of the time the progress indicator bar goes the first quarter length then it reboots. I repeat this about 4 or 5 times before it finally goes completely to 100% then works. If it goes past 25% I'm sure it will completely register the address and not reboot again. How can I stop it from rebooting like this and just work the first time? This flaw just recently cost us to go the wrong way on the Pennsylvania turnpike to the tune of 20 miles

2. Even though my home address is set to Maryland, when i do a catagory search such as a restaurant it sends me to the nearest Boston Market say in Arizona.

3. If the system is not bluetooth compatable is there a way to make that happen? Is there a kit to upgrade it? I bought the wife an iPhone and it would be nice if I can get it to work with the system.

4. The audio command no matter what you tell it (ie find the nearest gas station) insists on turning on the AC. Luxury and can live without, but it would be nice to fix this.

Possible relevant facts: (A) I purchased the latest orange dvd but returned to the previous version when I noticed no big difference in the maps. I upgraded to the latest again when told that there inlies the problem, but I'm still having the issue. (B) I have a Sirius satellite radio
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

You have a 1G TSX. I'll move this to the correct section for you.

Some of your issues have been discussed, though. You can use the search function to find existing threads.
Old 06-18-2009 | 12:37 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by aaronr2000
I purchased a 2004 Acura TSX for the Mrs. I really love the car but am having problems with the navigation system.

Please take your best stab at any one of these you can help me with, listed in the order of importance:

1. When entering an address, 75% of the time the progress indicator bar goes the first quarter length then it reboots. I repeat this about 4 or 5 times before it finally goes completely to 100% then works. If it goes past 25% I'm sure it will completely register the address and not reboot again. How can I stop it from rebooting like this and just work the first time? This flaw just recently cost us to go the wrong way on the Pennsylvania turnpike to the tune of 20 miles

This sounds like it is related to the DVD flop you mention at the end of your post and you may have to go to a dealer and have them reinitialize the system.

2. Even though my home address is set to Maryland, when i do a catagory search such as a restaurant it sends me to the nearest Boston Market say in Arizona.

You're not doing searches correctly. You need to narrow your searches down to "immediate area" or other options and not just search on a name or you will get results from the entire 50 states. A bug in Navi logic perhaps. If you have the navigation guide you might want to look it over. Your home address has no bearings on what will be brought up in a search result. The only thing "Home" does is get you back home from wherever you may currently be located.

3. If the system is not bluetooth compatible is there a way to make that happen? Is there a kit to upgrade it? I bought the wife an iPhone and it would be nice if I can get it to work with the system.

There is no official Acura product to add to the system to make this possible, as far as I am aware. You may have to go 3rd party or aftermarket (checking Parrot, for example).

4. The audio command no matter what you tell it (ie find the nearest gas station) insists on turning on the AC. Luxury and can live without, but it would be nice to fix this.

This is purely in how the system is receiving commands and can't really be adjusted beyond what is recommended in the Owner's Manual as far as reducing fan speed, closing windows, speaking clear, etc. I have the same problems on occasion with my vehicle.

Possible relevant facts: (A) I purchased the latest orange dvd but returned to the previous version when I noticed no big difference in the maps. I upgraded to the latest again when told that there inlies the problem, but I'm still having the issue. (B) I have a Sirius satellite radio
The Navi system is not backwards-compatible and I believe in the owner's manual there is a strong warning about not being able to downgrade once you purchase and install an upgrade DVD without making a trip to your dealer.

Last edited by Stevestr; 06-18-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 06-18-2009 | 02:28 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Stevestr
The Navi system is not backwards-compatible and I believe in the owner's manual there is a strong warning about not being able to downgrade once you purchase and install an upgrade DVD without making a trip to your dealer.
Thanks. I wish I had known that when I took the dvd back to the dealer. I told them exactly what I was doing, that the mapping updates were so marginal that I'd just use my old one, but they let me walk right out of there with my money back and headache soon to come. But that's what I get for not reading the material at length.

I just got the mailing information for Alpine Electronics in Torrance, Ca and am going to ship it to them for repairs (about $158). That should take care of #1 on my list. The others I'll keep searching.
Old 06-18-2009 | 06:59 PM
9th Gear

mine stopped working for about 6 months.....I change the dvd for a more actual version....3.5 , changed the settings and what actully made it work was the day I used a garmin to go to jersey....I think the antenna from the garmin made my antenna take the right conection.....I saved the 158 and didnt send it to alpine
Old 07-13-2010 | 08:40 PM
3rd Gear

Just to update the rebooting issue was resolved by sending it to Alpine Electronics in California. Brilliant! They changed out a circuit board and voala!!

As for voice command, I don't think it ever worked! I reading the same issues in 2010 models. If I can swap it out for a blue tooth without breaking the bank I'd be psyched!!
Old 07-23-2010 | 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Hi Guys, Just bought an 04 manual and having some initial problems with the navi. The screen will turn on fine when the car has not been running for a while. But if I shut the car off for a short period of time, then restart it, the navi won't turn on (just a black screen)! I know it's not the screen itself because audio/AC still work.

Then it seems to randomly turn on if I'm in the car long enough.

I have noticed the advice for taking it to a dealer, and/or sending it to Alpine. If someone has had similar problems and taken it to Alpine, I'd probably rather not waste my time at the dealer.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 08-21-2010 | 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSX JD
Hi Guys, Just bought an 04 manual and having some initial problems with the navi. The screen will turn on fine when the car has not been running for a while. But if I shut the car off for a short period of time, then restart it, the navi won't turn on (just a black screen)! I know it's not the screen itself because audio/AC still work.

Then it seems to randomly turn on if I'm in the car long enough.

I have noticed the advice for taking it to a dealer, and/or sending it to Alpine. If someone has had similar problems and taken it to Alpine, I'd probably rather not waste my time at the dealer.

Can anyone help? Thanks
I'm having a similar issue as you.... What was your resolution?