Navi constant reboot problem? Alpine DVD Drive/Acura 2004 TSX (Honda)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi constant reboot problem? Alpine DVD Drive/Acura 2004 TSX (Honda)?

RE: 2004 TSX AT/Navi (updated DVD to 2009 version) 115,000 mi

Hi,

Radio functions work fine. Navi never gets to legalese "Declaration" screen, detail follows.

Navi reaches first system screen only, goes dark, then back to that screen as if rebooting, may after a few minutes go to Navi "Enter code:" screen, which also keeps rebooting (or goes back to first screen). Code entry by touch-screen or by joystick cannot be completed here (may slowly sometimes recognize and permit entry 1 or 2 of the 4 digits before "rebooting").

Map/Guide+Menu+Cancel button diagnostic combo that has been posted does not lead to a new screen.

Ejected DVD, and it looks fine - not scratched up.

Wish I could swap in a working PC's DVD drive - to be sure it's the DVD unit that's bad - seems to be the most common complaint - but that surely ain't a standard IDE or SCSI connector…

Are the DVD drives specific to '04 TSXs or would any Alpine drive for any Honda - or for any vehicle brand - car do?

If they are specific units, looks like Alpine remanufacture or an eBay used drive is $350-$400 minimum. Have not consulted dealer yet.

Thanks for any info or troubleshooting suggestions.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Found relevant threads. Lens cleaning failed.

Tried different search terms and found several more threads relevant to similar problems. Among them, those started by VT-TSX and Sutitan.

Unfortunately, pulling the unit and cleaning the lens (which in this case was not visibly dirty) did not fix it. (By the way I used magic scotch tape to keep the center spring clip assembly together during removal/replacement.)

FWIW, the trauma of a change in temperature and or the dis- and re-assembly succeed in knocking the unit into booting through once when it was re-installed. Though not again after that.

May be a while, but will update for others next when and if it is resolved.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samh
May be a while, but will update for others next when and if it is resolved.
Finally went for the $358 flat-rate repair by Alpine Electronics as mentioned in the other threads. Called first to confirm price, and acceptable payment methods. Fixed within 4 business days after Alpine received the unit. Sent back UPS in a safe, fitted foam-insert case. Working well.

-
PS Wonder if the new Honda Acura models still use DVD drives, rather than something modern with no moving parts like a solid-state card/drive, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
good thread man. Glad you shared with everyone.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
3rd Gear

Exclamation

My Navigation has been giving me a similar issue. Acura told me that they do not replace or repair the older systems any longer and recommended and aftermarket repair. I can't seem to get or find an alpine telephone number to get info from them. What info do they have where you can reach someone to get this replaced?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KevinderrrTSX
My Navigation has been giving me a similar issue. Acura told me that they do not replace or repair the older systems any longer and recommended and aftermarket repair. I can't seem to get or find an alpine telephone number to get info from them. What info do they have where you can reach someone to get this replaced?
from

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company/contact/

Fixed & Portable Navigation Technical Support

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

(888) NAV-HELP (1-888-628-4357)

Best of luck.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

I kinda am having the same issue but my touchscreen or joy stick wont work when i am trying to put in the code and I also cant get the radio work. Im thinking about sending it in to alpine. Did I have to send just the dvd unit in or is the the whole radio navigation console as well?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sukda21
I kinda am having the same issue but my touchscreen or joy stick wont work when i am trying to put in the code and I also cant get the radio work. Im thinking about sending it in to alpine. Did I have to send just the dvd unit in or is the the whole radio navigation console as well?
As far as I know it's a DVD reader only program. But can't hurt to give Alpine a call. They might have advice on your additional issues.

In my case, while the Navi was bad the radio remained working fine via knobs and push-buttons (of course no touch-screen audio controls).

Good luck.