My TSX just got wrecked.... one month old :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by compguy7
OK EVERYONE, If you have dealt with these specifics, let me know....

So I have been battling with the insurance adjuster, body shop etc. on the methods of repair or whether the car will be totalled (mainly from the fact that the car is like 500-1000 away from being totalled..... but they want to "try" other repairs to bring the cost down)

Well... I found this article... which states Honda's policy on frame sectioning etc...

http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/o...04/102504b.pdf

It seems like I am pulling teeth to either convince them to total the car, or at least quote the "right" repairs (as per Honda/Acura) requirements....

One of the things that is bothering me the most is the fact that they are like:... "Well, we'll know tommorrow what will happen....." That was a week ago....

I am treading on thin ice with this whole thing, and its super frustrating.... especially when you consider the fact the accident wasn't my fault!!!!.... And I also don't think I should just blantly accept "insurance company.... " approved repair procedures versus "OEM procedures"......

Any thoughts.... I'm stressing out over here.... my car was severly hurt, and I just want closure!!!!!!

And I also noticed I have a lot of quotes in this post....
You can argue with the insurance company until you're blue in the face, but it won't change anything. They will still refuse to total the car. The payout is more on a totaled car so they would rather see it fixed. Time to consider trading the car in for a fresh one.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Quattro in.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is ridiculous Allstate! I agree they don't want to total because they have to pay either way since the other guy also had Allstate. First of all you better make sure this is covered under that guy's liability insurance and not your collision coverage.

Maybe you should talk to the dealer where you got your car and tell them how Allstate and the bodyshop wants to do substandard repairs and what arguements you can use against Allstate to get repairs in line with Acura specs. Is the bodyshop the car is currently at recommended by any Acura dealers. Maybe the dealer can get Acura TLC to cover or get you a discount on tow costs to a body shop Acura recommends that way if they have to fix the car it will be done the right way and no shortcut will be taken.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Viking
That is ridiculous Allstate! I agree they don't want to total because they have to pay either way since the other guy also had Allstate. First of all you better make sure this is covered under that guy's liability insurance and not your collision coverage.

Maybe you should talk to the dealer where you got your car and tell them how Allstate and the bodyshop wants to do substandard repairs and what arguements you can use against Allstate to get repairs in line with Acura specs. Is the bodyshop the car is currently at recommended by any Acura dealers. Maybe the dealer can get Acura TLC to cover or get you a discount on tow costs to a body shop Acura recommends that way if they have to fix the car it will be done the right way and no shortcut will be taken.
The body shop is at an acura approved/recommended one..... The problem seems to be more with the insurance adjuster "dictating" the repairs, as opposed to the body shop recommending or dictating the repairs. And yeah, I am well aware of how Allstate is viewing this claim.... like I stated before, its a constant yoyo of modifying the quote underneath the original 17500 quote to put it under a "fixable" state....

Another problem...NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING!!!!... so like, I know more about insurance and acura approved procedures then what the dealers or certified body shops do. I shouldn't be the one that comes to someone with what is technically required to do a certified repair. I call the Dealer.... "CALL Acura Client Services...."... I call them "Call your dealer..... uhmm. excuse me..... --- what are you exactly here to do?... listen to me when I complain about the door handle ripping my armani suit???? ....

As everyone can see... I am freaking pissed at this whole situation..... 15 days after the accident, and still not even close to a "plan of closure",,,

oh yeah, by the way... since the accident happened in Illinois, and they have "comparitive negligence" laws, they are making the claim come from my coverage until they can agree upon a figure (Allstate vs Allstate...)
Old 11-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Quattro in.....

Does the body shop get paid if they total the car? It seems like everybody is against you.

If you are certain this car should be totaled, would you consider going to a lawyer? Call Allstate and tell them you want everybody's names dealing with this matter, claims adjuster, supervisors etc. and that you will be getting an attorney who will be dealing with this matter because you feel Allstate is violating the "Unfair Insurance Practices Act" or an "Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Act”. Not sure which one your state has but it might be worth it to look into.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Does the body shop get paid if they total the car? It seems like everybody is against you.

If you are certain this car should be totaled, would you consider going to a lawyer? Call Allstate and tell them you want everybody's names dealing with this matter, claims adjuster, supervisors etc. and that you will be getting an attorney who will be dealing with this matter because you feel Allstate is violating the "Unfair Insurance Practices Act" or an "Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Act”. Not sure which one your state has but it might be worth it to look into.
Viking...

Yeah... Actually tonight as I was picking my mail up out of the mailbox I talked to my neighbor who is a paralegal for reputable firm, and I am going to talk to them tommorrow. I am afraid this is the only way these people are going to take me serious.... I really feel my age plays into the way I am getting treated..... I think they look as me as some punk kid who has been given everything as opposed to the independent hard working professional that I am.....

Thanks for the tips... ! I'll follow up as I gain more info...
Old 11-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Quattro in.....

Viking...

Yeah... Actually tonight as I was picking my mail up out of the mailbox I talked to my neighbor who is a paralegal for reputable firm, and I am going to talk to them tommorrow. I am afraid this is the only way these people are going to take me serious.... I really feel my age plays into the way I am getting treated..... I think they look as me as some punk kid who has been given everything as opposed to the independent hard working professional that I am.....

Thanks for the tips... ! I'll follow up as I gain more info...
I had the same problem about 11 years ago. Accident was with a Fedex van that rear ended me, the driver assured me it was his fault and Fedex would pay the damages. Well after Fedex's insurer came down to assess the claim, they said NY has no fault and would only pay 50% of the damages $1,400. I talked to my insurance agent Allstate, at the time. He said honestly since the damages would only result in a $200 dollar cost to Allstate, thier legal department wouldn't make a case and I would be out the $500 deductible and rates going up if I went through my collision, because Allstate would incur more legal fees than what it would cost them to settle.

Luckily I was working for a political consulting firm at the time and one of our clients, a Wall street lawyer was running for city council and he said to use his name. I called Fedex back and wanted everybody's name that I dealt with and told them I obtained council and gave them his name and let them know he was running for office and ensured me he would make this a highly public case on how a big company was taking advantage of me. And how pictures of the scene of the accident and damages on my car clearly showed that he ran into me and I was not at fault. The next day Fedex decided to pay 100% of the damages and their insurer sent me a check.

Hope you have the same luck!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:50 AM
Crusin Thur in my MR TSX!

My sympathies goes out to you. I am glad you fine. I just had mine smacked up this weekend parked, so I feel you.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by matelot
OMG that is terrible ! just one month then this.
Sorry to hear that and hope everything works out for you.

BTW, just curious, what was your speed when you hit ?
I think that I was going between 30-40 mph before I slammed on my break.... I honestly can't remember how long it was after such that I hit the truck... prolly a second or less.....

So, for all practical purposes, lets say the accident happened at 30-35 mph, with the other driver's inertia around 35 mph.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE:

Hey everybody.... So I just got word yesterday that they are totalling my car.... which is a good thing!!!..... They had tried doing some preliminary repairs, and wind up splitting one of the frame rails....

So once the process is complete, I am on my way to a new car....

I talked to the dealer, and in a week and a half a 2005 TSX of my color choice should be in....

My question is this: There seem to be 800 million posts regarding rattles, etc on this car.... I never noticed any in my pretotalled-tsx, but concerned about that issue with the new 2005 TSX, and then there's the question of should I get the same car again!.... I mean, I love the car, and its kept me safe, but I know of all the sporadic issues relating to the "infamous" rattles...

Thanks....
Old 12-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Boy Genius

Hey, congrats! Still sorry about your old car, but at least it'll be totalled and you'll be getting a new one. Hope you enjoy your new ride!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Instructor

UPDATE:

My question is this: There seem to be 800 million posts regarding rattles, etc on this car.... I never noticed any in my pretotalled-tsx, but concerned about that issue with the new 2005 TSX, and then there's the question of should I get the same car again!.... I mean, I love the car, and its kept me safe, but I know of all the sporadic issues relating to the "infamous" rattles...

Thanks....
Sorry you've had such a lousy run of luck, but be glad it's totalled. As far as the rattles , etc., go, remember that there are quite a few of us who've had no problems at all. I've got >16K miles with nothing more than an occassional low grade rattle that I can only hear because the car is so quite otherwise. Beyond that the car has been perfect - and I'm a real anal SOB. If I were in your situation I'd almost certainly get another one just like the one I have.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Quattro in.....

Gald they totalled you car!

Regarding the rattle issue, not every TSX is going to have that issue. Knock on wood, I don't have any rattles on my 2004.

On car forums people are going to post their problems because they want to see if other members had the problem and how they got it fixed. IMHO this is the best TSX forum and reason why so many people post their problems here hoping we have come across their problem before. Reason for so many threads is because "noobs" or newbies don't search before starting new threads.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Gald they totalled you car!

Regarding the rattle issue, not every TSX is going to have that issue. Knock on wood, I don't have any rattles on my 2004.

On car forums people are going to post their problems because they want to see if other members had the problem and how they got it fixed. IMHO this is the best TSX forum and reason why so many people post their problems here hoping we have come across their problem before. Reason for so many threads is because "noobs" or newbies don't search before starting new threads.

Viking... I totally agree with ya.... I bet the moderators go crazy referencing people to specific threads.

And yeah, compared to my previous cars, I have felt the ACURA, the TSX in my case, to be one of the best built cars. I also stand behind this after my recent accident. I test drove the BMW 3Series, Audi A4, Mazda 6, Lincoln LS, & VW Passat, and in the end felt that the TSX had the best performance, quality of materials, handling, and overall aesthetics for the money... which is why I more then likely will buy another TSX...
Old 12-02-2004, 05:24 PM
cmf
ATCer

Glad to hear they finally came around and totalled it. As far as rattles are concerned, I think some people are a little too picky. You are not gonna find any car that is not gonna make some type of noise at some time. I have heard things, but too minor to complain about, which I have heard in every other car I have had. They come and go, and it's really not too big a deal.
Either way, I say get the 05, and good luck w/ whatever it is you do get.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

I got rear-ended also, worst part is the other car must have crashed @ night and flew scene. No pics cuz i had it fixed out of insurance becuase it was in my first 3 months of ever having insurance in name. I cost me 1300 to build the trunck, new bumper and tail lights and unjam left rear door.
I have subframe damage which acrura wants 700 for the part and wont even tell me which part plus 10 hrs of labor @ 125.
If i would have known about frame damage i would have gone thru insurance, was afraid they drop me as new driver and since fixing the body damage was only 300 more than deductible i paid out.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by defeasance
I got rear-ended also, worst part is the other car must have crashed @ night and flew scene. No pics cuz i had it fixed out of insurance becuase it was in my first 3 months of ever having insurance in name. I cost me 1300 to build the trunck, new bumper and tail lights and unjam left rear door.
I have subframe damage which acrura wants 700 for the part and wont even tell me which part plus 10 hrs of labor @ 125.
If i would have known about frame damage i would have gone thru insurance, was afraid they drop me as new driver and since fixing the body damage was only 300 more than deductible i paid out.
Wow, this thread is almost 2 years old...