My TSX just got wrecked.... one month old :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TSX just got wrecked.... one month old :-(

So this weekend I decided to come up to Chicago for some time off to "get away". Last night after checking into a different hotel, I left the parking lot. Didn't get but just out of the parking lot and down the road a ways and this guy takes a left turn in the street and cuts me off, thus me t-boning him. Only the right front air bag deployed, but the damage looks to be pretty extensive. They towed the car to some local towing company/fix it company. My insurance company is Allstate... and I am awaiting a call back from the claim agent. Has anyone had this happen to them? The run down.... Just bought the car roughly a month ago............ Got in a car wreck 3 hours from home...... Don't know if they are going to total the car or not. At this point with it being so new, and the probable chance of the frame being messed up, I would rather they total the car. Also, if they decide to fix the car, I think I would rather have the work done around where I live, and that brings up the mess of getting the thing towed 220 miles. Then that brings up the fact of if they fix it, will it ever be the same car again?!!!? ok, so yeah I am kinda freaking out..... specially since I just got the thing and its my first BRAND BRAND new car....

Any thoughts?!!!

I will upload pictures when I get a chance..

Btw... I hit a Toyota Sequia ... those things are tanks.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Damn...that sucks dude.

I hope the guy in the Sequoia gets what he deserves.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel for you. I know it's not an easy thing to do, but just write down your list of question/requests, send them to your claims agent/insurance broker, and take a day off to let the dust settle, vent the stress, and then you'll feel better.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:15 AM
who's right, who's wrong?

sauceman is right. Allstate usually isn't really difficult to work with, so that's a plus. Was there any fault established? If he's at fault, then all your insurance agent needs to do is coordinate with his insurance company.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Damn...that sucks dude.

I hope the guy in the Sequoia gets what he deserves.
I wrecked my front end somewhat and while it hurt, the repair shop did a great job and its still drives as good as the day I bought it. make sure if its not totalled that it gets done right.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Instructor

1. Does Acura TLC help out in situations like this? I'd check the website for you if I wasn't so damn lazy. (Out of coffee this AM)

2. Don't people usually leave Chicago when they want to "get away"?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Acura TLC will get you a free tow to the nearest Acura dealer, but that's about it in this case.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear, but good to hear that you are ok. Sounds like you were not at fault. I hope you got a police report, Allstate is my insurance company and they are pretty easy to work with.

Let us know how things turn out.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Race Director

Damm sorry dude , glad your ok, just be positive, everything will work out !
Old 11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Sucks man. Sorry to hear that.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by compguy7
Then that brings up the fact of if they fix it, will it ever be the same car again?!!!? ok, so yeah I am kinda freaking out..... specially since I just got the thing and its my first BRAND BRAND new car....
When you get the car checked out, make sure they check the frame to see if its bent or cracked anywhere.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Quattro in.....

Sorry to hear that At least your okay.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Instructor

shit happens be safe than sorry

alright.. see no matter how careful u r .. others will hit u. this is y i buy "GAP" protection for the loan. car insurance will pay for today's car value. not what u owe the bank. i finance my cars with no down. and loss less money this way when this kind of thing happen. u lost one or two month pymts and walkway. if u put down. u wont owe more than what the cars worth but.. you loss your down pymt and hole 9 yards.
this is y i dont pay cash either..
GAP will pay the difference between what u owe vs. insurance payout.
if u owe 30k and insurance pay out is 25k. the GAP will pay the 5k 4 u. and if u dont have the GAP u pay the difference and no car.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by achan268888
alright.. see no matter how careful u r .. others will hit u. this is y i buy "GAP" protection for the loan. car insurance will pay for today's car value. not what u owe the bank. i finance my cars with no down. and loss less money this way when this kind of thing happen. u lost one or two month pymts and walkway. if u put down. u wont owe more than what the cars worth but.. you loss your down pymt and hole 9 yards.
if u owe 30k and insurance pay out is 25k. the GAP will pay the 5k 4 u. and if u dont have the GAP u pay the difference and no car.
This is why it's nice that leases from Acura include "GAP" protection.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

I bought GAP insurance when I bought the car.... for specific cases just like what happened. But after talking with my assigned ALLSTATE claims person, it sounds like its highly unlikely that they will total the car, just from the sure fact of it being brand new. She stated this even if there were frame problems. This scares me. What's even worse is the bullcrap I am dealing with:

UPDATE!!

1. I spent all day today just figuring out how to get back to Fort Wayne.... I made it.... and its like 9:00 p.m now.... Had to take a Bus because Allstate has been giving me the run around... I am going to start being more firm with them starting tommorrow.

CASE 1: They didn't want to cover the cost of me getting a one-way rental car to Fort Wayne (FYI... Fort Wayne to Chicago is roughly 170 some miles)... Besides that fact, I was tasked with the job of calling all the different rental car places to figure this out.... I figured this was part of their job????

CASE 2: The car is currently sitting in an auto body shop lot from where they towed it after the accident. Apparently it may be up to 3 days before they even take a look at it. I told them that if they do wind up fixing it, that I want the work done back in Fort Wayne, that way if something is done right I can get it resolved. She stated that Allstate only covers a "reasonable" tow..... and since this happened "way outside" of where I live, "you may have to cover the 400-500 tow surcharge.

--- I am beginning to think that if something bad happens to you when you are 30-60 plus miles outside of where you immediately live, that you are screwed??!!!

CASE 3: The accident wasn't my damn fault!!!!!! Also, the other driver was insured with Allstate..... so I thought at first this could be a good thing, but the more I think about it the more I think this is why I am getting the run around. ---- Because its coming out of their pocket either way.... I am sure they would be a lot more of an advocate for me if they weren't writing the check....... It just bull crap.

Oh, and also while I am ranting.... I tried calling Acura TLC to see if they could do anything for me earlier today.... after waiting on hold for 15 min, I gave up, as I couldn't wait any longer cuz I needed to catch a cab to get outta that dang town.....

And yes, My mind is in a million tangents.... but how does all this affect my bumper to bumper warranty.... half the reason I bought a brand new car was because of that....

So yes, I am going to upload pictures here shortly....

Thanks for all the concern about me and your condolences.... If anybody has any pixie dust they can sprinkle over a PWP 5AT Non-Navi TSX in the Chicago North Shore Area..... please do....
Old 11-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

Oh, and also while I am ranting.... I tried calling Acura TLC to see if they could do anything for me earlier today.... after waiting on hold for 15 min, I gave up, as I couldn't wait any longer cuz I needed to catch a cab to get outta that dang town.....
Really? My experience with Acura TLC, when my brother crashed the family TL, was prompt service and friendly service. Maybe you happened to call on a day that a lot of accidents were happening?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

well as a PWP non-navi 6MT owner you can go from this

to this:

Old 11-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Team Owner

Ouch...when was that, xizor? Link to the thread?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by xizor
well as a PWP non-navi 6MT owner you can go from this

Haha... I thought it was a crack on the hood.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Ouch...when was that, xizor? Link to the thread?
April, 4 monthes after I got my car. the thread was here, pics don't work b/c my server changed ports.

it took a long time to fix it, but it was worth it, i love my car even more now
Old 11-09-2004, 11:32 PM
I make Boom Boom in

I hear Allstate is a bunch of fockers when it comes to paying out claims. I was with Allstate for a while and never had any problems with them..but I think there is a website like ihateallastate.com or something with grievances from former Allstate customers and employees.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

So here are some links to my picts of the accident....NOTE... I am going to upload these to my webserver at work, but my vpn is down, and quite frankly I am really too tired to get involved with that, SOOO.. until tommorrow, I threw em up on a tripod site. Here's the links because I think tripod recognizes them getting parsed in html. I'll make it pretty tommorrow......... the post.... not the car.... I need a lot more to make the car pretty again :-/

Go to this Photo Album url first if stupid tripod is hatin'....

http://compguy6500.tripod.com/accident/

These make all sorts of emotions flow.....

http://compguy6500.tripod.com/sad_2.jpg

http://compguy6500.tripod.com/sad_1.jpg

http://compguy6500.tripod.com/sad_3.jpg

Oh and.... here's the truck that pulled out in front of me..... hmm.... yeah.... not as much damage.... BUT LOOK!!!.... on the running boards is one of my xenon lamps!! :-/

http://compguy6500.tripod.com/truck_1.jpg
Old 11-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Boy Genius

Ouch, sorry to hear about your ride, but as everyone else says, the important thing is that you're all right. Sucks that it happens to such a new ride though. If it makes you feel any better, my ex-gf was driving her brand new Acura home from the dealership (her first brand new car as well) when it got rear-ended - she didn't have it 30 minutes and it was already violated, then gone for a week to be fixed. Fortunately the car came back without any problems, although my ex-gf couldn't say the same for her back pain.

At the end of the day, the TSX is just a car and it could have been much worse. If anything, one of the reasons you bought the TSX was for the protection it gave you in that accident. Just step back and count your blessings. Best wishes to you and your TSX!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

UPDATED: Here are the picts from the wreck.... sad times

So here are some links to my picts of the accident....NOTE... I am going to upload these to my webserver at work, but my vpn is down, and quite frankly I am really too tired to get involved with that, SOOO.. until tommorrow, I threw em up on a tripod site. Here's the links because I think tripod recognizes them getting parsed in html. I'll make it pretty tommorrow......... the post.... not the car.... I need a lot more to make the car pretty again :-/
Here are the picts in the forum. Today I talked to my Acura Dealer, and they recommeneded a body shop (looks like all the import dealers here in Fort Wayne have 'agreements' with them) and they are going to chicago tommorrow to pick up the car. Until then, my loaner car is a Dodge Magnum (no hemi...) ... the thing is a beast.... size wise...

Oh, and the best part... look at what happened to the truck.... yeah, uhm...

Old 11-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO, they're not going to total it. I'd be surprised if you have $10K worth in damage.

No suspension links should have been damaged, save maybe for the radius rod (do we even have one on the TSX), but that's not going to increase the bill by much..
Old 11-11-2004, 08:35 AM

wow, the damage to the tsx looks pretty bad

glad your ok
Old 11-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Yeah, damage doesn't look too severe. Even with labor and everything, to repair the entire passenger side front suspension, repaint the front end, replace and repaint the roof panel, and repaint the sides and back of my mom's TL, the bill came to $13k or so, and this looks like a lot of surface damage, but nothing too severe as far as mechanical components.

And my brother was driving the TL when he caused all that damage.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DEI99662
When you get the car checked out, make sure they check the frame to see if its bent or cracked anywhere.
So they transported the car today from Chicago to Fort Wayne.... Being the way I am, I drove past the auto collision place on the way home from work. The TSX looks even worse with the loose debri stripped away..... and there appears to be QUITE a bit of structural damage to the car - various parts of the front passenger side frame appear to be a combination of broken, cracked, bent, and warped. I may go take my digital camera with me and take some pictures of it tonight after I go to the gym. How do they "quote" fix a frame with like parts of it missing.... that just bothers me?!?!!.....

And as I stated earlier, the AllState rep said its highly unlikely they will total the car..... I just want it to be the way it was before, but unfortunetly, I am thinking that its not going to be. Maybe I could be wrong, and it could be as good as new, ..... but then again..... yeah....

I haven't had an official estimate of the work yet....

Any more thoughts people???

Old 11-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Boy Genius

I think most policies allow you to insist on genuine manufacturer parts, which obviously cost more but which the insurers discourage. Check to make sure you can do this, then get as much of the car replaced with new and real Acura/Honda parts as possible to drive the price up. If the car isn't going to be totalled, then at least you can have the peace of mind that all the parts are as good as they can be. If the insurer refuses to total the car, I'm not sure there's much more you can do besides selling the car after it's been fixed, but in that case I'd wait to see how well the repairs come out first.

The worst case scenario is that they refuse to total it, and the cost of repairs does wind up exceeding the threshhold to total after the work has begun (which usually means there were more problems than they initially estimated). If that happens, as above, I'd wait until the car is fixed and see how it feels, but if you don't have peace of mind, then I'd sell it and move on.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:40 PM
cmf
ATCer

Damn, that sucks. Air bags deployed, messed up frame, that car will never be close to the same. I agree w/ lokman. If they end up fixing it, sell it, and try again. Let someone else deal w/ the problems.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

I had just wrecked my TSX about a month ago and still haven't got it back. I am not rushing the body shop however because I want them to take there time and fix it right, not half ass it because I want my car back now. I know how people in a rush can cut corners to save time. Also I had frame damage to my car and the body shop guy told me the car doesn't have a frame quit like the older cars did. They are built in smaller sections that are tack welded together, so when a peice is bent or twisted ect they just remove it, order a new piece and tack it back in place. This means there is really no chance of haveing any problems with the frame unless the body shop doesn't do it right. For example there should be no way possible for the car to drive sideways down the road like the older ones would do after being in a major accident. This is not my opinion though, it is just the information that I was told by the bodyshop from the foreman handling my car. If you are told differently by someone please post it so that I may ask questions about my own car, cause like you I just want it to drive the same as before the accident.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by yzf856
Also I had frame damage to my car and the body shop guy told me the car doesn't have a frame quit like the older cars did. They are built in smaller sections that are tack welded together, so when a peice is bent or twisted ect they just remove it, order a new piece and tack it back in place. This means there is really no chance of haveing any problems with the frame unless the body shop doesn't do it right. For example there should be no way possible for the car to drive sideways down the road like the older ones would do after being in a major accident. This is not my opinion though, it is just the information that I was told by the bodyshop from the foreman handling my car. If you are told differently by someone please post it so that I may ask questions about my own car, cause like you I just want it to drive the same as before the accident.
This is exactly what my shop told me as well. The front subframe on my car had to be replaced (what the radiator attaches to). They showed me where the new subframe was tack welded on and it drives perfect.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yzf856
I had just wrecked my TSX about a month ago and still haven't got it back. I am not rushing the body shop however because I want them to take there time and fix it right, not half ass it because I want my car back now. I know how people in a rush can cut corners to save time. Also I had frame damage to my car and the body shop guy told me the car doesn't have a frame quit like the older cars did. They are built in smaller sections that are tack welded together, so when a peice is bent or twisted ect they just remove it, order a new piece and tack it back in place. This means there is really no chance of haveing any problems with the frame unless the body shop doesn't do it right. For example there should be no way possible for the car to drive sideways down the road like the older ones would do after being in a major accident. This is not my opinion though, it is just the information that I was told by the bodyshop from the foreman handling my car. If you are told differently by someone please post it so that I may ask questions about my own car, cause like you I just want it to drive the same as before the accident.
Thanks for the info guys.... I still haven't heard back from the collision place yet.... I am waiting on the initial quote to fix it.... I talked to the GM from the acura dealer where I bought my car, and he said that he was going to try to convince the body shop to total the car.... dunno how well that is going to happen, but said he has done it before?????? (The dealer is who referred me to the shop I am going to..... the local mercedes, bmw, and acura dealerships have agreements with them, so I guess it would be safe to assume that they do decent work).... but anyways, I am still nervous about it all because I know as much now as I do 10 min after the accident. (Hmm.... that was just about a week ago this time )

Oh yeah..... the best part.... I just made my first payment on the car a couple days ago...
Old 11-15-2004, 06:14 PM
6MT Snob

Glad your okay..

Sorry your car's fub'd however
Old 11-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Update

Talked to the Body Shop today.... They got the initial quote done..... some $ 12,500 worth of damage.... Tommorrow they are actually going to start taking the car apart, to verify if there is anymore damage..... I am guessing the "total loss" threshold for the car to be around 17-18,000, but then again I am not sure what is considered the "cash value" by the insurance company. The body shop manager is sympathetic with my feelings on prefering for the car to be totalled, so we'll see if that maybe helps out.

Anybody have any thoughts on approaching all this or such..... Allstate's threshold is apparently 65 percent of the cash value....

BTW xizor and yzf856, you guys are correct with details about the frame....

Thanks for everyone's insight....
Old 11-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

I'm sorry to hear that other people have wrecked their TSX's...I can relate...messed up my baby about 4 months after I got it...it cost about 12000+ to fix mine up...
Old 11-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Instructor

This Car Is Total Loss!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

damn. that sucks. i hate accidents. wish people would drive safer out there.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Intermediate

This Car Is Total Loss!
OK EVERYONE, If you have dealt with these specifics, let me know....

So I have been battling with the insurance adjuster, body shop etc. on the methods of repair or whether the car will be totalled (mainly from the fact that the car is like 500-1000 away from being totalled..... but they want to "try" other repairs to bring the cost down)

Well... I found this article... which states Honda's policy on frame sectioning etc...

http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/o...04/102504b.pdf

It seems like I am pulling teeth to either convince them to total the car, or at least quote the "right" repairs (as per Honda/Acura) requirements....

One of the things that is bothering me the most is the fact that they are like:... "Well, we'll know tommorrow what will happen....." That was a week ago....

I am treading on thin ice with this whole thing, and its super frustrating.... especially when you consider the fact the accident wasn't my fault!!!!.... And I also don't think I should just blantly accept "insurance company.... " approved repair procedures versus "OEM procedures"......

Any thoughts.... I'm stressing out over here.... my car was severly hurt, and I just want closure!!!!!!

And I also noticed I have a lot of quotes in this post....
Old 11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned

OMG that is terrible ! just one month then this.
Sorry to hear that and hope everything works out for you.

BTW, just curious, what was your speed when you hit ?

Quick Reply: My TSX just got wrecked.... one month old :-(