mirror shakes with moonroof oopen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mirror shakes with moonroof oopen?

Well, i went to my dealer today (Acura of Avon in CT) to take a second and more thorough test drive of a tsx. my salesman was very busy with 2 deliveries tonight so he had me sign a "loaner agreement" and i got the sales managers tsx for a little over an hour by myself. It was a very nice experience as i enjoy not having a salesperson there when i test drive.

The car was great and it was a really warm sunny day. i opened the moonroof (all the way back, not tilted) and when going between 40 and 60mph i noticed that the rear view mirror shook very badly. anything under 40 and over 60 or 65 and it stopped. i am assuming that this has to do with the way that air comes in when the roof is open.

does any one else get this problem? i am assuming not since i have not read about it here and it was very noticeable right away as it made some noise as well. as soon as i closed the moonroof it was fine.

i should be buying in the next 2 to 3 weeks and am hoping that this is not an all around problem as i love to drive around with a moonroof open. Thanks for the info.

CHRIS
Old 04-29-2004, 10:37 PM
such a dirty birdy

I don't recall anything said about moonroof open/closed, but some people have commented before about a shaking or vibrating rearview mirror, esp when driving over rough pavement. Not to say there isn't a wind vibration issue as well. Either way, it seems like a fairly minor issue.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mirror shakes whether the sunroof is open or not. If you play the tunes loud, it's gonna shake. My first thought was the rear window's vibrating, then I realized the rearview mirror was the culprit. As far as test driving by yourself without a salesperson in the car is the only way to test drive.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:16 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the replies. My experience was that it only shook when the moonroof was open (and going between 40 and 60mph). I didnt have the stereo on at all and it was shaking badly, but as soon as i closed the moonroof it stopped. I suppose that it is not the biggest deal, but i would definitely expect a solution from honda/acura as a $27k semi-luxury car should not have this problem. Thanks again for the replies.

Chris
Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 AM
A Saitama Garage

Yes. I get the same vibration noise and mirror shaking when the moonroof is open all the way. I heard it in early March when I had my car just two days and I thought something serious was wrong. The simplest way to fix it is to open the moonroof just a little bit less than the entire way. In my experience this solves the problem. Hope this helps you.

Chuck

ps-Don't let it effect your purchasing decision.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, I have the same problem as well...it seems to be caused by the wind diffuser when the moonroof is open all the way. if i hold down the wind diffuser the vibration tends to ease up a little...i was actually thinking of getting the wind deflector accessory to remedy this but i'm not sure if that would fix this issue or not

don't know if anyone with a wind deflector has this problem?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:13 PM
8th Gear

Yeah, I suppose I will test drive again before i buy and try to close it a small amount to see if that takes care of the problem. The wind diffuser is not an option in my opinion. I just don't think that they look good at all...but thats just my opinion. Thanks again for all the replies.

Chris
Old 04-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered AssHat

You may have been getting harmonic wind buffetting. Open up the back windows a tad and it'll go away.

Most cars have a nice resonance around 60Hz anyway which will cause all sorts of things to vibrate.