Messy oil change (filter removal) -- tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Messy oil change (filter removal) -- tips?

For anyone whose done their own oil change on the TSX, have they also noticed that removing the filter is an extremely messy task? I even had a ziploc bag around the filter but a lot of oil still found its way between the bag and the block, which of course means it runs down onto the axle and onto the subframe assembly, creating a mess.

I recall reading that Acura had devised some kind of deflector plate that I assume goes below the filter and directs all of the runoff oil into a canister of some kind? Anyone know about this? I'd love to get my hands on one, or make my own, but have no idea where to look as it's probably a shop-only 'special service tool' that Acura gets from head office.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks to Google being able to search 3-letter words (and this site not), I found this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37916

Paging Moda-way -- any chance you can supply me with a pic of what you mean with the shop towels? Sounds like a solution!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This is the Honda magnetic deflector. Helps direct the oil filter drain away from the framerail. Not perfect, but helps somewhat.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/oildeflector.jpg

Link here....http://www.handaaccessories.com/crvmaint05.html about 2/3 down the page
Old 10-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just use the plastic bag that we get our loaves of bread in. It's bigger than a ziploc bag and being softer is easier to press against the block to prevent drips.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for me i just let the oil filter's oil drip down slowly until the oil is almost empty inside the filter......and just use a few dirty towels to clean it up afterward.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I take 2 paper towels, folded together, stuff them in from the oil drain door and create a funnel with them into the oil pan. Its cheap and works well.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by curls
Thanks to Google being able to search 3-letter words (and this site not), I found this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37916

Paging Moda-way -- any chance you can supply me with a pic of what you mean with the shop towels? Sounds like a solution!

Yeah, I just changed my oil, but I can do a quick jack up and show you.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

i just use a shopping bag.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by moda_way
Yeah, I just changed my oil, but I can do a quick jack up and show you.
That would be great!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Take 2 pieces of shop towel (for regular paper towel, make it 4 sheets) and fold them into 1 large square along the perferation.

I then just stuff it in through the oil drain door to form a funnel...

...until it is under the inboard CV of the passenger half-shaft.

Then I just let gravity do the rest. Granted the paper towel will be saturated, so don't just go ripping it out of there, but it will significantly minimize any spillage on the under tray if not completely eliminate it. Basically, once the filter is off and in the drain pan, I clean the fiter area with a clean shop paper towel and put the new filter up there. I don't waste any time at all.

EDIT: Thank god I decided to take these pics b/c you might be able to see I had some oil coming out onto the oil drain door. My filter wasn't tight enough eventhough I did tighten it down. oops That's one I haven't done before.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 PM

Cool man! Thanks for the pics. I was thinking you made some long narrow trough or something... but this is much easier.

Probably not a good idea to ask you (considering yours was loose!), but do you tighten the filter 7/8 of a turn, or just guesstimate it until it's fairly tight? I can't really get exactly 7/8 because of the number of times I have to reposition the filter wrench in the god-awful area Honda gave us to work in.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Cool man! Thanks for the pics. I was thinking you made some long narrow trough or something... but this is much easier.
It does form a trough and thus drains out to the oil pan.

Probably not a good idea to ask you (considering yours was loose!), but do you tighten the filter 7/8 of a turn, or just guesstimate it until it's fairly tight? I can't really get exactly 7/8 because of the number of times I have to reposition the filter wrench in the god-awful area Honda gave us to work in.
First off, I use a filter cap with a 3/8" socket wrench, so tightening mine is very easy. My process is to take the filter to hand tight and then go about a 1/4 or less more of a turn. It is a poor amount of space for us to change the oil on our backs, but honestly, when the cars are up in the air on a lift, its not that bad. My wife's Civic has the oil filter draining just near the exhaust. That sucks because it takes an act of god to not get oil on it and then stink the car up to high heaven when she drives. I have to use the method where you slow drain the filter then remove it.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Instructor

For anyone whose done their own oil change on the TSX, have they also noticed that removing the filter is an extremely messy task? I even had a ziploc bag around the filter but a lot of oil still found its way between the bag and the block, which of course means it runs down onto the axle and onto the subframe assembly, creating a mess.

I recall reading that Acura had devised some kind of deflector plate that I assume goes below the filter and directs all of the runoff oil into a canister of some kind? Anyone know about this? I'd love to get my hands on one, or make my own, but have no idea where to look as it's probably a shop-only 'special service tool' that Acura gets from head office.
Replace what moda_way does with a rag, and that's what I do.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 PM
5th Gear

This is one of the few things I dislike about the TSX. I had the same issue with the Integra too, I just dealt with it and just tried to unscrew the oil filter as fast as I could. Then wipe up as much of the oil I could with some shop towels before I made too big of a mess.

I think the method these guys are using are going to be your best bet.
Probably not the answer you were looking for... good luck.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil deflector

Does anyone know if this oil deflector will work on the TSX?

http://handa-accessories.com/oildeflector-accord.jpg.

According to the website it works on 2006-2007 4 cyl Accords. Has anyone tried it on a TSX?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes it does, but there is a thread on here that show my "custom" one. Simply use the method above and save some money.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried the method with the shop towls this past week.... but i'm still getting oil on the passenger side half shaft... am I doing something wrong when removing the filter? or is there supposed to be some drippage still even with this method?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Fox137
I tried the method with the shop towls this past week.... but i'm still getting oil on the passenger side half shaft... am I doing something wrong when removing the filter? or is there supposed to be some drippage still even with this method?
No matter what you do or what tool you use, the half-shaft is probably going to get oil on it. Part of me thinks its Hondas way of keeping the bearing lubed.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox137
I haven't tried the bag method or any kind of a deflector thingy. Just stuff the biggest rag you can find (the more absorbent material the better)(a flannel pillow case works great) around and below the filter and take it off. As long as the rag is big enough and you have everything covered, it will get like at least 90% of the oil. You can wipe up the rest. And aside from what others say, I think that pulling the curb side wheel and taking off the underside cover is a must. It's a pain in the ass job, but fortunately you don't have to do it too often. I found a special pliers that makes pulling the push pin connectors that are used to hold on the underside cover (and elsewhere) much easier to remove, so it's not quite as much of a hassle to take the belly pan off.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Advanced

see if your dealer has a special oil run down "tray" the Honda i work at supplies these to all the techs, maybe parts can hook you up or snap-on? it makes things less messy for the k-series
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just take the opportunity to use the oil to wipe down all the stuff under the engine while I clean it up. It doesn't hurt anything. If you get it on the exhaust it stinks for a few minutes the next time it gets hot. You just gotta keep moving and it'll be the guy behind you's problem. :P