Major AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xchimp
Almost 5 short weeks and I got the TSuX back today!!! Finally!! Drove it home and it got a "For Sale" sign on it within the first 5 minutes. The labor came to about $920 which sucks but it's better than the $3K they could've charged me. Hope all of you have much better luck than me.
Now that you got the car back, you put it up for sale? Well, I can sympathize with you as I have done the exact same thing, but in hindsight, someone probably got a dang nice truck as I had all the problems fixed on it by the time I was mad enough to sell it. If it hasn't sold, you may want to reconsider.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi All,

My 2004 TSX air conditioner just stopped blowing cold air out of nowhere. there was no warning. the A/C was fine when i got home from work. the next morning i start the car and the A/C blows hot air. so there were no warnings, there was no loud noise or mechanical noise. just nothing. so i dont think the compressor blew up or anything.

i checked the low pressure line and it is off the scale, it pinned the gauge in the red. so the compressor is not working. sure enough, when i turn the A/C on full blast, the compressor is not spinning. but when i turn the engine off, i can manually turn the compressor with my hand, so it still spins freely.

i first want to check if it is an electrical problem, maybe the fuse or relay went out and i could just replace that and the compressor will kick on. but that is wishful thinking.

can anyone tell me where the compressor fuse is located? i looked in the fuse bo under the hood but all the labels are there and none of them are labeled for the compressor. where is it?

also my car has 240K miles on it, and even worse i bought it from a dealer in philly and now live in southern cali, so every dealership does not care to be too helpful with me because they didnt get "my business" purchasing the car.

can anyone help me check the relay or fuse? thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
RogerPodacter:

Is this your original compressor?

Also, you have 240,000 miles???? Wow

I think you have the most miles of any member on this board. I think you even surpass Sauceman.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Ok well i started pulling random fuses under the hood and it truned out that the condemsor fuse was blown. I changed the fuse and my air conditioner is working perfectly! Compresspos works and all. So it was kinda a false alarm. But at least now i learned about a/c systems.

I was worried about that low pressure line being so high and now running the compressor, if it would need to be purged or bleed the line. But i think that the compressor would equalize the system, and it seems to have done just that.

Anyway yes i always get the high mileage comment from every dealer who sees the car. I do alot of driving but this car has really been a great solid reliable vehicle for me. I keep the fluids fresh and i've had no major issues whatsoever. Except for my tranny problem at 100k miles which honestly i think was related to something else completely.

Oh i DO get this whoop sound occasionally from the a/c system. Always wondered what the hell that was.

And i do get the harsh crunchy sound from the drives side window when rolling it down. It only happens in cold weather. And eventually the motor will break after a while. Is there a cause for this? If you "assist" the window as it rolls down this greatly improves this and doesn't strain the window motor. Of course this is not right, but at least its a temp solution. A new window motor replacement from the dealer runs about 400 bucks. I bet its easy to replace this yourself which is what i plan on doing next.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix.

I just started to get the whoop sound, as well.

240k miles....that crazy.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 AM
初めまして

240K miles? WOW

And congrats on catching that bad-relay, that saved you tons of money and hassle
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Thanks guys. So that "whoop" sound has only started happening in the last 4 months/10K miles or so. its very fast, only lasting about 1 second at most. and it starts out lower and goes to a higher pitch, almost like some exotic bird call or something.

so is this a common noise other people are hearing? and has it been diagnosed and/or fixed? thanks.

its been a while since i visited this good old forum, i used to spend all my time here. but i just slowed down with my forum stuff...how is this forum been? are the old timers still here like Dom?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, there's a thread already on the whoop noise, it even has a couple youtube vids.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

So this "problem" has got me thinking, is there anything i should do to my A/C system to ensure that i have no problems later down the road? i'd like to prolong it to have a good long life if possible. should i recharge the A/C system adding new freon or R134? maybe it would be good to add new oil to keep the a/c system well lubricated. any advice? can i recharge the system myself, and for relatively cheap?

also, does this whoop sound indicated the start of a problem? i read about the expansion valve being replaced fixes this. should i replace the expansion valve? will this eventually go bad? if so, does that ruin my entire A/C system?

finally, does anyone have any advice for what type of service or maintenance i should do for such a high mileage car? i change the fluids regularly, and have done a flush here and there a few years back. but i have not done anything special lately, and i would like to know what i should do to ensure the car remains problem free.

perhaps replacing the timing belt, or something like that? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Pro

RogerPodacter:

Several things:

1) I have heard that you should run your ac even when it is not warm. Better to run it than not run it for extended periods of time. Maybe it has to do with keeping things lubricated?

2) You don't have to change the timing belt because the TSX does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain that is supposedly good for the life of the car.

3) Have you ever done anything to the timing chain in the time you have had your car since new?

4) Several members have had issues with stretched timing chains. Something having to do with a bad tensioner. Do a search of the forum for timing chain and tensioner issues.

5) Those that have had timing chain stretching have also had a problem with their cars consuming and burning oil. I can’t definitely say that both the oil consumption problem and the stretched timing chain problems are related. But apparently the timing chain operates in oil or the tensioner operates in oil and low oil level and pressure may affect it.

6) Roger, how is your oil consumption? Does your car burn any oil between oil changes? If it does, always look out for this and keep the oil fully topped out to the upper second mark on the dipstick (not just the middle)

7) Change your oil frequently. Every 5000 miles. Not every 10000 miles as the owner’s manual recommends.

8) An obvious suggestion would be to maximize highway driving. Try to drive on the highway even if it means driving a longer distance to your destinatation than you would by using city streets. Stop and go driving in the city will kill any car.

9) Another obvious suggestion: Drive it like a Granma on the highway slow lane on the top gear. A steady 55 to 60mph on the highway slow lane will bring you more and more miles and smiles

10) Good luck and check in with us with more frequent postings. Don’t be a stranger to the forum. I only wish I can somehow, one day, get past 200,000 on my car. It only has a little over 50000 right now.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 10-22-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:04 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Well i'm very confused because google is giving me many different answers regarding the tsx timing belt vs chain. No i have not done anything to my timing chain. So there is nothing for me to worry about then? I've heard that traditionally if the timing belt breaks then you could bend rods and blow valves, and basically do alot of serious damage to the engine.

The only belt i can see is the main belt that runs the compressor etc. So i have nothing to worry about then?

Also most of my driving is highway, and i totally baby the car with ALL my driving. I just lightly feather the gas during acceleration, i never let the rpm's go above 3.5k when accelerating. Seriously. And on the freeway i do no hard acceleration, and just smoothly drive the car at 65 to 70mph. When deccelerating i never leave the car in gear to avoid putting unnecessary stress on the drive train or clutch.

And finally, all my shifting is very very very smooth. I ALWAYS match the rpm's and avoid slipping the clutch during every single shift. I let the rpm's drop down to the proper matching the engine speed with rpm.

And i'm quite good at this. I SERIOUSLY baby this car. I upgraded my front rotors to some after market slotted ones and they have been perfect for 50k miles, no warping whatsoever like the crap stock ones.

So that's it. I'm looking to do any preventative maintenance i can right now to remain trouble free. I was totally set on replacing the timing belt. I just changed my oil and had coolant topped off and all fluids. Maybe i should recharge my a/c to lubricate the compressor.

I miss this forum and looks like there's alot of good stuff i'm missing out on.
The following users liked this post:
HottSauce (08-15-2013)
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Pro

RogerPodacter:

What experiences have you had with the following components. Have you done any work to any of the following or they remain original?:

1) Alternator

2) Power Steering Pump or hoses. any leaks?

3) Radiator

4) Brake master cylinder

5) brake wheel cylinders (i think that is what they are called. each wheel has them and when they get old, they leak)

6) Fuel pump

7) water pump

8) Wheel bearings

9) CV Joints

10) Oxygen sensors

Again, it is amazing that you have 240,000 miles on the TSX.

But it is an amazing highway cruiser. It just eats up the miles and puts a smile on your face. I don't know if you have satellite radio but both satellite radio and navigation add greatly to long distance travel enjoyment.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
RogerPodacter:

What experiences have you had with the following components. Have you done any work to any of the following or they remain original?:

1) Alternator

2) Power Steering Pump or hoses. any leaks?

3) Radiator

4) Brake master cylinder

5) brake wheel cylinders (i think that is what they are called. each wheel has them and when they get old, they leak)

6) Fuel pump

7) water pump

8) Wheel bearings

9) CV Joints

10) Oxygen sensors

Again, it is amazing that you have 240,000 miles on the TSX.

But it is an amazing highway cruiser. It just eats up the miles and puts a smile on your face. I don't know if you have satellite radio but both satellite radio and navigation add greatly to long distance travel enjoyment.

Well for safety's sake let's just say i really haven't done much with any of those. I had the manual tranny flushed at around 100k miles. And other minor stuff, but none of those major items.

So my question is which of these can i do myself? I'd really like to try doing whatever i can myself. But i doubt i can do spark plugs and the like. Or can i?

I just went to the local dealer to inquire about differen service packages, and there were 3 main ones: 1200bucks, 1700 bucks, and 2100 bucks. They range from basic fluid checks to tune up and spark plug replacements. I really don't want to spend that kind of money, although really it would be a good idea to do it.

So can i do any of it myself? I lost my helm's technical manual unfortunately. Man i wish i had that book right now.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

[I lost my helm's technical manual unfortunately. Man i wish i had that book right now.[/quote]

Sorry that you've lost your manual. One of the best investments one can make for the TSX.
Can't take credit, can download manual from below website but you'll need to register first, click on manuals from side menu....This was on a 'forum' a month ago so don't know if
it's still valid..

http://www.hondahookup.com/
Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by Chelsea John
[I lost my helm's technical manual unfortunately. Man i wish i had that book right now.
Sorry that you've lost your manual. One of the best investments one can make for the TSX.
Can't take credit, can download manual from below website but you'll need to register first, click on manuals from side menu....This was on a 'forum' a month ago so don't know if
it's still valid..

http://www.hondahookup.com/[/quote]

thanks a bunch. i downloaded the manual. but i do have one silly question, is this the same manual as the 2004 helm's technical manual? that is the one i used to own. i'm just looking thru this downloaded manual and for some reason my memory seems off. the reason i ask is i thought each manual went by year model, but this one just lists that its for 2004 - 2008. but then the actual label in the PDF files says 2004 tsx. surely the later year tsx's had some changes which woudl require a new manual?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM
7th Gear

Question 2004 TSX AC problems

As many people have written before me...My 2004 TSX AC compressor broke.. Ok that is what my mechanic told me the second time i brought it in. the first time he thought there was a small leak and put a dye and recharged the coolant. The AC worked for a few hours and then was blowing only warm/outside air. When i brought it back he said the compressor broke. . I can't complain too much since I have 92k miles and it is past the warranty period.
I haven't brought it to the dealership since i know they will charge more, the mechanic said over $400 for the part plus labor... Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Well you could look for a good local mechanic that you trust. My air conditioner seems to be blowing cold then cool air, so I may be having issues too. Yesterday the compressor was making a rumbling feeling when it would cycle on, like I could feel the car vibrating. Probably not a good sign.

I might just take it to the dealer if I know it only needs a new compressor, and the price would be around 400 plus labor. That might not be a bad deal considering how bad It could be for a full blown system repair.

Does anyone know if it could just be fixed by flushing the system and adding new coolant gas?

BTW I found my technical manual! All those times I needed it, and now I finally have it back.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Pro

RogerPodacter:

Give us a mileage update on your car. Let me brace myself
Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation Another A/C down in August

Hello All,

Thanks much for all your posts spanning the years. I've watched this forum since I bought my manual 05 TSX in 06.

Well it finally happened to me, my a/c has failed. It failed over almost 2 years ago at 64K, but I lived in a cooler climate and rarely used it. After moving to a warmer climate the a/c fail was intermittent and sometimes would work, sometimes would blow luke warm, but cooler than outside temp. It's been a complete fail for the last four months and I'm finally gonna go shell out to get it fixed..

Is anyone aware if this is under recall?

Quite a few of you said you'd post with an update on how it went, please update. Love to hear how it went. Though I'm sure I will feel a bit bitter after I shell out the up to 2K to get it fixed.

Thanks!
SH