Maintenance Advice for a Newbie 08 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance Advice for a Newbie 08 TSX

Hello guys, I just purchased a 2008 Acura TSX, the car is in pretty decent condition and has only 54000 miles.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. I am the third owner; originally the car was a lease, it was driven to the 30000 mile mark and returned.
It was then purchased by the second buyer and driven another 20000 miles over the span of 7 years.

There are a few minor things wrong with it, for starters the car smelled terrible when the A/C was turned on, logically I figured that the cabin air filter need changing and lo and behold, bad smell no more. Unfortunately, the glovebox doesn't open and I can no longer trip the white wire and force it open. The white wire ended up disconnecting when I jammed a screw driver in there trying to get it open recently.

There wasn't much service history on this vehicle, though judging by the cabin air filter I don't think much work was performed apart from basic oil changes.

My questions are the following; considering this is a 10 year old vehicle, what are some common things that should be replaced. Below is a list of items I've considered working on, but am not sure whether or not it is warranted. Would really appreciate any and all advice you could give me.

1. Spark Plugs
2. Replace standard oil in Engine w/ Full Synthetic
3. Replace Engine Air Filter
4. Transmission Fluid ?
5. Replace Brake Pads, Inspect Rotors and Calipers and potentially bleed brake fluid.
6. Figure out a way to repair glovebox

What would you guys do if you purchased that although in great shape and low miles is 10 years old by now?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated =).
Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd replace all the fluids to start, especially the brake fluid. As for the brakes themselves, have them inspected; you probably have a lot of life left on the pads.

The spark plugs should be fine, but they're so inexpensive that I'd change them just for peace of mind.

An alignment is probably a good idea, but you should be able to tell if there are any problems based on the tire condition and/or whether the car pulls to one side or the other with your hands off the wheel.

The serpentine belt would be another thing to inspect.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:59 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
You don't have a lot of mileage wear/tear compared to potential age related problems. I would think about over the next several months:

- remove engine cover and check around fuel injectors for any leaks
- change out all fluids (power steering, anit-freeze, brake, engine, transmission)
- change out serpentine belt and Motor belt tensioner
- new spark plugs
- check alternator output, power steering pump/rack for leaks, and A/C compressor is cooling at the right temp
- check to see if condensor isn't too beat up too bad from road debris, and radiator doensn't have any leaks (Like around the radiator cap)
- check alignment, shock/struts, and other suspension components like control arms, endlinks, and CV boots
- change out batteries in FOBs
- replace battery if original OEM
- replace cabin and air filter
- make sure the safety TSB to replace power steering hose has been done (might have since it is an 08 TSX)
- replace 10 year old tires if they are original
- spray wash engine bay at local "U wash it" place to see if any oily spots show up down the road
- check spare and spare tire parts
- change out wiper blades

I have +136k on my 06 TSX and it was pretty much trouble free until 100k. I had to replace the alternator, passenger upper control arm, add rear camber kit, 2nd serpentine belt+tensioner, replace power steering pump, and 3rd battery since then. I'm still expecting my kid to drive at around 10K per year while in college for another 4-5 years with mostly routine maintenance.

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-31-2017 at 10:05 AM.