That little orange warning light (Subtitle: Larch fixed his car!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 04:10 AM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That little orange warning light (Subtitle: Larch fixed his car!)

This is just an excuse for me to tell about how I fixed my car.

Yeah, that's right, I fixed my car.

I noticed this orange warning light being on. It's on the left side of the area below the odometer, i.e. to the right of the bottom of the tachometer. It's shaped like, oh, I don't know, a cross between a fish and a handshake. Or maybe a helicopter. I imagine it's supposed to look like some part of a car, but I have no idea what.

So I call Acura service, and my guy says he doesn't know what it is either. He goes and checks, then he calls back and says it's the "check engine" light -- Bring the car in as soon as you can, it might be just a loose gas cap, but maybe not, but don't worry too much about it.

Understand, I have no idea what a "gas cap" is, but of course I figure it's one of them gizmos under the hood, and I couldn't care less what's in there. But anyway, later on I figure why not check the manual. And there it is, on page 319. It's the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp." And it means, "One of the engine's emission control systems may have a problem." But page 319 goes on to say that it might just be "a loose or missing fuel-fill cap." AHA, SO THAT'S WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT!

It says you should check the cap and tighten it until it clicks at least 3 times (which is just what you're supposed to do whenever you put the cap back on anyway). Hey, I can do that. I remembered that the last time I filled up, it was in New Jersey, where they don't allow self-service at gas stations (did y'all know that???), and I figured that probably the guy just didn't tighten the cap properly. So I go out there to check it out, and sure enough, it wasn't on quite right. So I did it.

The manual says that tightening the cap won't make the light turn off right away, it takes "at least 3 days of normal driving." But in fact it went off very soon after I started driving.

That cap is a little issue in itself. It's a little hard to put back on, isn't it? I don't think I've seen anybody post about it, but it's a definite issue, at least on my car. People have posted about that funny little wire and how sometimes it's a little difficult to hang the cap on the hook while you're filling up. I think the problem about tightening the cap is that sometimes the wire gets in the way. I almost always do self-service, and I always make sure I get the cap on right, although sometimes it takes a few tries.

So -- Watch out after gassing up to make sure the fuel-fill cap is on right. And if you see that little orange fish/handshake/helicopter light come on, there's a good chance that all you need to do is check that cap.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, didn't you post this a while back and I asked, "Did the gas guy not put on the cap right (since you're near Jersey)?" I'm glad you figured it out!!!

I have relatives in Oradell, NJ. Never understood why you have someone filling up the cars. Its just always been that way.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Way to go Larch

What other "gas cap" could there be?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:41 AM
More On

Originally posted by moda_way
Hey, didn't you post this a while back and I asked, "Did the gas guy not put on the cap right (since you're near Jersey)?"......
If you're serious, I guess that means someone else already talked about this?? (Wasn't me, though.)
Old 10-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Registered AssHat

Hey, didn't you post this a while back and I asked, "Did the gas guy not put on the cap right (since you're near Jersey)?" I'm glad you figured it out!!!

I have relatives in Oradell, NJ. Never understood why you have someone filling up the cars. Its just always been that way.
They do it here in Oregon as well.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Über Geek

Our little Larch is growin' up…
Old 10-09-2003, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Small world, my parents live in Paramus, NJ and I grew up there. It's just the law and I don't know why it's that way but I didn't mind especially during the cold winter months.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:46 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

And if you see that little orange fish/handshake/helicopter light come on, there's a good chance that all you need to do is check that cap.
helicopter.. hahahahaha

-r
Old 10-09-2003, 08:54 PM
More On

Originally posted by idx
helicopter.. hahahahaha
BTW -- Anybody know what that "fish/handshake/helicopter" icon is supposed to be?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Isn't it a (really bad) picture an engine? That's what it is on Honda's, can't imagine Acura would have decided to represent "check engine" with a helicopter or fish.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned

I thought this is a known fact?...it was written on most gas cap, at least the gas cap on my Integra does.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:52 PM
More On

Originally posted by esr5096
Isn't it a (really bad) picture an engine? That's what it is on Honda's, can't imagine Acura would have decided to represent "check engine" with a helicopter or fish.
I figured it had to be an engine, but I couldn't get it to look like an engine to me, no matter how hard I tried.

I even turned my head like this >/ and like this <\ and like this ~~ and like this but I still couldn't get it to look like an engine.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:57 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by larchmont
I figured it had to be an engine, but I couldn't get it to look like an engine to me, no matter how hard I tried.

I even turned my head like this >/ and like this <\ and like this ~~ and like this but I still couldn't get it to look like an engine.
....yeah, its one of those hidden images where you have to stare at the picture and sometimes unfocus your eyes..

Hey, with that lux brand, you gotta have some neeto features.

and like this
oh.. That must be where the helicopter came from.

:P

-r
Old 10-09-2003, 11:11 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally posted by dabuda2004
Small world, my parents live in Paramus, NJ and I grew up there. It's just the law and I don't know why it's that way but I didn't mind especially during the cold winter months.

Well, you know, those kids are always running up to the pumps and using them like super soakers.....those crazy kids.

And if we're being serious for a moment, the propeller sitting out the side...that's the fan behind the radiator...and the tapered part near the end is the start of the transmission.

I thought that icon is used in most cars? Or at least, up in Canada it is. Remember that most of our warning lights are icons and not words (ie. US: BRAKE versus CAD: ( ! )). I guess it's so the car manuf. don't have to make a French dash as well....
Old 10-09-2003, 11:19 PM
More On

Originally posted by MikeMa
.....if we're being serious for a moment, the propeller sitting out the side...that's the fan behind the radiator...and the tapered part near the end is the start of the transmission.....
Thanks Mike -- yeah, now I can look at that orange thing in a whole new light.

Seriously!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's my 30 second MS Paint representation of Larch's fish/handshake/helicopter:

Old 10-14-2003, 12:37 AM
More On

Originally posted by jester2
Thanks much, Derek...... uh, I mean Jester.
I was thinking of asking somebody to do this, but if I did, I might've had to pay for it.

I have a feeling MikeMa was right about what it's supposed to be, but can anybody really see that stuff there?
Through the miracle of instant replay, here's what he said:
Originally posted by MikeMa
.....And if we're being serious for a moment, the propeller sitting out the side...that's the fan behind the radiator...and the tapered part near the end is the start of the transmission.....
Sounds right, but I dunno..... Still can't get it to look anything like an engine, no matter how I turn my head.

>/

<\

~~

I still say it's one weird icon.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:09 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Before turning on the engine I thought of larch's recent neck problems due to looking at the fishcopter from all angles, so I gave it a good look. Yep, pretty much like an engine (close enough for a dash display I suppose), but it looked like the other 3 as well.

Hey, nice drawing jester. Now that really looks like a fish (maybe a penguin) - with a hook in it.

-r
Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 AM
More On

Originally posted by idx
Before turning on the engine I thought of larch's recent neck problems......
Hey, maybe this is gonna be like the alleged "metal plate" in Don Zimmer's head!
I ain't got no neck problems! (Must be thinking of my wife not liking the headrest.)

Or maybe you mean my brain.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Audi Driving Snob

post whores!

IBTL +1 !
Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 PM
More On

Originally posted by TinkySD
post whores!

IBTL +1 !
Oh yeah? You don't care if your car has a fish or a helicopter in it?
Old 10-15-2003, 03:19 AM
Instructor

So what're you trying to say? That we're all driving Luxury cars with fish-o-copters in them? :P

/thread slut
Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

I thought there was an odd odor the other day.. Now I know it was Larch!

btw Tinky, nice avatar.

IBTL++

-r
Old 10-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Audi Driving Snob

i'm proud that a fishhandshakehelicopter powers my car just like all those guys with "powered by honda" stickers
Old 10-15-2003, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice avatar
Old 10-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Audi Driving Snob

does this avatar kill my credibility as an admin?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by TinkySD
does this avatar kill my credibility as an admin?
No more than me post whoring this thread and not closing it

Nice avatar ... I cracked up big when I saw it
Old 10-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Instructor

I think it's one of the best ones I've seen . Maybe we should improve upon it?

/Quick someone get a picture of the real fishocopter and start a photoshop contest!
Old 10-16-2003, 12:00 AM
More On

Originally posted by jester2
I think it's one of the best ones I've seen . Maybe we should improve upon it?

Quick someone get a picture of the real fishocopter and start a photoshop contest!
I got a better contest, or actually a poll: The best photoshop, vs. your "artist's rendering."

On second thought, no use doing the pic or the photoshop, because they won't be any match for your drawing.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Advanced

Lived in Portland Oregon for 2 years. Great place but I hated having someone else fill my tank. Either they don't put enough gas in the tank or they slop it all over your car. I think it is a make work program. Gas is expensive also!!!