Light grind going into 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Light grind going into 6th gear

I always drive with my stereo on, and at a moderate volume, except when I have people in my car. I drive 95% of the time by myself, I just noticed last weekend that I have a light grind going into 6th gear no matter what I do, I was driving some people around. Anyone else experience this? I only have 35k on the car and am tempted to trade it on a new Si just so I don't have to deal with it.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
I always drive with my stereo on, and at a moderate volume, except when I have people in my car. I drive 95% of the time by myself, I just noticed last weekend that I have a light grind going into 6th gear no matter what I do, I was driving some people around. Anyone else experience this? I only have 35k on the car and am tempted to trade it on a new Si just so I don't have to deal with it.

35K???? Just drop it off at the dealer and let them deal with it, they should give you a loaner car. I have had warranty work done several times and never been questioned about anything with the car, they just fix what is wrond and im on my way. I have a MT and have never noticed a problem like this. If anything 6th is the easiest and most smooth gear to go into. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:53 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Ellakameleon
35K???? Just drop it off at the dealer and let them deal with it, they should give you a loaner car. I have had warranty work done several times and never been questioned about anything with the car, they just fix what is wrond and im on my way. I have a MT and have never noticed a problem like this. If anything 6th is the easiest and most smooth gear to go into. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

Thanks, I really hate dealing with the dealership but I mean of all gears what can you do to 6th to make it do this? I just have a feeling they are going to give me the run around, and I don't have energy for that.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Just dial 1911

You're still under warranty, whats the problem? Just take it in...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Honda made the decision to sell $30,000+ cars with full warranties. If they give you the runaround, you have nothing to hide, right?

Anyway, I can't think of what would cause 6th gear to grind a bit. I assume you don't speed shift into 6th (yikes), you just casually place it in 6th as needed, right?

If your dealer is worth a damn, they will gladly analyze the problem and take the best course of action to keep you a happy customer.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:59 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I have a header and intake on the car, I know they're going to assume its a "tuner" car when it couldn't be further from the truth. I did those mods to get a bit better fuel economy while gaining a little power, I am not into auto crossing or any of that shit. I deal with dealerships all day long and know the run around they give people, I don't have time or patience for it, I will just trade the car in if they give me any hassle. I honestly never noticed it until I was in the car with my friend, and now its driving me CRAZY.

I was just curious if anyone else experienced any problems with 6th gear in particular 1st, 2nd maybe reverse would make sense but 6th!?!? What am I red line shifting from 5th to 6th?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Pro

When I was a tech at a dealership and a modified car came in with mechanical trouble like that, I'd use the condition and maintainence history of the car as an indication.

If the car was clean and was maintained responsibly, I'd blame any premature mechanical failure (within the warranty period) as a manufacturing or engineering problem, not a driver problem. I went on the premise that cars should be engineered with the headroom to handle the miniscule boost in power that a header and intake mod provide.

On the other hand, if the car was dirty/nasty, and looked as though it gets the crap beat out of it with little or no regard to upkeep, I'd point the finger at the driver.

A lot of techs I've worked with take the same stance. I think you should give it a try--you might be surprised.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
would changing the mtf help?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Pro

If it is caused by sloppy synchronizers, a slightly more viscous fluid might eliminate the grinding. However, if it has been going on for some time, fluid may not make a difference.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I had two shifts today into 6th with no grind at all... weird. I didn't have time to call the dealership today, with any luck tomorrow, I would rather have them look at it.

Thanks for the tips junktionfet my car is in very good shape, I keep it clean inside/out and cludder free, maybe they will take care of things. I previously had a few VW's and brining them back for waranty work(which they needed way too often) was a horrible experience, I just stopped caring about problems due to the difficulty dealing with the dealership.