Intermitent Noise when clutch engages

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007 | 04:01 PM
Instructor

Intermitent Noise when clutch engages

The noise is not a clutch pedal squeek or creak, it sounds more like a squeel from the pressure plate. Been to two dealers and one thinks it is the donut washer/o-ring in the exhaust where the header meets the B pipe. They say they think it is from this flange when clutch engages and engine torques and breaks connection at this exhaust flange. I don't think so. My exhaust is stock. and I'm at 99,000 Kms (almost out of drivetrain warranty)
Anyone had this problem or know a fix ?
Old 02-18-2007 | 05:45 PM
Advanced

Mine is doing the same... It only does it when I release the clutch, going into first gear. It does not make the sound (midrange rubbing sound) every time. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they claim there is nothing wrong. I have an extended warranty, but the dealer claims it is involved with the clutch and therefore not covered by the warranty.
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ennzzo
Mine is doing the same... It only does it when I release the clutch, going into first gear. It does not make the sound (midrange rubbing sound) every time. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they claim there is nothing wrong. I have an extended warranty, but the dealer claims it is involved with the clutch and therefore not covered by the warranty.

Yes, only when releasing the clutch in first gear. Mine is doing it more frequently and I even got it to happen with the Shop Foreman in the car. That's when he said he thought it was an exhaust leak/noise. I will be getting the donut gasket replaced by them this week. Just waiting for them to call me when the part comes in. Hey, I hope they're right because I've had this problem for about 8,000 kms. From my perspective if it is the clutch related (obviously not wear of any friction material) but bearings, shafts etc. it should be covered as part of the drivetrain warranty.
Old 02-27-2007 | 08:48 AM
Instructor

I think my car is doing the same. Its been making a whirling noise, sort of a metal sounding whirl. This happens when coming out of first gear, usually backing out of a parking spot, then getting in first to take off.

I've been to 2 dealers with this problem, and they were "unable to duplicate".

Do we even know what to call this?
Old 03-03-2007 | 07:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by IneedaTSX
I think my car is doing the same. Its been making a whirling noise, sort of a metal sounding whirl. This happens when coming out of first gear, usually backing out of a parking spot, then getting in first to take off.

I've been to 2 dealers with this problem, and they were "unable to duplicate".

Do we even know what to call this?
Yes that's it. Sounds like metal on metal whirling squeel. Only when engaging fist gear and occassionally when engaging reverse. I'm certain it's clutch related. Dealer wanted to change the donut gasket on exhaust and I doubted their diagnosis but for me to have them continue looking to support me on this problem I had to go along with them. After changing the gasket the condition persists. I am waiting to hear what they want to do from here but I have had this documented at two dealers for over 10,000 kms and now I am over the 100,000 km powertrain warranty. I took the Dealers shop foreman for a drive and he heard the noise so at least the condition was duplicated.
Old 03-05-2007 | 08:17 AM
Über Geek

I'm having the same noise too. Good to know about dealer clulessness on the issue. Oh, wait that's redundant.
Old 03-05-2007 | 04:35 PM
Oh well it's

Here you go guys, check this thread out. This has been an on going issue for the TSX

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=clutch
Old 03-10-2007 | 07:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wickedk24
Here you go guys, check this thread out. This has been an on going issue for the TSX

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=clutch

Thanks but this is not the same problem, I'm having a very different clutch issue.
Old 03-14-2007 | 07:39 PM
Instructor

Just an update.....That noise I was hearing turned out to be a faulty power steering pump.

Acura replaced mine and the noise is gone.
Old 03-24-2007 | 11:33 PM
Über Geek

Update!
Not long after I posted (3/5) I started having trouble getting into 1st gear and reverse. A day or so after that, I COULDN'T get into either. So off to my non-dealer mechanic I go.

I needed a new clutch. And the squeak? "Looks like the pressure plate went bad." He added that that's what probably trashed the clutch. I'm at 82k miles and I've NEVER abused a clutch enough to burn it out in any car I've owned.

So if you have the squeak, get it looked at/lubed!
Old 03-29-2007 | 07:29 AM
1st Gear

I had the same problem for a while. Dealership said it was the release bearing. After it started getting worse I had my clutch replaced. It was indeed the release bearing that was making this noise.
Old 04-22-2007 | 10:22 PM
Advanced

Man, this doesn't sound good at all. What types of replacement clutch assemblies are you guys using? Have you gone w/ a stock replacement or aftermarket? I'm really interested since I've been hearing this noise for quite some time.