Idling/RPM issue with TSX 2005 I-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idling/RPM issue with TSX 2005 I-4

I bought an Acura TSX 2005 I-4 VTEC engine about 5 month ago.
This was a replacement to my VW Passat V6.
In general I don't have major issue just yet, but there are 2-3 things to I would like to get fixed.
When the engine warms up I start having some weird problem with idling.
When I press on gas pedal, while the car being in parking mode the RPM raises as it normally supposed to be, but then when I leave my foot of the pedal the RPM goes down to about 1.0 or slight lower then it raises up to like 1.5 and then it goes down again, slowly to about 0.7
I know this is definitely NOT normal! RPM supposed to go up and then come down and stay where the normal level is, UNLESS you press the pedal again.
I did read couple threads discussing something similar but not exactly what I am describing here. I was suspecting the TB being dirty and dusty which was I why I went ahead, took it out cleaned it and put it back with replacing the gasket but NO help at all.
PLEASE!!! If any one has any ideas, I will gladly appreciate all.

P.S. Not sure if it has anything to do with the above problem but when I slight ly try to turn the steering wheel to one or another side while the car is in "D" or "R" mode the RPM goes crazy! It jumps from like 0.6-0.7 to 1.0 and the car starts virbatiing!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
For our warmed up engine, typical idle is ~800 rpm. Our cars throttle is Drive by Wire operated. Is your foot pedal travel smooth when you let go? Nothing catches such as dirt?

Also turning the wheel will increase the RPM...normal operation. Power steering pump is driven by the engine.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there, thank you for your attention. I think the pedal is fine but I will double check and post update accordingly. RPM on my TSX is 0.6 slightly going to 0.7 in "D" mode and it's stable unless you touch steering wheel a little. I know that slight change of RPM is normal when turning the wheel on any car, cause it's taking resources from the engine, but in my case change in RPM is accompanied by a vibration of entire car which I can mostly feel on the steering wheel
I am more interested in finding cause of the RPM/idling problem when applying and then leaving the gas pedal.

P.S. I also have problem with brakes, but I will do a separate post for that

Originally Posted by PACman
For our warmed up engine, typical idle is ~800 rpm. Our cars throttle is Drive by Wire operated. Is your foot pedal travel smooth when you let go? Nothing catches such as dirt?

Also turning the wheel will increase the RPM...normal operation. Power steering pump is driven by the engine.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Rayman4449

With regards to the RPM jumping when you turn the steering wheel, I started noticing that with my 2006 TSX. What I understand is the power steering pressure sensor is supposed to send an indication to the ECU when the power steering pressure is operating outside normal ranges as can supposedly happen when you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and it hits the stops. It's supposed to bump the RPM to keep the engine from stalling. In my case I tried unplugging the sensor and did some tests and the problem completely went away. I also had no issues with the RPM dropping when the steering was at its maximum points. My guess is that maybe these pressure sensors are going bad but given that the car runs just fine without it plugged in and without any negative effects, I'm just going to leave it.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Rayman4449
With regards to the RPM jumping when you turn the steering wheel, I started noticing that with my 2006 TSX. What I understand is the power steering pressure sensor is supposed to send an indication to the ECU when the power steering pressure is operating outside normal ranges as can supposedly happen when you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and it hits the stops. It's supposed to bump the RPM to keep the engine from stalling. In my case I tried unplugging the sensor and did some tests and the problem completely went away. I also had no issues with the RPM dropping when the steering was at its maximum points. My guess is that maybe these pressure sensors are going bad but given that the car runs just fine without it plugged in and without any negative effects, I'm just going to leave it.
The last post is over a year old, and we never heard what the OP found (if anything).