I did something really stupid.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006 | 06:45 AM
Advanced

Unhappy I did something really stupid.....

.....totally by accident.....I left my sunroof open about 5" last night when I got home after being out to dinner! (I had someone in the car, so I was distracted from my normal routine)

A FREAK rain storm must have come by last night -- needless to say, stuff got WET. Thank goodness for leather -- that wiped dry right away. The seat heaters helped too.

My concern is -- some of the front headliner is damp -- mainly around the visors and the portion directly in front of the sunroof.

Has anyone else done anything stupid like this? Am I going to have a stained headliner?

I am soooooo sad. Worst thing is -- I fly to NM at 6am tomorrow morning and leave the car here for 4 days -- so it wont have any air circulation all weekend.

XJGrl
Old 10-12-2006 | 12:08 PM
Pro

It seems like we have a lot in common. First LEMON VW's and now wet TSX's. Once in my 04 TSX the key fob was pressed in my pocket and all the windows went down in a bad storm. My headliner around the windows was a little wet. What I did was got a hair dryer with an extention cord from my house and it helped. I don't know if it would have left a mark in the long run because the TSX was flooded two months later in a hurricane. In two months I didn't see anything as far as color change where it was wet.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-12-2006 | 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did the same thing. Left my sunroof open 4 days with rain. The alarm must have shorted cuz the horns blew till they fried! The good thing is, I cover the car. Still the car had about 2 inches of water in the carpet. My car is an 06and I was horrified. What I did was get get a shop vac, and sucked as much as I could. Wiped the seats, dash etc. Then put a fan in the car for 3 days with windows down. Sprayed the carpet, with cleaner and oder spray. and all was well. Had to take the car to the dealer to get the horns replaced. All is fine now, but I make SURE I close everything now.
Old 10-12-2006 | 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Sounds like you all need the One-touch Moonroof module from KPTechnologies.
Old 10-12-2006 | 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Let the engine run with high heat on while using a hair dryer or heat gun to dry the interior. The fabric will dry rather quickly.
Old 10-12-2006 | 01:31 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by JTso
Let the engine run with high heat on while using a hair dryer or heat gun to dry the interior. The fabric will dry rather quickly.
good idea... also get one those moisture eater thing(?). I dont know the exact names of the product but it should help you from molding.
Old 10-12-2006 | 01:59 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
good idea... also get one those moisture eater thing(?). I dont know the exact names of the product but it should help you from molding.
You can get them at Walmart, I use them for my boat -- it looks like a plastic one-gallon pail and will absorb any moisture in the air. Meaning that as the water in your headliner evaporates into the air in the cabin of your car (while it's sitting four days), the desicant in the moisture-eater takes the moisture out of the air and the headliner should air-dry. Good idea, and they're really cheap.
Old 10-12-2006 | 05:06 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by moda_way
Sounds like you all need the One-touch Moonroof module from KPTechnologies.
Is this out yet? I dont see anything in Sponsored Sales...
Old 10-12-2006 | 07:08 PM
Advanced

The headliner seems to be pretty dry already -- but the car smells a little musty. I feel really bad leaving it sitting here all weekend. Maybe the smell will magically go away while I am gone Ill clean her up real good when I get home -- seems like the seats stayed wet the longest -- like the water seeped in through the perforations in the seat bottom.

Damn damn damn.

p.s. sorry for posting in the wrong place. thnx for moving.
Old 10-12-2006 | 11:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by XJGrl
The headliner seems to be pretty dry already -- but the car smells a little musty. I feel really bad leaving it sitting here all weekend. Maybe the smell will magically go away while I am gone Ill clean her up real good when I get home -- seems like the seats stayed wet the longest -- like the water seeped in through the perforations in the seat bottom.

Damn damn damn.

p.s. sorry for posting in the wrong place. thnx for moving.
fabreeze for the musty smell
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:09 AM
Cruisin'

Probably an overkill for your situation, but i know that the Auto Body Shops will put a flooded car in their paint booth and bake it to evaporate the moisture. But if you know anyone that works at one, maybe they could help ya out.

P.S. My wife had a 98 VW Beetle.... so we understand your recent trauma....... Welcome to Acuras!
Old 10-14-2006 | 11:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joerockt
Is this out yet? I dont see anything in Sponsored Sales...
Any day now.....
Old 10-18-2006 | 05:21 AM
Advanced

All is swell -- I went to NM for the weekend -- got back Monday night. The first thing I did when I got home at 1am was grab my keys and run to the car to give it a sniff -- nothing like the smell of FRESH leather. No stink, no nothing. Thank goodness!!

And since you guys are so nice, Ill share my NM pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Emily.S.Davis/NewMexico2006

Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2006 | 09:25 AM
Team Owner

^^