how do u know if the rotars are warped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:55 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do u know if the rotars are warped?

i've been driving today.. i've noticed that... if i brake long enough... i start to feel vibrations.

doesn't have to be hard braking....
Old 07-12-2004, 02:03 PM
You will do as I say

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warped rotors

Warped rotors will feel like the brakes are grabbing and releasing very fast when lightly braking. If you apply more brake pressure you will feel the brake pedal pulse and maybe the car vibrate some.

Warped rotors have a few different causes such as:
1. You are traveling at say 50-60mph and make an emergeny stop and then you keep you foot on the brake pedal for a minute or two after stopping. Generally this will not warp a rotor if it is a quality piece but it can happen.

2. If you doing a lot of performance type driving with turns and such where you are braking to corner you will heat up the rotors -- ok no problem. But if you then if you sit at some stop light of stop sign for a minute or two with you foot on the brake you could warp a rotor. After any kind of performance drving with braking you will need to let the rotors cool down for a few minutes before driving in stop and go trafffic.

3. Anoth failure can be where you get the rotors really hot and then go through a mud puddle of some other source of water. The water will splash onto the rotor and could cause it to warp.

4. Lastly, it could not be rotor problem at all. You could have a bad brake caliper / or pads that are rubbing or sticking giving the same type of feel.

Note that if a rotor has warped, having it machined flat will not fix the problem. By machining the rotor you are removing more metal from it thereby reducing the rotor's ability to absorb heat. Thinner metal will heat more quickly and is more likely to warp.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:06 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I can feel some slight vibrations in my brake pedal at times, but I dont think thats warped rotors

One things for sure, the TSX brakes suck ass.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:09 PM
You will do as I say

Warped Rotors

Generally if you feel any kind of odd vibration in the brake pedal there is something going on and you should have the dealer check it out.

My TSX does not have any vibration in the brake pedal. I agree however that the TSX brakes are not the greatest. This can be from pads or calipers. Right now I think a pad upgrade would do a lot of good. It is ammazing how much better performance pads like Hawk or others can be compared to stock.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
UK Spec

Thx all
Old 07-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Be careful that you don't mistake the pulsing of the ABS for warped rotors.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Orangeblood

One more time I'll describe the weirdness I experience. Braking with power (ie clutch disengaged) never gets this. But if I brake while coasting or have brakes applied when clutch engages, bzzzz. A nice little buzz in the pedal and really more audible.

WTF
Old 07-12-2004, 03:40 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Wanna hear something really weird? When stopped at a light with the wipers on , I can feel the pulse of the wipers in the brake pedal.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Orangeblood

Really? That's whacked.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:44 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MarkPinTx
Really? That's whacked.

Yup. my car is "special" . I even have a green keyring
Old 07-12-2004, 06:04 PM
UK Spec

Originally Posted by fdl
Wanna hear something really weird? When stopped at a light with the wipers on , I can feel the pulse of the wipers in the brake pedal.

u know something

i only found like like a month ago that when our car is @ a stop... the wipers slows to
the slowest..

b4 that.. i always thought i turned down the wipers my self and once car started moving
it would be super fast cause i truned it to high hahahha :shit:
Old 07-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by NeoChaser
u know something

i only found like like a month ago that when our car is @ a stop... the wipers slows to
the slowest..

b4 that.. i always thought i turned down the wipers my self and once car started moving
it would be super fast cause i truned it to high hahahha :shit:
Those are the speed sensative wipers - works when Intermitent is on high.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Resurfacing the rotors is fine, but don't make a habit of it.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:42 PM
UK Spec

Originally Posted by miner
Those are the speed sensative wipers - works when Intermitent is on high.

it works on any level of intermitent i think.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
it works on any level of intermitent i think.
Yup
Old 07-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
About the rotors, here is a little de-mistification, taken from another forum I'm a member of:
The Warped Brake Disc and other Myths of the Braking System
Old 07-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro

has anyone swapped the oem rotors with drilled rotors? i think i am gona do it soon cuz the drilled/slotted ones look way better.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fdl
i feel the same thing. it is quite odd
Old 07-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Instructor

I'm no gear-head, and I'm sure the one's here that are will realize this fact by me posting this, but couldn't the pulse of the wipers be felt in the brake pedal because the wiper motor draws significant current from the car, thereby stealing some from the power-assisted brakes, making the mechanical/hydraulic system compensate, until current is restored?
Old 12-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Warped rotors will feel like the brakes are grabbing and releasing very fast when lightly braking. If you apply more brake pressure you will feel the brake pedal pulse and maybe the car vibrate some.

Warped rotors have a few different causes such as:
1. You are traveling at say 50-60mph and make an emergeny stop and then you keep you foot on the brake pedal for a minute or two after stopping. Generally this will not warp a rotor if it is a quality piece but it can happen.

2. If you doing a lot of performance type driving with turns and such where you are braking to corner you will heat up the rotors -- ok no problem. But if you then if you sit at some stop light of stop sign for a minute or two with you foot on the brake you could warp a rotor. After any kind of performance drving with braking you will need to let the rotors cool down for a few minutes before driving in stop and go trafffic.

3. Anoth failure can be where you get the rotors really hot and then go through a mud puddle of some other source of water. The water will splash onto the rotor and could cause it to warp.

4. Lastly, it could not be rotor problem at all. You could have a bad brake caliper / or pads that are rubbing or sticking giving the same type of feel.

Note that if a rotor has warped, having it machined flat will not fix the problem. By machining the rotor you are removing more metal from it thereby reducing the rotor's ability to absorb heat. Thinner metal will heat more quickly and is more likely to warp.

Yep, machining a rotor definately will make sure the rotor warps again. Not only will it thin the rotor out and cause warping again really soon. But not only because of that, also because when a rotor warps it will create hot spots, when you machine them down, the hotspots resurface again and you're back to square one. If a rotor warps, THROW IT OUT!

Another thing a lot of people overlook is the dealer tightening the lugs with airtools. That's a big no no. What happens when you do that is that you overtorque the lugs and you put extra stress on the rotors. Either have them handtorque them with a torque wrench of when you get home, rretorque them yourself. I previously had tons of warped rotors and i dont drive aggressively nor do i often run into stop and go traffic. Since i upgraded to powerslot and performance friction carbon metallic pads. Not only has my braking significantly improved, but i haven't had a rotor warp since i upgraded and since i hand tighten the lugs.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Instructor

i've been driving today.. i've noticed that... if i brake long enough... i start to feel vibrations.

doesn't have to be hard braking....
Ive been having vibration while braking and acceleration,I can feel it through the pedals and steering wheel.most noticable while cruzing around 2000 rpm,underlight braking,and at idle.Its starting to get anoying I only have 8000k on my car.Last time it was at the dealer i askied them to look at it,they said it was fine. Since then its gotten worse.