Horn no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,750 Likes on 2,534 Posts
Horn no longer working

Was going to post this in the TSX section but it is pretty dead there and figured I would see if I could get any knowledgeable help in here.

So I installed an aftermarket steering wheel the other week. For the first week the horn worked. This weekend my second quick release came in. When installing the hub the first time it tells you to disconnect the battery but this is mainly because you will be disconnecting the airbag and do not want it to go off in your face.

So when I installed it since it I didn't bother disconnecting the battery (yeah stupid and I know better) and when I was removing the first quick release the horn sounded while unbolting it cause I was messing with the ground circuit connection obviously. I then put everything back together and never bothered testing the horn since I figured it would work just like it did with the other quick release.

Well fast-forward to Sunday night I was out driving an hit a decent size dip in the road that I did not see while going 40mph and didn't do any physical damage to the exterior of the car but I smacked the sub frame on the ground pretty damn good that is for sure.

So last night I was trying out another steering wheel and pressed the horn and nothing happened. So I took everything apart and checked all the connections to make sure everything was together making a solid connection which is was.

I then checked for fuses and only found one fuse for the horn which is in the engine bay fuse box and it was fine. I have not figured out if there is a horn relay at all somewhere within the wiring in the car to know if I need to check that.

I have come up with only three possibilities of what could be wrong in my opinion but I am looking for advice on what others think as I am running out of ideas.

1. I fried the horn when hooking up the quick release with the battery still connected

2. I fried the wiring for the horn (clock spring assembly) or somewhere else along the wiring [hoping this is not the case as it would be very expensive repair]

3. I knocked the horn connector lose when I smacked the sub frame. I have not had time to remove the bumper yet to check this bump plan on doing so tonight.

So please bring on any suggestions anyone has.