Hello, this is my first post... kinda need some opinions :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004 | 02:59 PM
UK Spec

Hello, this is my first post... kinda need some opinions :)

Hi everyone, new here! First post here on Acura-TSX.COM

First of all, wow! I had found this site really informative. Great
for a potential buyer like me to come on and read about the
reviews and such. When TSX came out last year, I was totally
in love with it and wanted to get it. However, that was put aside
and I had stopped reading the tsx forums. Now today and i've been
confirmed that I'll be buying a TSX as early as next month. Which
is totally exciting. HOWEVER, I came on here and I saw the
thread about the problems TSX owners are having, frankly this
scares me. At the moment, TSX is my no1 choice over WRX,
because of Honda's "built quality" and luxury. But the threads
I've read kinda questions my choice. I think i might have started a topic that
has been debated over and over again, but i would really appreciate
any comment from you guys about my situation. Thank You.
Old 01-10-2004 | 09:07 PM
Drifting

NeoChaser, I am one of the people who had some problems with my TSX - I had some wiring issue with my NAVI and some noise issues with my car too. They have recently been fixed by the dealer. Now, I guess to help you to put things in perspective, you should realize that people like us are bound to vent about our problems, whether they be big or small, in a forum like this. Also, bear in mind that most of the problems we have mentioned here have been relatively minor. If I absolutely wanted a car that has the very highest reliability rating, I would have gone with a Toyota, but I didn't even go into their dealership once, because I knew that I would never drive a car that is so bland that it's offensive!!! I knew I wanted a premium brand and the only other one with a higher reliability rating would be Lexus (and please, no ES330!!!). BMW, Audi, Saab, Volvo and MB all failed to satisfy my criteria for reliability and value-for-money. So my choice was obvious in the end...

If you want an entry luxury car with sporty performance, go with the TSX. If you want a muscle car with 4 doors then go with the WRX. I hope this helps...
Old 01-10-2004 | 09:45 PM
UK Spec

Thanks ostrich...

i guess i was overwhelmed by the number or "rattle" threads
here...

i pretty much made my mind of getting the TSX...
hopefully i can be a owner soon w/ in a month.
Old 01-10-2004 | 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NeoChaser
Thanks ostrich...

here...

FWIW mines perfect. no problems at all whatsoever.
Old 01-10-2004 | 10:44 PM
Über Geek

Mine's perfect too. And the WRX was on my short list as well.

Like Ostrich said, it's sophistication vs. speed.
Old 01-11-2004 | 12:38 AM
Racer

no rattle in my TSX.
Old 01-12-2004 | 09:17 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Thanks ostrich...

here...

Yes the rattle threads can be a bit alarming, but that's life when you're researching something. I've heard various rattles, but they're very minor and infrequent. (some door rattling from the bass. I've adjusted it to -2 and its better. Other rattles come from the seatbelt adjustment release. Actually its more like a buzz, but I don't hear it much.)

-r
Old 01-12-2004 | 02:50 PM
6th Gear

hello neo i had taken posession of my tsx in late nov now w/ 2400 miles on it i can say that i have not had one rattle or anything wrong w/ it. knock on wood b/c i dont wish to have any problems. when i bought my 01 celica new i was always in the shop w/ warranty problems from the brakes to the gas gauge. but i can say i am truley pleased w/ my decision on purchasing the tsx.
Old 01-18-2004 | 12:27 AM
Intermediate

Neo Chaser....I'm with you on this one. I'm thinking about selling my 02 RSX Type S for something a bit more roomy and more luxurious as well. But when reading all of these complaints about the TSX I kinda have second thoughts. Can all of these troubles really be coming from a car built by Honda? Thats so Un-Honda like. Guys please reassure me...I'm ready to make the move.
Old 01-18-2004 | 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

i think the common denominator here is that the TSX is a very quiet car, as a result some people hear noises more easily. this is typical in many up scale cars. i know a few of these rattles are loud but the vast majority are so slight that if you turn the radio on and quit driving around holding your breath and trying to listen for things to complain about the car is pretty quiet.
i noticed a buzz in the passenger speaker about a few months ago but it only happens on certain bass tones and it really doesnt bother me.
i should also add that a lot of times people put things in the map pockets in the doors. the stock speakers actually vibrate the doors enough that anything loose in the door pockets will rattle.
Old 01-18-2004 | 01:01 PM
UK Spec

Originally posted by Johnny
Neo Chaser....I'm with you on this one. I'm thinking about selling my 02 RSX Type S for something a bit more roomy and more luxurious as well. But when reading all of these complaints about the TSX I kinda have second thoughts. Can all of these troubles really be coming from a car built by Honda? Thats so Un-Honda like. Guys please reassure me...I'm ready to make the move.

since i made that post... i've read a lot of threads here on AT.com

and i have made up my mind... going to dealer this week to place
the deposit...
Old 01-18-2004 | 01:16 PM
Bound for Europe

I too was once WRX-bound, even claiming I was %95 sure on a WRX forum.

Thankfully, I found the TSX at the buzzer, and have yet to regret my purchase. Sure, I've had rattles. They only became a slight annoyance when winter came upon us and my windows down, music cranked driving style was shelved. The transmission has been flawless and so satisfying since I've mastered the clutch. The grip is always rewarding and satisfying. I think I get an automotive high everyday I drive this car. I've yet to drive by a WRX, A4, IS300, 325i, or CTS and think "I should have got that one"

enjoy
Old 01-18-2004 | 01:18 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

link to consumer reports most reliable cars

the rattles do occur w/ some people, I noticed it the other day w/ my bass at +5 and only on very specific frequencies. Lowering it to +4 made them go away. And considering reliability, rattling noise is pretty insignifigant compared to all the moving parts on a car.
Old 01-18-2004 | 02:09 PM
The Voice of Reason

No problems with mine.

I was riding a hotel elevator in Boston and evesdropping on a couple of other riders extolling the virtues of their Subarus, they each claimed to have had only one problem each but their problems were major engine problems, one had a broken timing belt and head crash, the other one a major oil leak, both cars sounded like they had accumulated less than 100,000 miles. Nevertheless, they professed to love their Subarus because of their reliability (!). There are lots of anecdotal reports of Subaru head gasket failures over on the Subaru board, strangely enough, none of this makes an appearance on the Consumer Reports charts.

I also checked the DOT complaints file on the TSC, there are 4 safety complaints listed for the TSX, 2 of which involve a Honda Odyssey gas tank

By way of comparison my "old" car was a 1998 Volvo, I counted 465 (!) complaints filed with DOT for the 1998 Volvo S, V, and C70.

HERE
Old 01-18-2004 | 07:22 PM
3rd Gear

The biggest factor for me in buying my TSX in October was the benefits to cost ratio, simply stated, this car has so much value compared to the other cars in its class like the 325i, A4, or IS300. Many of the options that come standard in the TSX, are high priced options in the other cars. There's not too many cars that can give Xenon lights, leather trim, heated seats, and a sunroff as standard options. The car does not give you many reasons to say "no". I def agree with previous posts mentioning that the rattles are noticeable because of the minimal noise produced by the car. I apologize for sounding like a car salesman, but I am just giving you my opinion. Plus, if you need proof, look at all of the articles in the car mags featuring the new 2004 models.
Old 01-20-2004 | 10:46 AM
Advanced

I have 6.5 K miles now and have had NO problems, other than 2 weeks ago I ran over a big screw that punctured my R rear tire and damaged the sidewall. Believe it or not, the cheapest price I could find on a replacement tire (same one), with mounting, was from the Acura dealer, to the tune of $223.00 - yikes!!! I find the car to be very quiet, responsive, agile, well put-together, roomy, attractive and pretty attention getting. Overall, very satisfied.
Old 01-20-2004 | 06:04 PM
UK Spec

223 for OEM tires????

no offence but that's a rip off....
Old 01-20-2004 | 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

223 for OEM tires????

no offence but that's a rip off....
actually if you look online that is the going price for the OEM tires.
Old 01-20-2004 | 07:01 PM
UK Spec

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic

REALLY?

wow....

17" T1S only cost 180.....
Old 01-20-2004 | 07:33 PM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
Not to thread hijack, but I have to agree and I must say WTF for the OEM tire price?

I can think of several tires for less than $200 and the OEM stink for grip. I cannot wait until I wear them out.

Back on topic, my car was purchses in late November and have 3500+ miles. I have no complaints to report and no rattles, yet.