Headlight: I Screwed Mine Up Trying To Change the Bulb...need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Headlight: I Screwed Mine Up Trying To Change the Bulb...need a little help

Yes, I should be inducted in the idiot hall of fame

06 TSX w/Nav
I was trying to change my passenger side HID headlight bulb, and what I thought was the bulb, was actually directly below the bulb fixture. I then proceeded to twist it out of it's socket.

Anyone know what this is and what I should do to fix this mess? It was held in by two Philips screws, and your typical wiring harness plugged into the back of this. I don't even know if the metal prongs have been broken off, or twisted or what.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks like the inverter connector, note not on the harness side
Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Bingo, after you pointed me in the direction of the name of it, I found one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-20...item3efbec33e9

Anyone have any experience with this black connector? Does it just easily plug in and out? I'm wondering why in the first place I had such a heck of a time pulling it out (ending up breaking it). I unscrewed both screws.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
u might need a new inverter. but try reinstalling it and check to see if it still works.

but just wondering why are you replacing your bulb? do you know its bad or just trouble shooting?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Originally Posted by eg5
u might need a new inverter. but try reinstalling it and check to see if it still works.

but just wondering why are you replacing your bulb? do you know its bad or just trouble shooting?
Unfortunately I twisted the prongs when removing it, so the prongs are not aligned when putting it in. Since it's buried semi deem under the hood, I may have to pull out the entire thing in order to align it properly. Any idea if you can get just the connector? I'd hate to have to buy the entire thing.

As for the bulb, it turned pink and then went out. I figured (and hoped) it was the bulb so was tinkering to replace it.

Last edited by studville; 12-19-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by studville
As for the bulb, it turned pink and then went out. I figured (and hoped) it was the bulb so was tinkering to replace it.
Light color turning pink is a typical sign the bulb is on its way out.

The sourced parts you found online to replace the control unit assay AND ignitor is cheaper then what I got quoted at my local Acura dealer for only one of them. If it were me, I'd feel uncomfortable just replacing the broken part (that black connector) with a new one, and placing that in your existing control unit assay. Reason being since it was twisted off, that could of damaged the inside of that unit. Since there's a whole lot of wattage going through that unit, you don't want an electrical issue causing damage or even a fire in that area.

I just recently replaced both headlight assemblies, and transferred the control unit assays and ignitors to the new headlights. My opinion is if you want it done properly, you'll want to take the time to remove the front bumper and headlight assembly that's been effected so you know all the connections are placed and fitted properly.

If you need help, just ask. This DIY is still fresh in my head.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

It also makes sense that it's the bulb because I run my bulbs day and night since they turn off automatically. It looks like at minimum, I'm in for a new control unit off of ebay $80 (I won't be able to buy the plug itself). Initially, I tried pulling the bumper off when replacing the bulb, however, gave up after I couldn't get the housing of the headlamp to budge (I must have missed a bolt). I may still have some questions after I sift through a few DIYs here on the forum. (probably after Christmas)

Of course, if it happens to be that it was the inverter/igniter all along, then you can call me the winner of the poop lottery.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Drifting

In the future, to change out the HID bulb, it won't require the removal of the bumper. In your present situation since you'll need to get at the control unit assay, it's best to get the bumper off to have full access to the headlight assembly.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Let's just say my bulb changing performance qualifies for the homer moment of the year. As for the purchase, after A LOT of examination, because there's a lot of controversy on ebay for what fits the 06 model, here's what I went with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-AC...item2a0ca6afff

I'd say best case scenario I just need to replace the the connector (as long as there's nothing broken off). Worse case, I replace the entire thing. The only reason I'm hesitant at replacing the entire thing is there seemed to be a lot of knock offs on ebay, so I'm not really sure if this thing is real or a knock off. I wish there was a used one, because I'd buy that one over the "brand new" one. I'd hate to have two headlights that don't match (don't know how much of the control unit plays into this).
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Ok, So I got the new part in the mail. I tried to unscrew the old connector and pull it off of the inverter -- it doesn't come off. I gave it a bit of a tug and peeked in there and it's in there pretty good. I didn't want to risk ruining another one, so I left it as is. (It just doesn't make any sense as to why they'd screw it on there, but it's not removable). Any thoughts??

Anyhow, in the next few days, I'll be pulling the bumper off and replacing the entire inverter.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by studville
Ok, So I got the new part in the mail. I tried to unscrew the old connector and pull it off of the inverter -- it doesn't come off. I gave it a bit of a tug and peeked in there and it's in there pretty good. I didn't want to risk ruining another one, so I left it as is. (It just doesn't make any sense as to why they'd screw it on there, but it's not removable). Any thoughts??

Anyhow, in the next few days, I'll be pulling the bumper off and replacing the entire inverter.
When you say inverter, are you referring to the control unit assay? If so, the control unit assay is held onto the headlight assembly by 3 screws. To properly take unit off, get the front bumper off.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Originally Posted by PACman
When you say inverter, are you referring to the control unit assay? If so, the control unit assay is held onto the headlight assembly by 3 screws. To properly take unit off, get the front bumper off.

Sorry. I was referring to the connector to the control unit assay (The black thing I pictured in my first post). Apparently this thing is not supposed to come off -- the two screws that hold it in are misleading. The only way I got mine off in the picture is by snapping it off.