Fustration about brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
-~-Girlie-~-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fustration about brakes

I did a search about brakes and i see how many people are having problems with them and i wanted to know how many times everyone has replaced their brake pads and cut/smoothed out there rotors? I'm now working on on my 3rd pair of brakes since may of 03' and they are going again on me. I'm tired of spending 500+ dollars to fix this every 1.5 yrs....

if i can see how many other people are having these problems i can try and fight it out with them at acura. they swear to me that i'm braking tooo hard. shit i know i drive fast but this is ridiculous!!

thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about the "Warped" rotor issue? Whats happening is your leaving brake deposits on the rotor by keeping your foot hard on the brake after you stop. Instead, when you have to brake hard, just before your about to stop, come off of the brake so that your not standing on it when you come to a complete stop.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSX Girlie
I did a search about brakes and i see how many people are having problems with them and i wanted to know how many times everyone has replaced their brake pads and cut/smoothed out there rotors? I'm now working on on my 3rd pair of brakes since may of 03' and they are going again on me. I'm tired of spending 500+ dollars to fix this every 1.5 yrs....

if i can see how many other people are having these problems i can try and fight it out with them at acura. they swear to me that i'm braking tooo hard. shit i know i drive fast but this is ridiculous!!

thanks

RacingBrake Rotors and Hawk pads. Follow those who've gone before you. You'll wonder why you haven't upgraded them before.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
-~-Girlie-~-

i would upgrade them but it's a lease!

And i don't really know the problem, if the rotors are warped or not. i get the shaking in the steering wheel when i'm braking and then i take the car to acura and they say to me your pads have to be replaced and the rotors cut/smoothed out.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had issues too, but replaced them with aftermarkets instead of refinishing them. I knew it would happen again so I thought I'd save myself the frustration.

I've driven 3 other cars (2 Chrysler, 1 Pontiac) in my lifetime and I've never had one brake problem like the TSX. I don't think it's purely the way you brake, especially because so many people have had the problem.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the OEM rotors suck. How long is your lease? I would at least consider some Brembo blanks instead of the OEM rotors. There not as pricey as the RacingBrakes and I've heard good things on the forum so far about them.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:17 PM
-~-Girlie-~-

my least is up in may so i still have about 10 months left on it so i'm trying not to replace them but i don't think they are going to last that long.

what pisses me off is that acura fixed them the first time and when i went back the second time they were like we aren't going to do it again and when i asked why they did it for free the first time she said to me it was in good faith.

i'm not sure what aggravates me more, the clicking of the clutch or the constant brake replacement....
Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you're THAT pissed off, just buy a aftermarket set. for $500 you would of had that done long ago and not deal with the trouble.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Instructor

You don't need new rotors.. just new pads

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=4

One item that has escaped Acura's attention is the TSX's brakes. We're going to be brutally honest: the stock brake pads are pretty bad. The feel is okay, but they provide somewhat weak stopping power and are prone to overheating easily (particularly when slowing from freeway speeds). When they overheat, they tend to leave deposits on the rotors, which can lead to a very noticeable and irritating brake shudder. Many people misdiagnose this problem as rotor warpage, but as we proved on our own car, it's really the stock pads chubbing the rotors. It only took a few thousand miles for this problem to appear on our TSX project car, and these were very gentle miles. While the symptoms felt almost exactly like rotor warpage, we decided to swap out the stock pads for some more aggressive aftermarket pads, and the results were simply astounding. Without any rotor resurfacing, the brake shudder and wobble disappeared almost immediately, and within a few days of normal driving, all of the OEM pad deposits were wiped clean from the rotors. To this day, there has been absolutely no brake shudder and brake fade is a thing of the past. Even more impressively, the car has benefitted from a tremendous improvement in braking power. The only downside to this pad upgrade is that the new pads will squeak in very rare circumstances and they generate appreciably more brake dust than the stock pads. Otherwise they are one of the biggest "bang for the buck" modifications out there for the TSX and we highly recommend it. We installed Axxis Ultimates on our TSX, but similar results are likely with any number of other aftermarket fitments.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Apex Clipper

You're not washing the car with hot rotors are you?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Canyonball
You're not washing the car with hot rotors are you?
Dosent matter, rotors do not "warp"
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by joerockt
Dosent matter, rotors do not "warp"
I beg to differ. I worked at Acura for a few years and have seen many warped rotors. I've also been around many racebikes which have had warped rotors as well. Personally I've never had them though.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Canyonball
I beg to differ. I worked at Acura for a few years and have seen many warped rotors. I've also been around many racebikes which have had warped rotors as well. Personally I've never had them though.
Then I guess Stoptech is full of shit?

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Pro

I am suffering from super duper severe brake shudder/shaking steering wheel when stopping at freeway speeds. It is very annoying. I only have 17k miles on my car. I would like to give the "Axxis Ultimates" a try. Do i only need to get the front pads? Where is a good place to get them? thanks.

Originally Posted by Vegito

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=4

One item that has escaped Acura's attention is the TSX's brakes. We're going to be brutally honest: the stock brake pads are pretty bad. The feel is okay, but they provide somewhat weak stopping power and are prone to overheating easily (particularly when slowing from freeway speeds). When they overheat, they tend to leave deposits on the rotors, which can lead to a very noticeable and irritating brake shudder. Many people misdiagnose this problem as rotor warpage, but as we proved on our own car, it's really the stock pads chubbing the rotors. It only took a few thousand miles for this problem to appear on our TSX project car, and these were very gentle miles. While the symptoms felt almost exactly like rotor warpage, we decided to swap out the stock pads for some more aggressive aftermarket pads, and the results were simply astounding. Without any rotor resurfacing, the brake shudder and wobble disappeared almost immediately, and within a few days of normal driving, all of the OEM pad deposits were wiped clean from the rotors. To this day, there has been absolutely no brake shudder and brake fade is a thing of the past. Even more impressively, the car has benefitted from a tremendous improvement in braking power. The only downside to this pad upgrade is that the new pads will squeak in very rare circumstances and they generate appreciably more brake dust than the stock pads. Otherwise they are one of the biggest "bang for the buck" modifications out there for the TSX and we highly recommend it. We installed Axxis Ultimates on our TSX, but similar results are likely with any number of other aftermarket fitments.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 PM
TSX User

I've had mine "resurfaced" twice already (currently @35k miles) and they have begun to wobble once again.

I would be farking pissed as hell.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Apex Clipper

Then I guess Stoptech is full of shit?

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

That was quite interesting. Being I haven't been into cages lately, that was new since the last time I went over their site. Thanks for the link.

Surely they're not full of shit. lol, but if you due notice, that whole article is about "warped" rotors due to high temperatures. He never mentioned any other variables such as water applied to said surfaces which can cause uneven temperature changes in the metal which in turn cause the metal to contract in different parts and at different rates. This can cause warpage. The aforementioned article only pertains to racing and/or high performance driving which causes high temperature build-up and NOT other variables.

It was a good read though. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:03 AM
-~-Girlie-~-

no i don't wash my car when the brakes are still hot. i like to wait till the whole car cools a bit before i do that.

i don't even think the rotors are warped i think these pad aren't Efficient enough and yet they keep replacing bad brakes with some more bad brakes.

Also now when i drive past 50 my steeling wheel starts to shake, i don't think they are related in anyway but what could cause this? Bad alignment?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
no i don't wash my car when the brakes are still hot. i like to wait till the whole car cools a bit before i do that.

i don't even think the rotors are warped i think these pad aren't Efficient enough and yet they keep replacing bad brakes with some more bad brakes.

Also now when i drive past 50 my steeling wheel starts to shake, i don't think they are related in anyway but what could cause this? Bad alignment?
Bad alignment wouldn't result in shudder. More likely a wheel is out of balance. I would have then look at having the wheels rebalanced.

Also, something you can try to reduce the problems you are experiencing is to regularly use the brakes hard enough to sweep the rotors of deposits. Just make sure that you have sufficient time and distance to allow your rotors to cool off after having been swept. I don't baby my brakes in the least and never had the shuddering problems that others have experienced.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you talking about the "Warped" rotor issue? Whats happening is your leaving brake deposits on the rotor by keeping your foot hard on the brake after you stop. Instead, when you have to brake hard, just before your about to stop, come off of the brake so that your not standing on it when you come to a complete stop.
Originally Posted by Vegito

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-a...3&page_number=4

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Bad alignment wouldn't result in shudder. More likely a wheel is out of balance. I would have then look at having the wheels rebalanced.

Also, something you can try to reduce the problems you are experiencing is to regularly use the brakes hard enough to sweep the rotors of deposits. Just make sure that you have sufficient time and distance to allow your rotors to cool off after having been swept. I don't baby my brakes in the least and never had the shuddering problems that others have experienced.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Racer

Instead of just replacing "bad brakes with bad brakes" do you think that the dealer would go for putting after market rotors and pads on, with them paying for the cost of oem parts( rotors & pads) and labor and us paying the rest (difference in price). Ive had my brakes resurfaced / replaced and that was 2 thousand miles ago (under warranty)....., and they seem to be doing the same damn thing again. I dont feel like doing this over and over again......, especially after warranty is up......., Seems like ACURA SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS SINCE THE PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY ACURA......, with many people having this very same problem. what do you guys think???????
Old 08-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^

The problem is, you really have to go to aftermarket rotors if you don't want the problem again. I doubt Acura is going to pay for those. What you can try to do is buy your own aftermarkets and try to get them to install it for free. You can try to get the dealership to pay for the aftermarket ones, but I think you would have a tough time.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:13 PM
-~-Girlie-~-

unforunately i don't know shit about brakes, if i want to buy after market brake pads do i have to change the rotors??

also how do i know which pad will fit my car?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Just dial 1911

unforunately i don't know shit about brakes, if i want to buy after market brake pads do i have to change the rotors??

also how do i know which pad will fit my car?
No, you dont have to change your rotors.

Most sites, like this one , you just need to select the pads you want, they ask you what make, model, year car you have and they tell you what pads to get. Easy.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Axxiss Ultimates

I'm currently on my second set of Axxis Ultimates for my 04 TSX. I experienced warping and brake shudder the first 20K miles on the stock pads. I replaced them with the Axxiss pads and had my rotors resurfaced. I've never looked back since. Great stopping power, and no more warping issues. A set of four pads can be had from Ebay anywhere from $80-90. Installing them depends on whether you go to a dealer or not. You can opt to have the rotors resurfaced but again, that depends on your personal choice. These pads do generate more brake dust and WILL squeak in the rarest instances. However, the benefits of stopping power and non-existant brake shudder will win you over in no time.

Two things I never liked about the TSX: tires and brake pads. Replace them both and save yourself a ton of grief. Otherwise, the car is a joy to drive.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Racer

So is it the pads or the rotors that acura puts on the tsx that are causing this problem????? I will be changing both....., but I am still interested in knowing what is actually the problem....... that so many people are having. (if it could be fixed with just replacing the pads or just the rotors..., some might only be able to afford just one of the upgrades) Just wondering......, so that I know what to tell the acura service men..., when trying to strike a deal.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

I've never had problems with the rotors apart from getting them resurfaced once. When I changed brake pads, I never felt any shudder from them again. I think a pad upgrade should be ok, but again it's all on one's personal choice.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Race Director

I just keep getting steering wheel vibration and Acura dealer by me resurfaced the rotors, but didn't replace them. I'm at almost 33K now. Why don't they want to replace my brakes and rotors under warranty? They said for me I have to pay to get them replaced. Total BS there.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

I can't distinctly say I've ever had steering wheel vibration. What I experienced was the shudder from the crappy brakes and some rotor warpage. If your rotors have been resurfaced, I say replace your pads but not with another set of OEM pads. Those OEM pads can barely stop a soapbox car in my opinion.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
-~-Girlie-~-

one other thing. how difficult would you say it is to install these on my own?? does someone have instructions or helpful advice? damn i wish i only paid more attention to dad when he use to change brakes....
Old 08-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

I'm sure somebody has posted a step-by-step tutorial on changing brake pads here somewhere, it even has pictures if I remember. Anyway, if you have the tools, the time, and the know-how, it shouldn't be too difficult. I for one do not have even one of the three things I mentioned so I had the dealer install them (they still insisted on using "Acura certified OEM pads" ). If you do install it yourself, just remember to bed the pads in properly afterwards.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Racer

im still gonna get acura to pay for this cus to be honest Im not happy that I bought almost a 30 thousand dollar car and the brakes on it work worse than a cheap people-hauler. its not right that I should have to replace half of the braking system with after market parts in order to get funtioning brakes. they should atleast install everything for free and maybe pay a little for the neccassary upgrade parts. They skimped on the one thing that everyone would not notice when buying a brand new car. this is pissing me off everytime I drive my car...... what about everybody else with this problem......, i cant be the only one that feels like this????????
Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jdepasqu2
im still gonna get acura to pay for this cus to be honest Im not happy that I bought almost a 30 thousand dollar car and the brakes on it work worse than a cheap people-hauler. its not right that I should have to replace half of the braking system with after market parts in order to get funtioning brakes. they should atleast install everything for free and maybe pay a little for the neccassary upgrade parts. They skimped on the one thing that everyone would not notice when buying a brand new car. this is pissing me off everytime I drive my car...... what about everybody else with this problem......, i cant be the only one that feels like this????????
Brakes are a wear item. Good luck getting anyone to replace them under warranty.

And honestly, the majority of problems related to brake shudder are not equipment related or mechanical failure, but rather the driving habits of the owner. Too many people have a tendency to ride their brakes too often or are too gently with the brakes. Being too gentle too often results in just excess friction, excess heat build-up on the rotor which all leads to pad material transfer and deposits. Be firm and assertive anytime you use the brakes and I'm pretty sure you'll see the problems begin to disappear.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:28 PM
-~-Girlie-~-

i absolutely feel this way. To spend so much money on a car that has so many problems drives me crazy. Between the brakes, clickiing of the clutch, windows that squeal when your opening them, a navi system that needs to be re-booted (turn the car off and back on) every so often. I love my acura but they really need to figure out the problems and fix them!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Racer

Brakes are a wear item. Good luck getting anyone to replace them under warranty.

And honestly, the majority of problems related to brake shudder are not equipment related or mechanical failure, but rather the driving habits of the owner. Too many people have a tendency to ride their brakes too often or are too gently with the brakes. Being too gentle too often results in just excess friction, excess heat build-up on the rotor which all leads to pad material transfer and deposits. Be firm and assertive anytime you use the brakes and I'm pretty sure you'll see the problems begin to disappear.

Dont want to argue or anything because I seriously respect and appreciate our un-biased moderators..., keeps everybody foccussed... i Like that.............................................. .................................................. ...................................., but 1'st and for-most... ive never had a car do this and I've had a few cars...., many of which were old american piles....., 2nd... i've already heard MANY people who have recieved brand new rotors and pads on this forum as a result of this problem. Many of which had very few miles on their car, with this problem happening more than once and sometimes twice........... 3rd.. Obviously acura views this as THEIR problem because why would they be so apt to fix / replace brake parts that are suspect, and vibrating....., NOT TO MENTION NOT SUPPOST TO BE UNDER WARRANTY......., I think this says the most......, the fact that they are replacing a WEAR item..with only a few mile on the vehicle..., obviously they have many instances of TSX owners coming in and complaining with 10,000 miles on their car????? and again with 15,000 and 20,000 miles. I Really like my car.., other than the things that TSX-girlie said are bothering her......, all of these problems which i have (1) clutch creek & click...., (20 brake pulsing....., (3) windows make serious noises sometimes........,and worst of all....., a clunking noise in my drivetrain or suspension on turns/accelerations. Just bothering..., thats all. And like I said I honestly dont think it has to do with my driving habits other than driving hard & braking hard........, Honestly think of myself as a concious and knowledgeable driver when it comes to the systems that make up my car.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

You sound like the service manager at my Acura dealership. Always blaming the driver, not the car.

If I applied any more pressure to the break pedal, my stops would be very abrupt and would annoy my wife or anyone else riding in the car.

Without a doubt, this IS an equipment-realted issue, especially considering that people who have switched to aftermarket brands no longer experience brake shuddering/warping ...or whatever term applies to this issue.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Racer

im with tinky winky........., brake problem is corrected with aftermarket parts....
Old 08-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

Seriously though, if you find the brakes to be unsatisfactory (which should be a resounding YES). Just shell out some $80+ or so for some new pads and perform the install. This will save you from the headaches of the service manager and their lectures about proper braking technique. Brakes are meant to stop the car confidently, and consistently...at least without relaying any feeling of uneasiness to the driver. If this happens on a new car before 10K miles (or any mileage really) then obviously it's an equipment related issue.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
You sound like the service manager at my Acura dealership. Always blaming the driver, not the car.

If I applied any more pressure to the break pedal, my stops would be very abrupt and would annoy my wife or anyone else riding in the car.

Without a doubt, this IS an equipment-realted issue, especially considering that people who have switched to aftermarket brands no longer experience brake shuddering/warping ...or whatever term applies to this issue.
So if you're using a hammer to drive a nail and you smash your thumb...Equipment failure or operator error?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brake pads are a wear item. If you can convince your dealer, as some here have, that the pads and not the driver are a problem then more power to you. Some dealers will do that for good customers to maintain goodwill if the mileage is not too high. However, no dealer will replace OEM equipment with anything other than OEM equipment.

The brakes shimmy they way they do because of brake material transfer from the pad to the rotor. There is a way to prevent that by using the braking methods described above. If you choose not to follow the suggested methods then by all means, complain, complain, and complain some more. The dealer won't give you aftermarket pads or rotors. They may turn your rotors (not the cause of the problem) because you insist on it. They may put on new OEM pads because you insist on it. But, none of this will make the problem go away unless you change the way you brake (the reason why the problem developed in the first place) or you get aftermarket equipment.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro

I don't know about breaking habits being the sole factor in these situations. Too many people are experiencing the same problem, and i never had the same problem on my other car. In any event, I just purchased a set of front and rear Axxis Ultimate brake pads. I will have them installed asap when i get them.

I was wondering if I should have the rotors resurfaced as well? Will the dealer do it for free since I only have 17k miles or will they give me hell because of the aftermarket brake pads? Thanks

Quick Reply: Fustration about brakes