drivers windows rattling/creaking fixed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 12:11 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drivers windows rattling/creaking fixed

My drivers side window would emit a low rumbling or rattling sound. I decided to try the same thing that worked for my moonroof, that is apply 303 aerospace protectant on the inside of the subber seals.

I did this mostly on the inside...pealed the seal back enough to get a rag with 303 applied to it and rubbed down all along the seal. I did any part that touches the door. What I assumed was it wasnt the seal touching the window that made the noise, but the part of the seal that touched the door. In my case it looks like this was the problem. Went all the way around (except corners because i dont think those can be pealed back) and the rattling is gone!

So for me it was the exact same issue as with the moonroof. Metal against rubber sqeaking. People have had success with vynolex as well so if you already have that give it a shot. Some have used silicon based stuff too but I would try and avoid that as it may break down the rubber over time.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah this worked for me too. I have to do it every couple of weeks, though. Now we just need to figure out how to fix the windshield squeaks.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Advanced

...on all of my Honda products I have had to periodically clean the top area of side window glass where the glass slides into the rubber seal, if this isn't done fairly often you will start hearing an annoying squeaky/rattly sound when on any slightly rough road surface. This has been my experience with ALL of them, not a big problem, but it is good to know what the cause is - and what can be done to correct it...it is also neccessary to clean and lubricate the seal on all moonroofs several times a year, as has already been mentioned in earlier threads, or the things will drive you nuts with all the noise they can make.
...another thing I just found out - on my car the tolerances are so tight where the rear drivers side seat comes up to the inside of the door that the leather/leatherette comes in contact with the door panel and starts making a squeaking noise...I will have to fix that as well - right now I have a piece of kleenex stuck where it seems to make the noise stop...

Lorne Miller
Old 11-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Where did you buy the 303 protectant?
Old 11-02-2003, 09:30 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by chumley
Where did you buy the 303 protectant?

Their website lists all the places you can get it. I bought mine at zellers. Stuff like vynolex works too.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Acura Fan

My Driver's window rattles like crazy, but when it snowed/rained here, the rattles stopped. Unfortunately, as soon as the weather dried up, the rattles came back. It was so nice to have an unrattled car for a change.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:25 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by jt5905
My Driver's window rattles like crazy, but when it snowed/rained here, the rattles stopped. Unfortunately, as soon as the weather dried up, the rattles came back. It was so nice to have an unrattled car for a change.

jt5905: Well try what I did and it should take car of the rattles.

Lorne: What I have found is that its not the area thats touching the glass thats making the noise, but where the seal hugs the metal, on the inside of the door.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:16 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Re: drivers windows rattling/creaking fixed

Originally posted by fdl
I did this mostly on the inside...pealed the seal back enough to get a rag with 303 applied to it and rubbed down all along the seal. I did any part that touches the door. What I assumed was it wasnt the seal touching the window that made the noise, but the part of the seal that touched the door. In my case it looks like this was the problem. Went all the way around (except corners because i dont think those can be pealed back) and the rattling is gone!
Looking from the inside of the car with the driver's door open, and I roll down the (driver's side) window, this is the top & left inside seal, right? Peel that seal back from the inside and apply the 303? Not the rubber seal on the top of the door.

If this works, maybe all it needs is vaseline or some sort of a grease that won't disappear in 3 weeks or so.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Bound for Europe

praise fdl!

I have the window rattle/screech thing and I have 303

To the garage!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:19 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: drivers windows rattling/creaking fixed

Originally posted by hondaboy_tsx
Looking from the inside of the car with the driver's door open, and I roll down the (driver's side) window, this is the top & left inside seal, right? Peel that seal back from the inside and apply the 303? Not the rubber seal on the top of the door.

If this works, maybe all it needs is vaseline or some sort of a grease that won't disappear in 3 weeks or so.

Yes, this is the seal along top and left. You peal it back on this inside part which touches the metal door frame (pull it away just enough to slide your finger and cloth in, and wipe it down. Its kinda hard to describe.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Re: Re: drivers windows rattling/creaking fixed

Originally posted by fdl
Yes, this is the seal along top and left. You peal it back on this inside part which touches the metal door frame (pull it away just enough to slide your finger and cloth in, and wipe it down. Its kinda hard to describe.
The seal along the actual door itself or along the body of the car where the door meets the body? Please clarify. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:16 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: drivers windows rattling/creaking fixed

Originally posted by miner
The seal along the actual door itself or along the body of the car where the door meets the body? Please clarify. Thank you.
Its the seal on the door, the one that would touch the glass when the window is closed. I'll try and take a picture later if it would help.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Old timer

I think what he's saying is it's the seal that's at the top of the door frame around the window, not at the base where the lock is or where you might rest your arm - but up top of the frame that would meet with the roof of your car when you close the door.
So the inside rubber piece on that part of the door frame is what it sounds like he's saying to peel back and wipe down.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:54 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

UPDATE:

OK guys, an update to this fix. So I got the noise again, in both my sunroof and my drivers side window. I figured, OK the stuff i put on last year wore off I'll just apply some more. So I did the sunroof, and it worked like a charm; did the window seal, and it didnt work! Tried again, ... didnt work. I peeled the dam seal almost right off the door and cleaned it up as good as I could, still no luck.

Then i realized I could reproduce the sound by pushing on the seal when the door was closed, but not when the door was open. So i figured maybe it was the door seal. Sure enough, I was right. I havent tested it 100% yet, but it looks like wiping down the door seal/weather stripping (on the door itself and on the car) did the trick.

I know some ppl havent had success so thought I would let you all know. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by fdl
UPDATE:

OK guys, an update to this fix. So I got the noise again, in both my sunroof and my drivers side window. I figured, OK the stuff i put on last year wore off I'll just apply some more. So I did the sunroof, and it worked like a charm; did the window seal, and it didnt work! Tried again, ... didnt work. I peeled the dam seal almost right off the door and cleaned it up as good as I could, still no luck.

Then i realized I could reproduce the sound by pushing on the seal when the door was closed, but not when the door was open. So i figured maybe it was the door seal. Sure enough, I was right. I havent tested it 100% yet, but it looks like wiping down the door seal/weather stripping (on the door itself and on the car) did the trick.

I know some ppl havent had success so thought I would let you all know. Good luck.
Thanks for the update fdl.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:16 PM
5th Gear

Just got the moonroof rattle

Okay,

I just figured out that the annoying rattle I've been hearing is from my moonroof - I can literally push up the roof with the glass closed but the lid open and hear it. Now, I'm reading here that I need to get 303 Protectant. Once I do, how do I apply it to the seals - sorry I'm a novice, but where are the moonroof seals in question - do I need to peel them back like I've been reading about the doors (which so far are okay), or do I just slide the glass back and apply the 303 to whatever looks vinyl/rubber-like?

Thanks for your help,

Analyst7
Old 06-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't need to use 303 specifically. Any rubber/vinyl treatment will work.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
You don't need to use 303 specifically. Any rubber/vinyl treatment will work.
What will work longer than a week. I have used silicone spray, but after about a week it is back.

There has to be something that lasts a long time that won't kill the rubber.

Dealer said all they can do is lube it like I do and it will only last a week. Just have to live with it they said. That is really lame...............
Old 06-21-2004, 11:06 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sveet
What will work longer than a week. I have used silicone spray, but after about a week it is back.

There has to be something that lasts a long time that won't kill the rubber.

Dealer said all they can do is lube it like I do and it will only last a week. Just have to live with it they said. That is really lame...............

Well, maybe you can do a better job. Mine definately lasts longer than a week. Make sure you get every part of the seal and clean it up real good.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
5th Gear

Moonroof fix really, really works!

I applied the 303 Aerospace Protectant (I bought it at Camper's World in LA) to the moonroof seals, and made sure to cover the back seals exposed when the moonroof is open in tilt mode. The squeaks are totally gone. Now, if I can just isolate this one click-like rattle in the steering/dash area that appears only when I hit a large bump....

Thanks all for the tips - this is a great website.

Analyst7
Old 06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

fdl... your avatar is killing me. is that the gay police guy? funny stuff
Old 06-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX Cman
fdl... your avatar is killing me. is that the gay police guy? funny stuff
You're kidding, right?
Old 06-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you've got Ponchorello mixed up with this guy;
Old 06-22-2004, 12:33 PM
pby
Instructor

You guys are really scaring me away from the TSX.

Not with the homoerotic pics, but with the fact that you guys have to spend/waste time trying to fix the rattles. If i wanted to deal with crap like that, I would have kept my PIECE OF CRAP VW GTI. It would run fine, but everything else would break/rattle/fall off....

I am only a few weeks away from buying or placing an order.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:44 PM
5th Gear

Relax - the rattles aren't as prevalent as you think

Pby,

Don't hesitate to move forward with your TSX purchase. I think most of the rattles are attributed to the extra sets of handcuffs carried around by the TSX's apparently sizable gay cop owner base.

Analyst 7
Old 06-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

My TSX does have a little dashboard rattles when it's cold and the stereo is off.
I do believe that sooner than later, Acura will come out with some bulletin about this issue (I also have a Honda Accord 2003 with navigation and Honda did issue a bulletin about moon roof rattles - my Honda has no rattles at all), but this is it, no other problems at all so far.
I love both cars - my wife is driving Honda and I'm driving TSX.
If a time would be turned back, I would buy today my Acura TSX again.

So, make your own mind and good luck.

Yuri2i
Old 06-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Do you guys think armor all would work for this?
Cause I already have this at home.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:29 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedyturtle
Do you guys think armor all would work for this?
Cause I already have this at home.

yes
Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 AM
abo
Anders

Finally took it to the dealer...

After living with the creaking noise from the top of the windows for 6 months, I finally took my Euro Accord to the dealer.

On the phone they told me that they had looked for any official service bulletins from Honda, but they didn't find any. But I could bring it in and they would take a look at it.

When I arrieved at the dealer the mechanic tried to look it up again, and this time he found a service bulletin describing the exact problem. The bulletin statede that the problem was that the door seals did not have enough silicone lubricant. The solution was to change the seals with new ones with a thicker layer of silicone.

All the time I thourgth it was the seal around the window, but the bulletin stated that it was the door seals.

They ordered four new seals for the doors. I am having them fittede next monday. Hope the problems goes away then.

Unfortunately I did not get an official number for the bulletin.

Anders
Old 09-02-2004, 10:35 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Thanks abo.

I have actually experienced both noise from the door seal, and window seals. Lubing them myself worked in both cases, but its kind of annoying. I will probably bring it up next time I am at the dealership.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Thanks abo.

I have actually experienced both noise from the door seal, and window seals. Lubing them myself worked in both cases, but its kind of annoying. I will probably bring it up next time I am at the dealership.

fdl, BTW I was at Acura 2000 on Saturday and they have not heard of the TSB for ratlles and agained claimed to this being the first they've heard of rattle problems on the TSX

I'd told him I'd wait for the TSB to be released before doing anything.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
fdl, BTW I was at Acura 2000 on Saturday and they have not heard of the TSB for ratlles and agained claimed to this being the first they've heard of rattle problems on the TSX

I'd told him I'd wait for the TSB to be released before doing anything.
I did a search with my service manager, and no TSB for us in Canada as of yet. I printed the US TSB and handed it to him. Seemed pretty glad to have his hand on this... Guess I wasn't the only one complaining to them..
Old 09-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Racer

are you people KIDDING me! maybe they dont find anything anywhere bc you all keep calling it a RATTLE. A rattle is when something is loose and making a 'rattling' noise. the damn seals (sunroof and doors) SQUEAK! maybe if we actually referred to it as the proper thing, acura would have one prime item to focus on...

sorry to come off as such a dick, but its the one thing that bothers me everytime i try to find a resolution on the tsx boards. Im on my way outside now to attempt the temporary fix with some armor all. I pray to GOD (for all of us) that acura sends whatever tsb they use in europe over here to fix the problem. Im not usually a complainer or nagger when it comes to rattles... i know all cars have a noise here and there (they are being driven over rough roads at 70 miles per hour afterall), but these window/door squeaks are absolutely rediculious. Anyone notice that it does it more when the seals are wet?

Also, in another post i mentioned how im going to my dealer later this month for an apointment. My windshield (or bottom of dash) started making an occasional RATTLE/SQUEAK over bumps. They said there is a service bulletin out for it to replace the front windshielf cowell (sp?). Ill obviously be here to let you know the results...

Aside from the door seals the only other thing im having a huge issue with is this RATTLE or loose bolt noise i hear from my steering wheel over big bumps. I know a lot of people have had it but has anyone fixed it... And dont post 'yes i fixed it' or 'yes the dealer fixed it'. If your going to gloat, at least tell us HOW!!!

Old 09-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
are you people KIDDING me! maybe they dont find anything anywhere bc you all keep calling it a RATTLE. A rattle is when something is loose and making a 'rattling' noise. the damn seals (sunroof and doors) SQUEAK! maybe if we actually referred to it as the proper thing, acura would have one prime item to focus on...

sorry to come off as such a dick, but its the one thing that bothers me everytime i try to find a resolution on the tsx boards. Im on my way outside now to attempt the temporary fix with some armor all. I pray to GOD (for all of us) that acura sends whatever tsb they use in europe over here to fix the problem. Im not usually a complainer or nagger when it comes to rattles... i know all cars have a noise here and there (they are being driven over rough roads at 70 miles per hour afterall), but these window/door squeaks are absolutely rediculious. Anyone notice that it does it more when the seals are wet?

Also, in another post i mentioned how im going to my dealer later this month for an apointment. My windshield (or bottom of dash) started making an occasional RATTLE/SQUEAK over bumps. They said there is a service bulletin out for it to replace the front windshielf cowell (sp?). Ill obviously be here to let you know the results...

Aside from the door seals the only other thing im having a huge issue with is this RATTLE or loose bolt noise i hear from my steering wheel over big bumps. I know a lot of people have had it but has anyone fixed it... And dont post 'yes i fixed it' or 'yes the dealer fixed it'. If your going to gloat, at least tell us HOW!!!

You might want to try a few more hours in bed each night, cripes. Dealers have problems fixing things that arn't described properly, but forum members have a hard time helping others out when they are being yelled at for not conforming to your ideal world.

My door seals "click". They don't rattle or squeek. The go "click, click, click, click, click, click, click........................" all the frigging time.

My A-Pillar "clicked". Same sound, now fixed by jamming cut up socks along the dash / A-pillar interface. (They tried a R/R on the windshield, but it wasn't 100%. So I fixed it).
Old 09-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

Could part of the problem be that the sunroof is out of adjustment? I've got a nearly new TSX (7k miles) that has rattled (no squeaks) on lousy roads since I took delivery. The last loaner TSX I got while getting the car serviced at the dealer had no rattles/squeaks which leads me to think that it can be fixed, and I'll bet a dealer isn't taking the time to weekly "grease" down all the sunroof seals on their loaner vehicles like several members are having to do. The only reason I'm reluctant to tell the dealer about it on my next visit because the last time I did that with another car the dealer made the problem worse. Has anyone had any luck with the dealer physically re-adjusting the sunroof?