Driver side door interior panel sometimes "gives" a little when shutting the door.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver side door interior panel sometimes "gives" a little when shutting the door.

Lately I have noticed that occasionally when I first pull the driver side door shut when I leave in the morning, it feels like the door panel is possible loose a little by say an 1/8 of the inch. After opening or closing the door a couple times within the same time frame it is not as noticeable or doesn't feel that way.

Has anybody had any problem with this?... I need to go in for my service here very soon, and I was going to have them take a look at this.... I just always get queezy feeling when it comes to them taking parts of the interior apart. (kind of a perfectionist )
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by compguy7
Lately I have noticed that occasionally when I first pull the driver side door shut when I leave in the morning, it feels like the door panel is possible loose a little by say an 1/8 of the inch. After opening or closing the door a couple times within the same time frame it is not as noticeable or doesn't feel that way.

Has anybody had any problem with this?... I need to go in for my service here very soon, and I was going to have them take a look at this.... I just always get queezy feeling when it comes to them taking parts of the interior apart. (kind of a perfectionist )
Another thing.... it only seems to "give" from the interior of the panel...... I know that where the handle is, under the rubber there is a philips screw that goes into something (ok... so maye that just needs adjusting???)
Old 04-22-2005, 09:37 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The inside of the door panel will flex if you pull it hard. Thats just because its cheap.

But it shouldnt move significantly.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Advanced

i have the same problem on my passenger side door that rattles and is loose. It rattles when i close my door, and when my 12 inch P2 hit, the bass rattles the loose panel as well. i hate the noise it gives, let me know if you get it fixed or how much it will cost to get it taken care of
Old 04-22-2005, 11:41 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The driver's door and pass door panels are made pretty differently.

The Driver's door interior horizontal handle only has that one small phillips screw. The flexing is laregly due to that. It may also be due to some broken screw receivers on the back of the trim piece that runs horizontally along the door. Mine actually had two broken screw receivers and they were rattling, but also the aft tip of the trim just broke off due to the stress of the trim being used to sandwich the upper and lower panels together...

The passenger panel has two big screws at the top and bottom of that diagonal grab handle that it has in addition to the small horizontal handle. This makes the pass door panel MUCH stiffer.

The passenger rattle described above IMO is probably due to the palstic welds on the lower door pocket. It's a poor design and a worse execution and I have gone from one broken weld to like 4. It's almost impossible to pull the door panel in this particular unit without the weld breaking and needing to be rewelded before re-assembly. The problem is that taking off the panel places lots of stress on the weld at the bottom clise to the speaker (there's christmas tree there that holds the pocket to the door as the panel is plled away from the door, and the weld doesn't take the stress at all.

I am considering buying a new door panel to fix this.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ does this guy rock or what
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elduderino
The driver's door and pass door panels are made pretty differently.

The Driver's door interior horizontal handle only has that one small phillips screw. The flexing is laregly due to that. It may also be due to some broken screw receivers on the back of the trim piece that runs horizontally along the door. Mine actually had two broken screw receivers and they were rattling, but also the aft tip of the trim just broke off due to the stress of the trim being used to sandwich the upper and lower panels together...

The passenger panel has two big screws at the top and bottom of that diagonal grab handle that it has in addition to the small horizontal handle. This makes the pass door panel MUCH stiffer.

The passenger rattle described above IMO is probably due to the palstic welds on the lower door pocket. It's a poor design and a worse execution and I have gone from one broken weld to like 4. It's almost impossible to pull the door panel in this particular unit without the weld breaking and needing to be rewelded before re-assembly. The problem is that taking off the panel places lots of stress on the weld at the bottom clise to the speaker (there's christmas tree there that holds the pocket to the door as the panel is plled away from the door, and the weld doesn't take the stress at all.

I am considering buying a new door panel to fix this.
Thanks elduderino...

Shortly after my post... I went to the this website: Sunnyside parts

I was going to see if it was first the screw/receivers at the handle... because thats where most of the stress is....

If that is the case, I would think that should be done under warranty...