The Dreaded P0341 Code - Repair Shop Recommendation (Austin, TX)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dreaded P0341 Code - Repair Shop Recommendation (Austin, TX)

I recently got the P0341 code as well and the dealership informed I would need the timing chain and tensioner replaced. Can anyone recommend me to a reputable local repair shop in Austin, TX? I would like to avoid the high dealership costs if possible especially since I'm on a tight budget.

Thank you in advance for your response and assistance!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by babyd927
I recently got the P0341 code as well and the dealership informed I would need the timing chain and tensioner replaced. Can anyone recommend me to a reputable local repair shop in Austin, TX? I would like to avoid the high dealership costs if possible especially since I'm on a tight budget.

What year is your TSX and how many miles does it have?
The following users liked this post:
babyd927 (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
What year is your TSX and how many miles does it have?
It's a 2004 with roughly 91,000 miles. Maintenance and oil changes were completed according to Acura's maintenance schedules.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Are you sure that is the problem? You may want to go get a second opinion before dropping a bunch of money on what may not be the problem. It could be the camshaft position sensor or wiring connections...
babyd927 (12-01-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Dreaded, huh? "P0341 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor and Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Incorrect Phase Detected"

OK:

1) Has the dealership performed a diagnosis on this vehicle yet? I ask, because replacing the chain and/or tensioner is NOT the first step on a P0341 code. To determine this is necessary means at least opening the tensioner inspection plate on the timing cover, at a minimum, and even then it's an educated guess.

2) The real check on cam stretch/timing involves removal of the cylinder head cover...was this done?

3) The first 9 troubleshooting steps involve checking it's not a transient issue, then it's check the VTC oil control solenoid valve (step 10), them they get to the cam chain timing (step 11) and possible stretch (step 12).

4) Problems with the VTC oil control solonoid valve have cropped up on here with some frequency. The most common issue seems to be either a clogged filter screen on the valve or simply low oil level.

If the stealership jumped immediately to replacing the chain/tensioner, run away! If they did a diagnostic, ask for a copy of their data and checks.
babyd927 (12-01-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
Dreaded, huh? "P0341 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor and Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Incorrect Phase Detected"

OK:

1) Has the dealership performed a diagnosis on this vehicle yet? I ask, because replacing the chain and/or tensioner is NOT the first step on a P0341 code. To determine this is necessary means at least opening the tensioner inspection plate on the timing cover, at a minimum, and even then it's an educated guess.

2) The real check on cam stretch/timing involves removal of the cylinder head cover...was this done?

3) The first 9 troubleshooting steps involve checking it's not a transient issue, then it's check the VTC oil control solenoid valve (step 10), them they get to the cam chain timing (step 11) and possible stretch (step 12).

4) Problems with the VTC oil control solonoid valve have cropped up on here with some frequency. The most common issue seems to be either a clogged filter screen on the valve or simply low oil level.

If the stealership jumped immediately to replacing the chain/tensioner, run away! If they did a diagnostic, ask for a copy of their data and checks.
Where is this oil control solonoid valve? Also, how exactly does the filter screen on the valve become clogged? changing this filter screen is not part of any maintenance requirement is it?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by babyd927

Did you check the oil level periodically?

For example, if you changed the oil every 5000 miles, did the oil level on the dipstick change between oil changes? Did you need to add oil between oil changes?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by main70072
Are you sure that is the problem? You may want to go get a second opinion before dropping a bunch of money on what may not be the problem. It could be the camshaft position sensor or wiring connections...
I'm not 100% certain and mainly going off what the dealership informed me. However, after reading a different post in this forum most P0341 code resulted in the timing chain/tensioner replacement. I guess I can try to replace the camshaft since it's a cheap part and get a 2nd opinion from a different shop.

Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

OK:

Yeah, to me it's "dreaded" based on comments provided by other drivers in this forum. It's not a cheap repair at the dealership since they quoted me ~$1900. Go figure...the dealership's margins are ridiculous.

I went in for an oil change and had the dealership read the code associated to the check emissions light (which I already knew). They informed me my timing chain was stretched and I needed to complete the repairs right away before I caused additional damage to the engine. Unfortunately, I did not ask for a copy of their data/checklist but instead was provided a list of repairs needed.

In terms of the other troubleshooting steps you outlined...I'm not certain if it was completed by the dealership...I may need to get a 2nd opinion but need a recommendation to a repair shop in Austin. I've had nothing but bad experience going to shops based on yelp reviews and etc...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Did you check the oil level periodically?

For example, if you changed the oil every 5000 miles, did the oil level on the dipstick change between oil changes? Did you need to add oil between oil changes?
In the last 3 oil changes I have noticed that I was consuming more oil than prior oil change intervals. I went to the dealership in Houston and completed a compression test and all cylinders checked out within Acura's spec. At that time I was still under extended warranty so the dealership and I called them to determine if they would cover a breakdown of the engine to determine the issue. No go and rejected...the extended warranty broker informed us my oil consumption was normal for an Acura. I was roughly burning a quart of oil every 3,000 miles and needed to add oil in between oil changes. Needless to say my warranty expired in Sept and now I'm in need of repairs...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Suggest the following page:

http://www.texas.aaa.com/en-tx/buy-m...s/aarhome.aspx

Enter your car and zipcode data and check out the results. At least they meet some standards. Consumption is high.

The VTC oil control solonoid is located under the top cover, the one just beyond the oil fill, to the passenger side. The screens are integral, and no a maintanence item.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Pro

Suggest the following page:

http://www.texas.aaa.com/en-tx/buy-m...s/aarhome.aspx

Enter your car and zipcode data and check out the results. At least they meet some standards. Consumption is high.

The VTC oil control solonoid is located under the top cover, the one just beyond the oil fill, to the passenger side. The screens are integral, and no a maintanence item.
Do you know of a diagram online that shows the location of this solonoid so that i can see it? when you say top cover, are you referring to the valve cover that has the oil cap on it?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
babyd927....Check out the thread "Disappearing oil" below...The amont of oil you are using is very similar to my experience... Replacing the PCV valve has pretty much fixed the problem. My TSX was starting to use about 1 quart every 2,500 miles. With the new PCV valve it has used less than 1/4 quart in th 3,000 miles I've driven since the valve was replaced.
babyd927 (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vollum
babyd927....Check out the thread "Disappearing oil" below...The amont of oil you are using is very similar to my experience... Replacing the PCV valve has pretty much fixed the problem. My TSX was starting to use about 1 quart every 2,500 miles. With the new PCV valve it has used less than 1/4 quart in th 3,000 miles I've driven since the valve was replaced.
Thank you for the recommendation. I noticed the PCV valve is fairly inexpensive and pretty accessible for DIY replacement. I'll give that a try and monitor my oil consumption after my next oil change.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Do you know of a diagram online that shows the location of this solonoid so that i can see it? when you say top cover, are you referring to the valve cover that has the oil cap on it?
Go here...

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/...your-acura.asp

The select your year...model...version...engine...VTC oil control valve...and then look through the parts for the VTC oil control (#007 on a 2006 Navi 6-mt). You can zoom the picture, and the part with the o-ring on the end is the filter portion you could clean.
Miamicarfan (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Pro

Go here...

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/...your-acura.asp

The select your year...model...version...engine...VTC oil control valve...and then look through the parts for the VTC oil control (#007 on a 2006 Navi 6-mt). You can zoom the picture, and the part with the o-ring on the end is the filter portion you could clean.
Thank you.