Do not use CDRs in the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:08 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Do not use CDRs in the TSX

Guys,
I just got back from the dealer. The CD player in my TSX always skips the first song on every CD. The dealer will replace the whole head unit free of charge (covered under the warranty).

I asked the technical advisor how much the head unit costs. He replied very seriously $4,070CDN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's just for the part (3 hours of work needs to be added to this)! He was dead serious. He told me that in a near future the price of the head unit will go down but for now, that's the price (they order the part directly from Japan).

The advisor also told me that if someone brings TSX with a defective head unit and they discover that the cause of the CD failure is a CDR, they would not cover it under warranty.

Guys watch out!!!!

Luc
Old 12-05-2003, 01:18 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cd-rs are fine. The only way a cd-r can wreck your changer is if you put a label sticker on it and it comes off (which is very possible when it heats up).

So never use labals on your cd-rs.

That head unit price is ridiculous. It probably costs them $100 to make. Talk about price gouging.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Registered AssHat

Every CD save one in my changer is a CD-R.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:27 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Guys, I'm just quoting the technical advisor's words... I do have some CDRs in mine as well :d
Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Racer

brutal.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Re: Do not use CDRs in the TSX

Originally posted by lgregoir
Guys,
I just got back from the dealer. The CD player in my TSX always skips the first song on every CD. The dealer will replace the whole head unit free of charge (covered under the warranty).

I asked the technical advisor how much the head unit costs. He replied very seriously $4,070CDN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's just for the part (3 hours of work needs to be added to this)! He was dead serious. He told me that in a near future the price of the head unit will go down but for now, that's the price (they order the part directly from Japan).

The advisor also told me that if someone brings TSX with a defective head unit and they discover that the cause of the CD failure is a CDR, they would not cover it under warranty.

Guys watch out!!!!

Luc
I don't have the manual near me now but I could swear that it says in the manual that CD-R's are fine and the player would not have any problems with them. CDR-W's are a different story. If my memory is correct the manual said that they are a no-no. The homemade labels are also mentioned ...I think.....
Old 12-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Pro

I had to check...

Pg. 156:

"For best results when using CD-R discs, use only high quality discs labelled for audio use. When recording a CD-R, the recording must be closed in order for the disc to be used by CD players. CD-RW discs will not work in this unit."

Everyone knows the only difference between data cd-r's and "audio use" ones is the nice tax sent back to the RIAA.

No mention about labels. CD-RW's work fine in my unit.

Given the "best results" wording, and lack of "do not use - this will damage your car" wording, I think it would be difficult for Acura to deny a warranty claim based on media type.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:05 AM
Instructor

I have a track playing problem with one of my burned CD's that's in my TSX right now. It seems like it's playing track one, but no sound comes out, all the other tracks are fine. Is this the kind of problem you're having. I just assumed I messed up the burning of the CD, since all my other burned CD's work fine.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:23 AM
Racer

Originally posted by kiteboy
I had to check...

Pg. 156:

"For best results when using CD-R discs, use only high quality discs labelled for audio use. When recording a CD-R, the recording must be closed in order for the disc to be used by CD players. CD-RW discs will not work in this unit."

Everyone knows the only difference between data cd-r's and "audio use" ones is the nice tax sent back to the RIAA.

No mention about labels. CD-RW's work fine in my unit.

Given the "best results" wording, and lack of "do not use - this will damage your car" wording, I think it would be difficult for Acura to deny a warranty claim based on media type.
good find. i would be mad at my acura dealer if they refused fo fix my cd player if i used CD-Rs cause thats all i use. i haven't owned a real CD in the longest time.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:05 AM
Don't get run over!

I have a bunch of CD-Rs I play in my TSX and CR-V and not a problem yet with my CD player.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Ditto - no problems with any CD-R's.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Advanced

If there was something really wrong with CDRs all of our covential cd players, discmans would be trashed. I doubt the laser pick up in our TSX is any different from our audio equipment so there should be no reason why a CDR damages our car CD changer.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:54 AM
Advanced

i've been having the problem with the 1st track not playing either ......... i think it has to do with the brand of cdrs that u use. Everytime i use MEMOREX CDRS i have a hard time.......but others seem to work fine.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Panzerkampfsnowzen

Download CDR Identifier and match it against this.
I've always used Fuji's and have never had a problem playing them in any CD player...