DIY - Steering Wheel Rattle - PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:28 PM
RooDHawG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY - Steering Wheel Rattle - PLZ HELP

I have the steering wheel rattle on my new 2006 w/ 200 miles on it and read here that it is most likely the airbag wire/harness that is loose and causing the noise. I have also read about how dealers are in such a hurry to correct this problem that they end up scratching and scuffing up the interior in the process. I am guessing I might be able to open up the steering wheel and correct this problem myself thus avoiding any dealer contact who doesn't care about my new precious. My worries are accidentally deploying the airbag when attempting to access the harness...so has anyone attempted to tackle this little nuisance themselves and completed it successfully? If so, please enlighten me.

Thanks

Old 01-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by RooDHawG
I have the steering wheel rattle on my new 2006 w/ 200 miles on it and read here that it is most likely the airbag wire/harness that is loose and causing the noise. I have also read about how dealers are in such a hurry to correct this problem that they end up scratching and scuffing up the interior in the process. I am guessing I might be able to open up the steering wheel and correct this problem myself thus avoiding any dealer contact who doesn't care about my new precious. My worries are accidentally deploying the airbag when attempting to access the harness...so has anyone attempted to tackle this little nuisance themselves and completed it successfully? If so, please enlighten me.

Thanks

Why not disconnect the battery, then there are not worries.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Is the Steering wheel rattle something that has a TSB issued for it?? I have an 06 AT and I am noticing a rattle/vibration from the steering wheel as well.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 PM
RooDHawG

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Why not disconnect the battery, then there are not worries.
That would be an option though I would rather not do that as I have heard I loose all of my custom voice entries and stuff...might be my only options though to be entirely safe. Also need ing to know how to get the steering wheel cover off and not break anything.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 01:59 PM
RooDHawG

Originally Posted by Acurasrule
Is the Steering wheel rattle something that has a TSB issued for it?? I have an 06 AT and I am noticing a rattle/vibration from the steering wheel as well.
Mine is not any type of vibration, just a rattle. Don't know if this is the same thing.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RooDHawG
That would be an option though I would rather not do that as I have heard I loose all of my custom voice entries and stuff...might be my only options though to be entirely safe. Also need ing to know how to get the steering wheel cover off and not break anything.

Thanks
Just an observation, but how do you know you won't wreck your interior any worse than an Acura mechanic? At the very least, if they do mess up your stuff, you don't leave the lot with the car. You bring the Service Mgr out an politely explain that his service guys are a bunch of fkin idiots and you want everything messed up fixed.

Oh, you know that an airbag has the potential to go off once you remove it? And if you do disconnect any airbag device with the battery plugged in, it will get logged into the computer and you may very well pop a SRS warning light which will require you to visit the dealer and I bet they will have a few questions.

Just a little FYI for anyone thinking about DIY.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM
RooDHawG

Originally Posted by moda_way
Just an observation, but how do you know you won't wreck your interior any worse than an Acura mechanic? At the very least, if they do mess up your stuff, you don't leave the lot with the car. You bring the Service Mgr out an politely explain that his service guys are a bunch of fkin idiots and you want everything messed up fixed.

Oh, you know that an airbag has the potential to go off once you remove it? And if you do disconnect any airbag device with the battery plugged in, it will get logged into the computer and you may very well pop a SRS warning light which will require you to visit the dealer and I bet they will have a few questions.

Just a little FYI for anyone thinking about DIY.
Yes, all of your points are good ones and I am sure that there are reliable mechanics that DO take care when maintaining or fixing an issue. And if they don't they would be responsible. I have just had some bad experiences in the past and since my car is still new, I was looking for options to do it myself since I know I will take extra care in whatever I do, especially on the interior (plastic parts scratch pretty easily). My main concern was deploying the airbag but I didn't think about tripping the SRS light...thanks for the reply.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would worry about losing your warranty. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) if you handle the car yourself you loose your warranty. You need to take it to your authorized Acura service department.

I have a similar problem with my steering, I'm not sure if it the same problem but when I turn the steering wheel, either left or right it makes a squeaking noise as if something is rubbing inside. Also as I'm driving I hear a noise as if there is a small rock or object, lose inside jumping around. It’s really subtle but is there.

I took it to the dealer two times now, and the noise is still there, I have an appointment for this weekend, to see if they can find the problem once more.

The first time I took it they thought it was the power steering system; they kept my car for 3 days and replaced the whole system. And the noise remained.

The second time I took it, they kept it for another 3 days and they replaced a band in the steering wheel. They told me that if the problem continues that they will replace the steering wheel.

I will see what happens this weekend when I take it back, hopefully it fixes the problem.

I recommend that you try going to a small dealer where they do not get many cars, and try not to rush them, If they need to keep the car for a couple of days let them, but make sure you get a loner.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^Not necessarily true at all. It is more or less around specific areas. For instance, if I change my own oil and can prove atleast on their schedule, then that won't void the warranty. However, if I reflash the ECU, then just about everything can be called into question. So it depends.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moda_way
^^Not necessarily true at all. It is more or less around specific areas. For instance, if I change my own oil and can prove atleast on their schedule, then that won't void the warranty. However, if I reflash the ECU, then just about everything can be called into question. So it depends.

Thank for clearing that up for me.