Cracking leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracking leather

I was wondering if anyone had any problems with the leather cracking on any of the seats. I have had my car for not yet a year and the rear seat behind the driver has cracked and is crumpling away near the seam at the bottom of the seat. There is about a 2"x1" hole where you can see the foam underneath. The only thing that has been in my back seat is paper. Also my drivers seat has multiple creases by the knee edge of the seat. Has anyone ever tried to deal w/ this w/ the dealer as a warranty issue? :'(
Old 06-30-2004, 10:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Moved to Problems and Fixes.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of maintenance have you been doing on the seats (armour all, leather protectant, 303?) and is your car parked outdoors? Just wondering what the causes could be.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Orangeblood

Maybe just a bad batch o leather. It's a natural material, QC can't be perfect. See your dealer, sounds like a warranty issue to me.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:40 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

http://www.parasolinc.com/leather_co...iew.asp?pId=25

This may be a good idea to avoid further cracking.

Good luck
Old 07-01-2004, 08:39 AM
3rd Gear

I use armour all leather conditioner about once a month.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I have cracking on the left bolster of the driver's seat. I am taking the TSX to the dealer next week, will see if they will replace it under warranty.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:24 AM
Advanced

i always think you should use shoe polish, or leather jacket polish
Old 07-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Instructor

It should be covered under warranty. I was told by my dealer that Honda has been pretty good about replacing cracked leather under warranty.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Hi, I've been I guess what you would call lurking for a while but never really posted. I just bought my TSX on Monday (White Pearl, Tan interior w/the wood trim-won't post a picture as alot of people here have the same car/color and I don't plan to modify it in any means, beside, I actually don't know how to put a picture up anyway) and its not been a week and am noticing the cracking as well. My previous car was a 1999 CL and the leather was the smoothe type. It cracked but it was 5 years old (I did condition and clean on a weekly-bi-weekly basis). I just found out today that the drivers seat has what appears to be a "slice" between two perferations. I thought it was a hair but its not. Not deep though I'm worried what it will look like or how it will be effected by age. Than when I looked at the passenger seat, were the leather was wrinkled it was cracked already. I was wondering if any one you guys had a update if Acura took care of it for you?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:35 PM
04 remembrance

Condition your leather at least once a month to prevent further cracks.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I took my car to the dealer, they agreed to replace leather cover on the seat under the warranty. But first they have to order it.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Quattro in.....

Glad to hear the leather is covered by warranty!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Intermediate

Just took mine in today as well and they're also replacing the leather under warranty, although it sounds like their only replacing the affected panel (their words). My '99 had a different type of leather I guess, it didnt have the texture or whatever you call it. Now because of the leather defect (given I only bought the car on the 6th of this month) now I'm all paranoid about the leather. I know leather can look different from car to car but the passenger side bolster looks like its 10 years old and like its not on there very tight, so I'm worried about that. They said to just take care of it(which I do, my Cl had no cracks at all, just the usual creases) and if something happens to bring it in, but I kind of don't trust them on that. Hows some of your folks seats look at this point in ownership?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Racer

Dont use armour all. From what i've heard they put in too much silicon in their products and can damage the leather or the vinyl. and isnt some sections of our car vinyl and not leather?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Orangeblood

The consensus is that everything on the front or upper sides of the seats, including the bolsters and the front of the headrest is leather. It may be heavily coated leather, but leather nonetheless. The lower parts and backs are vinyl. If you look you can see a difference in the grain.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

Cracking leather

Hey fellow tsxers, er...yeah. I don't post very often but read quite alot and thought maybe I could get the feed back of other drivers. I have a PWP AT and the things only 6 months old, just brought it into the dealr for the 10k service (they still have it too, got a loaner). Anyway, every since I bought this car (and I love the car mind you) I have had nothing but problems with the leather. Ther was a slice that was discovered a day after it was bought in drivers seat (really small, between two of those little holes) that was fixed. Than the passenger frint seat had a crack running down the seat back that was replaced. Now the drivers seat is cracking/peeling now. Its ever so slight but peeling none the less. The previous car I had was a '99 Cl and the leather was the smooth type. I've never owned one like this where its textured. And I do take care of my seats, always washing and waxing them. Has anyone else had problems like this or is my car just a fluke? I get concerned now because if this is how it is at 10k, what about a year down the road! How about the drivers in Hawaii/oahu, hows your cars been? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks-
Old 01-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my PWP/Parch. for 13 months and, so far (fingers crossed) the seats have held up OK. NO cracking or peeling yet. However, I have noticed that the pleather (non-perforated) areas on the side bolsters have developed wrinkes that seem to be getting more and more prominant. I condition the seats with Loxol Leather Conditioner about once every 2 months and the car has been garaged and out of the SoCal sunlight for the most part so I view these wrinkles with some apprehension. I wonder how long before they turn into cracks.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Ebony interior and no problems at all, though I have noticed the wrinkling as well.

Seem some folks who have had issues due to clothing and accessories catching on the leather.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

thanks for the replys. The dealer still has the car so I'll see how it is when they return it. My previous car was 4 years Old (the CL) when I traded it in aside form normal wear on a car with almost 90k on it, but I still wonder/worry about the durability of the TSX leather. Makes me wish I bought the black interior (if only I could have gotten the wood look in it)! Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Luke 1:37

What do you guys use to maintain the leather. It was pouring the other day and the seats got wet. I noticed yesterday that the side of the seat's leather was kinda wrinkly. I've never owned a car with leather so any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:41 AM

So, if they're half leather half vinyl, how do people maintain the seats? What are the suggested products to use and what parts of the seats should you not use leather specific products and what not. Man, I'm hoping that maintaining the leather is not a hassle. Rain got onto my seats and it looks wrinkly now.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Got Phó?

Same here, i own my TSX for 2months now and i also notice my driver seat( left bottom side ) is wrinkly! i did my leather contioning last month! Cheap leather?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Got Phó?

Same here, i own my TSX for 2months now and i also notice my driver seat( left bottom side ) is wrinkly! i did my leather contioning last month! Cheap leather?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by virtualbong
What do you guys use to maintain the leather. It was pouring the other day and the seats got wet. I noticed yesterday that the side of the seat's leather was kinda wrinkly. I've never owned a car with leather so any help would be appreciated.
I use lexol leather conditioner for the seats. Treat them about once a month. You should be able to buy it at your local auto store.

http://www.lexol.com/newauto.html
Old 04-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So, if they're half leather half vinyl, how do people maintain the seats? What are the suggested products to use and what parts of the seats should you not use leather specific products and what not. Man, I'm hoping that maintaining the leather is not a hassle. Rain got onto my seats and it looks wrinkly now.
I think that most leather products will also work on leather.

When i was in furniture sales, the store recommended the sale stuff for Vinyl and leather.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Alin10123

When i was in furniture sales, the store recommended the sale stuff for Vinyl and leather.
Wait, did you mean most leather products will also work on vinyl?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wait, did you mean most leather products will also work on vinyl?
Usually. Yes... They are somewhat interchangeable in some cases.
However... you'll get better results if you use a vinyl conditioner on vinyl and leather for leather.

However, i was recommended lexol for the leather (perforated) part and 303 protectant for the vinyl part of the seat.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Racer

had my TSX for 10 days now... the driver seat bolster closest to the door is getting wrinkly already! i spent 1 hour on my new '05 tsx conditioning the leather with Zaino z10 on the vinyl and Lexol on the perforated parts...

it seems to work okay...my vote goes to Lexol for effectiveness..it actually softens the performations and feels smooth...while the zaino smells nice...but it seems to accentuate the winkles more... talk about Acura!... i cant believe this is happening...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Sorry, but what is a bolster? I have read that many cars (particularly German ones) have problems with creases and wrinkles in the left bolster of the driver seat.

Will my dealer replace my leather under warranty, if it is torn? A tiny piece is torn from mine. And of course, I have the wrinkles too. Can't they claim the wrinkles are normal "wear and tear?"

And one poster mentioned they are going to replace a specific section of his leather. How is this possible? Isn't it just one big skin?

And I use Lexol for all my seats, pleather or not.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:58 AM
Je t'aime...

Glad to finally figure the leather is under warranty. My TSX, I have owned it for about 2 years. The leather right now is pretty wrinkly on the driver side seats (left side of the seats). The passenger side up front is holding up OKAY not that bad.. You can see the lines. Soon to be wrinkly I guess? Few more months of people sitting there. But yeah, TSX leather are pretty cheap. Cheaper than Lexus/Infiniti leather, but Lexus/Infiniti leather isn't really that great either. I got friends that own 2008 G35/2007 IS250. The IS250 is just as wrinkly as mine, but his leather looks dirty. Same with the G, but it doesn't look dirty. TSX Leather might be cheap, but it doesn't get dirty from your clothes like the IS leather.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alin10123

How about Mink Oil? That is supposed to be pretty good, just thought of it. I have some for my jacket, maybe will try it. Also found some info here:
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/help/leatherCare.phtml
Old 03-23-2010, 02:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by vq30gtr
How about Mink Oil? That is supposed to be pretty good, just thought of it. I have some for my jacket, maybe will try it. Also found some info here:
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/help/leatherCare.phtml
I have used Lexol leather cleaning products for the past 7 years. It comes in three flavors Cleaner, Conditioner and Rubber Conditioner. This stuff is pricey, but there is nothing better!