could my windshield be lose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could my windshield be lose?

While I'm driving, I now hear loud rattling from the front windshield area. I have no clue what it's from. I think it might be from the rear-view mirror, but I don't see it shaking. Has anyone else heard noises from their front windshield area?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed some things myself lately. Squeaking noise coming from the fron winshield area. Tonight I went to get some dinner, and it was horrible and unacceptable. I think being cold out had something to do with it and this was the first time it was unacceptable. If it continues I'll be at the dealer pronto.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:38 PM
TSX, baby!

Check out your SUNROOF. More specifically, check out this thread:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...silicone+spray

Old 10-01-2003, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Definitely not the sunroof. No, this squeak comes from the front winshield.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I have the exact same problem, and it only happens when it's cold! We had an extreme temperature change this week; the low went from ~70 to ~50 in a couple days and that's when my windsheild started creaking like crazy! It does it every morning now on the way to school, but it's gone by mid-afternoon when I leave.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Advanced

I also have sqeaky ass front windshield. cold weather really makes it noticeble. Worse over uneven road surfaces. I had that on my 93 Altima but expected on Japanese built sedan
Old 10-04-2003, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

me too!

hey guys,

i'm new to this forum, just picked up my tsx last saturday.... anyway i love it but that front windshield area "creak" is driving me nuts. I live in NY and it is cold now, so maybe it has something to do with that, but in any case its ridiculous for a new car! If the problem persists for another week i'm taking it in to get it fixed. Actually, i was reading on edmunds the other day on the tsx forum that acura is aware of this problem and is working on a "universal fix" for this problem, and it should be solved within a few weeks. Hopefully!
Old 10-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Does this sound occur all the time, over bumps, or at any particular rpm?? I have a new rattle that is driving me crazy - it only occurs when the vibrations from the engine are particularly rough, which in my AT is when it is in reverse or as I slow down at a light just before the car stops. It sounds like it is coming from the windshield/dash to the left of the driver's side. When I got home on day 1, I popped the hood and thought the rubbery insulation on nearest the driver door just under the hood was loose.

The only other rattle I have occurs with the stereo cranked up.. that one I can live with, but this new sound is pissing me off.

All the rattle talk on this site has me a little paranoid... frequently I'll think I hear something, turn off the stereo, and start investigating the sound.... only to find out that it's my sunglasses in the holder, put away hastily and squeaking away.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:30 AM
Burning Brakes

My windshield only rattles over rough terrain. And by "rough" I mean a few pebbles in the road.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Re: me too!

Originally posted by andrew99
hey guys,

i'm new to this forum, just picked up my tsx last saturday.... anyway i love it but that front windshield area "creak" is driving me nuts. I live in NY and it is cold now, so maybe it has something to do with that, but in any case its ridiculous for a new car! If the problem persists for another week i'm taking it in to get it fixed. Actually, i was reading on edmunds the other day on the tsx forum that acura is aware of this problem and is working on a "universal fix" for this problem, and it should be solved within a few weeks. Hopefully!
I live in NY, too, and since it got cold that's the reason I think the windshield is doing this because I didn't have a problem during the summer. BEWARE all those that haven't reached the colder months and that are still enjoying the hot weather because you are gonna start hearing the cracking.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:14 AM
6th Gear

It has been 6 days since I own my TSX, I too here a SINGLE 'creak'coming around the winshield/dashboard on driver side, almost every time when the car hit rough spots/ big bumps on the road. The TSX ride is definetely a sports sedan flavor (I had a smoother ride with my '99 VW Passat), causing jolts when you go though the irregularities of the road.
It seems like some wiring inside the dashboard hit something when the car got jolted. I am in Los Angeles area so the weather I don't think is a factor.
I do not know if this 'creak' is the same creak/rattle that you guys are experiencing.
So far it has been a fun experience. And so far no rattle coming from the front passenger side, which I did noticed while test driving the TSX.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:02 PM
JCG
Instructor

You can add me to the list as well.

I also have a pretty strange engine sournd coming at around 6000-7000 RPM that starts to penetrate the cabin - it sounds similar to a sucking sound or very high pitched vibration. I have 5500 miles now and have yet to bring the car for an oil change so maybe I will bring this up at my next servicing.

I feel like I have been chading rattles now since the week I purchased the car.

JCG
Old 10-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by JCG
You can add me to the list as well.

I also have a pretty strange engine sournd coming at around 6000-7000 RPM that starts to penetrate the cabin - it sounds similar to a sucking sound or very high pitched vibration. I have 5500 miles now and have yet to bring the car for an oil change so maybe I will bring this up at my next servicing.

I feel like I have been chading rattles now since the week I purchased the car.

JCG
there's another JCG??? are they your initials?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:34 PM
10th Gear

*GACK* Another one here. I'm scheduled to take it in this Friday to have them take a look at it. It's progressively driving me insane.

Definately more noticeable in cold weather and not so much in the afternoons when it's warm.

Probably going to print out this thread and give it to the service advisor to show that it's not an isolated incidence.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:40 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I just started noticing the exact same problem the past couple weeks as the weather has gotten colder. What do you guys think..is this fixable?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:21 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the temperature has dropped in the last week my windshield has also been clicking like CRAZY!!! it is really driving me nuts. It sounds like the dash is rubbing against the windshield or something
Old 10-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Squeak squeak.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Advanced

I did not hear this on initial builds in April. My car was built in early July and has the noisy ass windshield.
Other build dates similair?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Instructor

My car has also started creaking up in the windshield area recently, only when I go over larger bumps. I've had the car for about a month now, and this is the first really annoying rattle that i've noticed. What could cause this? I've heard of some cars that have spacers that are put in place when the windshield is intalled and then the spacers aren't removed and can rattle around or is it just the cold or body flex that causes this? I seem to remember my old Sentra doing this too after I got a new windshield installed... is it something that goes away after awhile?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by inkytawney
I did not hear this on initial builds in April. My car was built in early July and has the noisy ass windshield.
Other build dates similair?
June build date here. Squeak squeak.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:07 AM
Advanced

DRive home last night no squeak (80 degrees)
Drive in 55 degreess windshield squeak.

My mistake I have a June build date on my TSX.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

First time poster here!

I have the same dashboard rattles also.... I am convinced now (after reading through the posts) that this is just a symptom of cold weather. I had the exact same problem with my old 92 Geo Storm (don't laugh!)..it was only in the colder months and went away completely once it started to warm up outside.

I think it has something to do with the plastic dash expanding and contracting in different temperatures.

Anyways, just thought it might put some minds at ease!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Thanks dave. Welcome to Acura-TSX! I am starting to think the same thing, that it is a normal occurance due to expanding and contracting of materials. The TSX is so quiet that I hear noises that I never heard in other cars because everything else is quiet. I can hear the zippers tapping together on my bag, so I have to not fully zip the bag shut so the zippers won't touch!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Advanced

It could be coming from the dashboard. I have a loud rattle on the passnger side that stops when I push down on the dash up in the front near where it borders on the windshield.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:31 PM
3rd Gear

Fix to this problem

I had this problem the first time the temperature dipped too. Suprizingly this is the 1st and only rattle I have had. What I found was that the chrome strip along the lateral portion of the wind shield on the passenger's side was vibrating. I shimmed this with a small piece of stainless steel (e.g. a nail gun brad) the thickness of a dime. This completely stopped the problem and is hidden underneath the trim. I suppose the cold caused contraction of either the trim or the glass itself. This trim is on the OUTSIDE of the car. I have no other problems since this occured. Hope this helps some of you
Old 10-20-2003, 07:37 PM
CeD

kcf7:

Could you explain in greater detail?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Acura must have changed the grade of rubber used in door and window seals in the TSX. There are lots of reports of squeaks (often mistaken for rattles) from the doors, sunroof, and windshield. Lubricating the rubber helps, but silicone-based products will break down rubber. See this thread:

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5059
Old 10-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been having the same problems with the noise up front. It was almost 80 degrees outside yesterday and no noise. This morning, it was 60 degrees and had very minimal and very faint noise; as I'm driving the temp slowly crept down to 55 and the noises became more frequent and got a little louder. A few days ago, it was around 47 degrees and I thought my windshield was going to fall off or me going insane. It sounds like the dash is rubbing up against the windshield but with the correlation with temperature, it has to be the seal or something contracting and expanding between the dash and windshield. Maybe they should've made the car in colder weather

Or maybe it's something with the cars made in June cause mine has a June build date also. All this started happening after about 2000 miles

Now I need to figure out what the cracking noise is coming from the rear somewhere. I was thinking it was the sunroof, but I still hear it when I tilt it up, but don't really hear it when I fully open it
Old 10-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by TSX 'R' US
I've been having the same problems with the noise up front. It was almost 80 degrees outside yesterday and no noise. This morning, it was 60 degrees and had very minimal and very faint noise; as I'm driving the temp slowly crept down to 55 and the noises became more frequent and got a little louder. A few days ago, it was around 47 degrees and I thought my windshield was going to fall off or me going insane. It sounds like the dash is rubbing up against the windshield but with the correlation with temperature, it has to be the seal or something contracting and expanding between the dash and windshield. Maybe they should've made the car in colder weather

Or maybe it's something with the cars made in June cause mine has a June build date also. All this started happening after about 2000 miles

Now I need to figure out what the cracking noise is coming from the rear somewhere. I was thinking it was the sunroof, but I still hear it when I tilt it up, but don't really hear it when I fully open it
What's up Rockford.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Racer

My cracking noise in the rear was the edge of the headliner rubbing against the roof, along the top edge of the rear windshield. The headliner edge looked poorly finished, and wasn't tucked under. I tapped on the fabric to make sure, and yep, rustling. Easy fix at the dealer after that.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by LeMasseHammer
My cracking noise in the rear was the edge of the headliner rubbing against the roof, along the top edge of the rear windshield. The headliner edge looked poorly finished, and wasn't tucked under. I tapped on the fabric to make sure, and yep, rustling. Easy fix at the dealer after that.
I'll have to check that out sometime this week. Thanks!
Originally posted by Jason
What's up Rockford.
Hey Jason. Nothing much here. Just trying to figure out what's crackling in my TSX. Closest dealer to Rockford was Mullers Woodfield. For the size of Rockford, we don't have an Acura or an Infiniti dealership.

Seems like between 50 and 60 degrees is the transition zone between dash crackling or not.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Cruisin'

[
Now I need to figure out what the cracking noise is coming from the rear somewhere. I was thinking it was the sunroof, but I still hear it when I tilt it up, but don't really hear it when I fully open it [/B]

I think I may have a solution for this also. I have the exact same problem...it's like a "tick tick" sound everytime I go over a bump or something, and it drives me nuts also. After doing a little research, I have found a solution (at least on my vehicle):

It seems as though the rubber sealing ring around the sunroof actually "sticks" to the painted part of the car when the sunroof is closed, and everytime you hit a bump, it shifts or "un-sticks"... someone on one of the posts suggested greasing the rubber with a small amount of silicone grease and that actually seemed to do the trick! Hope that helps you out!
Cruisin'

[
Now I need to figure out what the cracking noise is coming from the rear somewhere. I was thinking it was the sunroof, but I still hear it when I tilt it up, but don't really hear it when I fully open it [/B]

I think I may have a solution for this also. I have the exact same problem...it's like a "tick tick" sound everytime I go over a bump or something, and it drives me nuts also. After doing a little research, I have found a solution (at least on my vehicle):

It seems as though the rubber sealing ring around the sunroof actually "sticks" to the painted part of the car when the sunroof is closed, and everytime you hit a bump, it shifts or "un-sticks"... someone on one of the posts suggested greasing the rubber with a small amount of silicone grease and that actually seemed to do the trick! Hope that helps you out!
Cruisin'

[

Old 10-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Cruisin'

apologies to everyone, don't know why it came out 3 times above!
Old 10-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Racer

I actually used the silicone grease method last night for the third time. It seems to work, but only for a few weeks, then the noises come back.

One problem -- someone posted that silicone grease will cause the rubber to deteriorate...

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5059

I'll try Vinylex next time I get the sunroof noises.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Advanced

Cold now and the darn front windshield is creaking over bumps--not a warm weather problem. Sounds like something rubbing it--like a seal moving but sounds like windshield coming out and not installed properly. Any more thoughts on this thing? Quite irritating.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
10000 mile checkup

Monday I am taking my TSX in for the 10000 mile checkup. I wil have them look at the following:
1) click by A-pillar/windshield
2) door rattles (not only caused by bass in music)
3) grinding drivers seat
4) alignment issues
5) 2nd gear (6MT) nothiness

I will post results after I pick up the car.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Advanced

u can add me to the list too....... im not sure if its from the cold weather must be.... cuz its been around the 50s here lately...... well i hear the noise from the front right passenger side of the windshield especially when i hit speed bumps or various bumps in the road

other than that I LOVE THIS CAR
Old 11-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Re: 10000 mile checkup

Originally posted by miner
Monday I am taking my TSX in for the 10000 mile checkup. I wil have them look at the following:
1) click by A-pillar/windshield
2) door rattles (not only caused by bass in music)
3) grinding drivers seat
4) alignment issues
5) 2nd gear (6MT) nothiness

I will post results after I pick up the car.
Miner, Please update us with what happens. I will be taking my car to the same dealer "John Eagle" in a couple of weeks for my 5000 miles service. I have a couple of rattles and a driver seat that moves back and forth slightly with hard turns or braking.

Quick Reply: could my windshield be lose?