Continuous noise after bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Continuous noise after bumps

Hey guys,
Today i noticed a problem while driving down the road. Everytime i hit a bump that's larger than a tiny one (like a gap in the road where the pavement meets) with both rear wheels at the same time, there will be a noise that sounds like it's coming from the trunk. The noise sounds like a few washers rattling loose together, or even like a symbol in a drum set. The sound is moderate and continuous for at least a few seconds. Then it all of the sudden stops. It doesn't fade in or fade out. It's either on or off.

Anyone else have this problem before? Any ideas?

I'm thinking it's the DVD in the nav. But that's the closest thing i can come to. Car is stock except for a progress RSB and an oem bodykit.

I dont know anything inside the dvd player that would cause it, but it's my only guess.

Any suggestions? Wierd thing is, it doesn't really happen when i run over a small bump with one rear wheel. It has to be both rear wheels and a moderate gap in the road.

Thakns in advance!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License plate? Try slamming your trunk and see if it makes the same noise.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
License plate? Try slamming your trunk and see if it makes the same noise.
Nope, happened again while puling out of the gas station today.
I tried the trunk thing and it wasn't it. It's a much quicker frequency sound that's like a continuous vibration. Except there isn't any. Only the sound of one.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:38 PM
TF500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is it's the RSB bushes that need greasing.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tf500
That's what I'm thinking as well. I have the Comptech RSB and polyurethane bushings and they creak/squeak like CRAZY right now. Mind you, only when its cold like it is right now (-10*C / 10*F). Although, my creak is more of a creak and not a symbal / metallic sound like the OP describes.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by tf500
Originally Posted by curls
That's what I'm thinking as well. I have the Comptech RSB and polyurethane bushings and they creak/squeak like CRAZY right now. Mind you, only when its cold like it is right now (-10*C / 10*F). Although, my creak is more of a creak and not a symbal / metallic sound like the OP describes.
That's what i thought at first. But i KNOW what a RSB sounds like that needs greasing. That sound will only happen when you run over a bump and the suspension is physically traveling up or down. But in my case, the sound keep happening even when i'm 3-4 seconds past the bump. The RSB sound is an instantaneous sound that stops right away. but this sound persists and doesn't seem to slow down or speed up. Its either there or it's not. It's REALLY wierd.

I previously had the rear "creaking" noise that was there before. I keep meaning to go and do the fix that was recommend here on AZ but i haven't had the chance. That noise seems to be gone though. Maybe it got slightly warmer here? But now this sound is happening.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:46 PM

Hrmmm...

Have someone travel w/ you w/ the split-folding seat down. See if they can pinpoint the noise. Check the spare-tire area for a loose tool or something there that might be making the noise. Check the trunk torsion bars and the rear strut tower crossmember (there's a few threads here about that making a buzzing noise and it turns out it was a bad spot weld which required re-welding or simple DIY MacGyver shimming to fix).

I think pinpointing top/bottom/left/right/below car... would help you greatly.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:07 AM
Drifting

OK! FINALLY! Tonight while driving down a twisty road the noise came back. It's starting to come back much more frequently now. I rolled down the windows and voila! The screeching noise was coming from the outside of the car. It sounded like it was coming from the drivers side rear wheel. I got out after i arrived at my destination and then did a quick sweep underneath. The swaybar was still intact and so were all of the obvious nuts and bolts. However... i thought of the brakes. But it didn't sound like a wear indicator because the sound wasn't consistent with my braking. Then it hit me... what if it was something stuck between the rotor and the pad? Like a rock or something? So i logged on to AZ and sure enough a thread right above this one that had been bumped up. People experiencing the exact same problem. Now... with that said.

How do i fix this? Is this something the dealer would fix under warranty? this hasn't happened to me in the cars i've owned before. Do i need to get new pads and rotors? There's still plenty of pad left on these. Although i do have to go in for my front rotors since there's braking vibration.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Do you see any scoring on the rotor-in-question? If not, then you shouldn't need new rotors at all. If you have changed pads before, its not hard to remove the current pads, clean them w/ brake cleaner (and everything else in that area), check them for tiny pebbles, and then reinstall them. Might as well lube the sliders while you're there. Heck, do a full-blown slider lube job on the car if you're so inclined - it's not a bad thing!

Have you checked that its not something caught in the dust shield instead of between pad and rotor? Would be even easier to fix.

btw, when you have the pads off, check their condition and if they're questionable, please do yourself a favour and post pics and/or change them right away -- better safe than sorry.