chip/scratch on door

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005 | 04:57 PM
Top notch 6MT

Question chip/scratch on door

Five weeks after delivery, first chip/scratch found.

While it's definitely not the worst chip/scratch/dent I've had on any of my cars, still not a happy thing to report on.

I love my TSX so much, I hope to be able to fix up this little eyesore (I've never bothered to on my other cars), thus I hope to get some advise here on how to deal with it.

It looks to me that the chip/scratch is not too bad, quite small really (not very noticible until the camera flash came on), and there's NO dent (that's good I guess). In similar threads, I've heard things like wash, polish, wax, etc. One dumb question that I never bother to ask is that what is the difference between polish and wax? And I've heard the term "cut polish" before, what is that?

Here are pix of my little "damage" on the left rear door (pardon the dust on my car).
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:10 PM
Top notch 6MT

Com'on... no one has any input? Did I put this thread in the wrong category?

Old 03-25-2005 | 12:13 AM
Drifting

Well, don't feel too bad. After 3 weeks of ownership, I backed up into a concrete wall. Like you, no dent, but scratches. The stuff I used was touch-up paint and clear coat. Plus I used Lanka.
Old 03-26-2005 | 01:28 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by PACman
Well, don't feel too bad. After 3 weeks of ownership, I backed up into a concrete wall. Like you, no dent, but scratches. The stuff I used was touch-up paint and clear coat. Plus I used Lanka.
Thanks... at least I didn't do the damage myself

Well, I ain't feeling bad... honestly it hasn't bothered me too much, especially when the car is really so fun to drive. When driving it, little tiny paint chip is easily forgotten.

So you think I need to use touch-up paint to cover it up first (after washing, of course).

Amm... what is clear coat? It that same as polish? same as wax?

Also, what is Lanka?
Old 03-28-2005 | 10:37 AM
Instructor

Not lanka...

Langka

I used it on a BAD chip on my hood. Came out pretty nice.
Old 03-28-2005 | 12:51 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Kighter
Not lanka...

Langka

I used it on a BAD chip on my hood. Came out pretty nice.
Thanks!! I think I know how to fix that tiny scratch now.

Is the Langka stuff really not sold in any store?? Would be nice if I could just go to a local Crappy Tire and pick up the kit...
Old 03-28-2005 | 02:26 PM
Instructor

No idea, I never looked in a store. All I bought was the blob stuff. I didn't buy the "kit" cuz I don't need a paintbrush and the "primer" and "sealer" stuff is a little bit hogwash if you ask me. And I'd stay away from the "Clearcoat Repair kit" too. Wet sand system indeed. There's better ways to do that same thing.

But the blob stuff and the card works pretty well. You can still see where the chip was but it's passable, and certainly cheaper then having the car painted.

BTW I used THIS to clean and prep my chip before putting in paint.
Old 03-28-2005 | 02:43 PM
Top notch 6MT

No idea, I never looked in a store. All I bought was the blob stuff. I didn't buy the "kit" cuz I don't need a paintbrush and the "primer" and "sealer" stuff is a little bit hogwash if you ask me. And I'd stay away from the "Clearcoat Repair kit" too. Wet sand system indeed. There's better ways to do that same thing.

But the blob stuff and the card works pretty well. You can still see where the chip was but it's passable, and certainly cheaper then having the car painted.

BTW I used THIS to clean and prep my chip before putting in paint.
Thanks again! I'll do some hunting around locally and a bit more research. The Langka kit looks good enough for me (as a noob when it comes to wash/detail/paint-fix) for now.
Old 04-01-2005 | 04:49 PM
Top notch 6MT

Ouch, again!

Today I was just checking my tires pressure all around... As I walked around the front, I spotted a chip (with a very slight dent) on my hood Now I recall a flying stone (quite small, maybe like a pinky nail) knocking on my hood few days ago when I was on a short stretch of highway... damn, it chips this easily?!?

Guess I will be ordering my Langka even sooner now!!

Question about the fixing procedure though. Langka's site says to let the touch-up paint dry for up to couple of days (especially Honda paint). What happens if rain gets on to the car after puting on the touch-up paint?

I plan to apply the touch-up paint in the evening after all the driving's done for the day, but what if it rains the next day or two?

Should I wait until the forecost has like at least 3 dry days in a row first?
Old 04-02-2005 | 04:52 PM
Intermediate

Langka smells like gasoline. It works for some people; others find that it takes too much of the touch-up paint off & doesn't help at all. Mothers sells a Langka-like product. You may be able to find it at a local Pep Boys store.

The old-fashioned way of repairing paint chips is to use to use a toothpick and apply a thin layer of touch-up paint on your chips. The idea is not to "blob" the touch-up paint on your car, but to layer it. If you follow-up with wet sanding, a polishing compound, & some wax, it should look pretty good.

I've kind of given up on repairing paint chips. Once you repair one, another one pops up. For my next car, I think a ClearBra would be a "must-have".

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2005 | 11:32 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by chuck04
Langka smells like gasoline. It works for some people; others find that it takes too much of the touch-up paint off & doesn't help at all. Mothers sells a Langka-like product. You may be able to find it at a local Pep Boys store.

The old-fashioned way of repairing paint chips is to use to use a toothpick and apply a thin layer of touch-up paint on your chips. The idea is not to "blob" the touch-up paint on your car, but to layer it. If you follow-up with wet sanding, a polishing compound, & some wax, it should look pretty good.

I've kind of given up on repairing paint chips. Once you repair one, another one pops up. For my next car, I think a ClearBra would be a "must-have".

Good luck!
Thanks for your input chuck04. Before seeing your post, I was at a local Canadian Tire (like a diversed hardware chain) looking through the automotive care products they carry. I spotted some Mothers products but didn't see any Langka-like stuff. Maybe I'll check with some other more automotive-focused stores in my 'hood later.

I am not totally obsessed with fixing these, but I'll probably give Langka or something similar a try to see how it turns out. Heck, no one else has noticed the chip so far... guess it's not that bad
Old 04-04-2005 | 11:51 AM
Racer

wheres the best place to get touch up paint, the dealer, or one of those paint pens?
Old 04-04-2005 | 11:53 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Elephantman_nosefacehead
wheres the best place to get touch up paint, the dealer, or one of those paint pens?
My guess is from the dealer, that's where I plan to go and get mine.

Other input please?
Old 04-04-2005 | 12:55 PM
Instructor

I used a layer process to apply my paint. I used the Griot's applicators and put a tiny amount in the chip. Waited a day then did it again - cleaning thoroughly between each step. Then I used Langka to "level" the blob down to hood height. All you can see is a very minor border. Looks almost like etching from a water drop. It's a chemical substitute for the process chuck04 described - sanding scared me to death.

There is a tiny mismatch on the touch up paint compared to factory paint - being that it's metallic, but it looks far better than a rust hole.
Old 04-04-2005 | 01:05 PM
Top notch 6MT

I used a layer process to apply my paint. I used the Griot's applicators and put a tiny amount in the chip. Waited a day then did it again - cleaning thoroughly between each step. Then I used Langka to "level" the blob down to hood height. All you can see is a very minor border. Looks almost like etching from a water drop. It's a chemical substitute for the process chuck04 described - sanding scared me to death.

There is a tiny mismatch on the touch up paint compared to factory paint - being that it's metallic, but it looks far better than a rust hole.
Yeah... I didn't even read into what wet sanding involves because the name already sounds scary enough to me to run away from it
So I just hope to be able to get Langka (or good substitute) from a local store and use the Acura touch-up paint to fix it as much as I could.

About rust hole... can these chips really get rusted?? I mean, is it that easy to chip the paint and get to the metal already? I always thought the silver metal looking layer underneath the paint (where paint chips reveal them) is not yet the unprotected metal panel of the car body... please enlighten me.
Old 04-05-2005 | 12:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Elephantman_nosefacehead
My Acura dealer charged too much for a touch up pen, that didn't contain much paint. I got my touch up paint online from an independent dealer, purchased a size comparable to a nail polish bottle. I entered by color code found on the bottom of the B Pillar when you open the driver's door. The color match wasn't exact, but it was close. I think it's hard to perfectly match the original factory placed paint. I have CG. After working on my numerous chips, none of my friends could tell there were any.

BTW, I did purchase clear coat, which goes ontop of the touch up paint. It's suppose to give added protection. Plus it gives it a glossy look where as the touch up paint is dull.
Old 04-08-2005 | 02:14 PM
Race Director

i too have this nasty deep scratch, like dzuys new one, well before he got it fixed from being hit "at lunch", someone hit me when parked, and left. Its about .25 wide, 4 inches long, goes to the black part, and i have a small chip on the hood, which looks rusted, cause its orange, which i just noticed.

very small, and i dont think itll spread cause the paintchip didnt worsen, even during a car wash , but its $$ out of my pocket now....

Old 04-08-2005 | 02:27 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
i too have this nasty deep scratch, like dzuys new one, well before he got it fixed from being hit "at lunch", someone hit me when parked, and left. Its about .25 wide, 4 inches long, goes to the black part, and i have a small chip on the hood, which looks rusted, cause its orange, which i just noticed.

very small, and i dont think itll spread cause the paintchip didnt worsen, even during a car wash , but its $$ out of my pocket now....

Oh man, I feel for you...

Your scratch is much bigger than mine on the door...

As for my hood chip, I haven't seen any orange even after some heavy rain in past days... either way, I definitely will cover it up with touch-up paint... if I got too blob then will order Langka to refine it.

Any idea/advise as to what to use and how to clean up, prep the area before applying touch-up paint?
Old 04-19-2005 | 01:15 PM
Top notch 6MT

Wink Hood chip touched-up

Update: paint chip on my hood is touched-up!

No Langka or blob remover used, just touch-up paint from Acura applied very very carefully. It's actually the first time I applied touch-up to any car... I think I did a pretty good job. Mrs. 05_TSX_GP was worried I would screw it up, but she too approves to the fix I did

It doesn't look as it was when brand new but at least there's no shiny silver metal spot standing out on the hood now. And I feel better parking with nose point out again
Old 04-20-2005 | 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Now put a little "Clear Coat" and it should look a lot better......
Old 04-22-2005 | 12:26 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Now put a little "Clear Coat" and it should look a lot better......
Thanks for the tip

Though I think I need to apply some more touch-up on the chip as it actually is also a bit of the dent, so looks like it needs another layer to level out now that the first application has dried and shrunk.