Check Engine and VSA Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine and VSA Light

I was taking my car out tonight to pick up some dinner and kind of pushed it on a right turn. Nothing too hard, just a quick turn. Next thing I know I see the "VSA", the "!", and check engine light are turned on. I pull over and shut down the engine, waited a couple of minutes and restarted the car. I see that the "VSA" and "!" are off but the check engine light is still on. The car seems to still run fine at this point, so I drive to the restaurant. After picking up the food, I start the car again and the check engine light is still on. By this time, I start to get worried, but I need to get home. On the way home, I stop by a store to pick up something and when I start the car for the final time the check engine light is off.

Now, I've searched and read a couple of posts with similar situations, but didn't get a real clear explanation on what could have caused this. So I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this or found out what the cause of the check engine light is. My dealer's service department is closed on Sundays, so it may have to wait until Monday before I can take it in. But if its nothing serious, then I may just wait until I take it in for an oil change for them to look into it. Any info would is appreciated. TIA!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:28 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Have not experienced it, but the check engine light can ONLY come on from being out of deviance with emissions. My guess is that the VSA pulled spark from the engine and the unburned fuel caused a temporary emissions issue.

The "Check Engine" light is the single worst named item in a modern car - worse then "glove box". By federal law, it is emissions-related only. Many things which SHOULD cause you to check your engine do not trigger your light, and some things which do trigger the light are really not a big deal.

I believe the scan tool should pull the trouble code...
Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the light is out right now a code scanner may not be able to detect anything. If the light was just "on" and not flashing and is now out, its probably nothing to worry about. As said above it is emissions related, a misfire detect for a certain time period at a given RPM range could cause this, pushing the car with low octane fuel could cause a code, as could a very full tank of fuel. The VSA light will come on if you push the car when you have poor traction, but it flashes as it is being used and should go out as long as you didn't push the VSA button(perhaps you did by accident?). Or it could have been a glitch, computers do make errors sometimes..... If you were running high RPM's some car's alternators reduce voltage when they see high RPM's(some even have clutches that will disengage them, though I don't think this is the case with the TSX) and seeing low voltage for a short period of time can cause computers to act weird for a second.

In short if nothing else like this happens, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Instructor

I appreciate the input Elduderino and Tireguy.

Like you said Tireguy, I'm not going to worry about it (unless it happens again of course). I'm due for an oil change soon anyways, so I'll just have the dealer check it out when I go in.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had the VSA and "!" light go up on me, but not combined with the CEL.

After restarting the car it was gone, and no error code was ever recoded on the ECU about it.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:50 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

Ok i know this is an old thread, but it describes exactly what happened to me today in my 06 6MT. took left a turn fast (with a full tank of gas) and I got 2 messages on the MFD- "check emissions" and "check VSA" the car was still running fine, so at the next light, i turned off the car and restarted- the VSA warning went away. when i got home, i checked the gas cap, and the check emissions was still there. a few minutes later, i started the car again, and the check emissions was gone, and hasn't come on since. Has anyone else had this issue and is this something i should be worried about?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lone Starr
Ok i know this is an old thread, but it describes exactly what happened to me today in my 06 6MT. took left a turn fast (with a full tank of gas) and I got 2 messages on the MFD- "check emissions" and "check VSA" the car was still running fine, so at the next light, i turned off the car and restarted- the VSA warning went away. when i got home, i checked the gas cap, and the check emissions was still there. a few minutes later, i started the car again, and the check emissions was gone, and hasn't come on since. Has anyone else had this issue and is this something i should be worried about?
i got this this morning and i was going to a meet too
same situation as you but i have yet to check if my cel goes out

actually when i pulled over when the light came on my car was idling really weird so i guess its not the same
Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
'06 TSX 6MT

happened again last week (this time on a right turn with an empty tank) so i brought the car in to the dealer this morning. Has anyone else had this issue again, and did you find out what caused it? I suspect i'll get a "not reproducible" from the service tech again unless i can point them in the right direction...
Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was having a similar problem with my AT 06 a few months ago. I had both Check Emmisions systems and VSA lights coming on. I reset the codes and it would only be good for a few hours untill the lights came back on.

So I took it to the dealer and after about 3 days they determined that my V-TEC oil control solenoid needed to be replaced, havent had any problems since.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 PM
ridiculously good looking

what was the resolution for this problem? i just experienced the same thing that the OP did, and im at 78k miles
Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Check engine VSA “!”

Okay, so I’ve had this same problem with the check engine light with the VSA & “!”. About two months ago those lights came on & my car would not start. I got it towed. They replaced my cylinoid, timing chaining as well as my water pump & a new belt. Today, same lights came on after work & I drove it home, didn’t really feel like it wanted to accelerate. I got home & turned my car off, waited a couple minutes, turned it back on & it will not start. My car is an O5 Acura TSX
Old 07-24-2020, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Johnny76
I was taking my car out tonight to pick up some dinner and kind of pushed it on a right turn. Nothing too hard, just a quick turn. Next thing I know I see the "VSA", the "!", and check engine light are turned on. I pull over and shut down the engine, waited a couple of minutes and restarted the car. I see that the "VSA" and "!" are off but the check engine light is still on. The car seems to still run fine at this point, so I drive to the restaurant. After picking up the food, I start the car again and the check engine light is still on. By this time, I start to get worried, but I need to get home. On the way home, I stop by a store to pick up something and when I start the car for the final time the check engine light is off.

Now, I've searched and read a couple of posts with similar situations, but didn't get a real clear explanation on what could have caused this. So I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this or found out what the cause of the check engine light is. My dealer's service department is closed on Sundays, so it may have to wait until Monday before I can take it in. But if its nothing serious, then I may just wait until I take it in for an oil change for them to look into it. Any info would is appreciated. TIA!
I'm having the same issue except my light didnt go off and the oil light flashes I shut the car off and everything but the check engine light went away i am definitely due for an oil change but cant get in for one for a few days