Check charging system but battery tests good

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check charging system but battery tests good

TSX '07 114k miles. My "check charging system" light came while driving on the freeway in rain. I quickly found the nearest parking lot and called AAA for a battery check and waited with the the car idling with heater and headlights on for about 30 minutes until AAA showed up. Battery cable connections were fine/strong and showed no signs of corrosion.

Battery tested good: 12.77 V. Measured 533 CCA. Rated 500 CCA.
Starter test: 11.21 V with 1.03 seconds.
Charging system: No Load 14.070 V Loaded 14.230 V

I got back on the road and drove home in the rain with headlights and wipers on and the "check charging system disappeared then came back on as well as "check airbag system." The headlights never dimmed and the car never stuttered in bumper to bumper gridlock on the way home so I don't know what's going on.

I decided to go to Pep Boys to have them test the battery about 90 minutes since the AAA test. Pep Boys battery also tests good:

12.88 V Measured 519 CCA. Rated 515 CCA
Charging system: No Load 14.30 V Loaded 14.02 V
OK for Idle No Load, Rev No Load, Idle Under Load, Rev Under Load

The mechanic says the battery and alternator are fine. I also know the battery would have surely drained on the hour plus night drive home from the AAA test with headlights and windshield wipers on.

I get home with "check charging system" message still on and also noticed the Navi screen intermittingly turning off while driving home from Pep Boys. I get home and disconnect the battery cables and use a wire brush to get rid of any corrosion/deposits and reconnect the battery. I'm still getting the "Check charging system" message.

What should I check or do next? If it was a bad alternator wouldn't the batter have drained in on both these long rides home with windshield wipers and headlings running? Could rain/puddles be a culprit with a sensor?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:54 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Suggest monitoring battery voltage w/ a Equus Battery Monitor from Walmart, etc for $15. This may show erratic voltage (faulty alternator but intermittent, slipping harmonic balancer drive pulley (rubber damaged).

Something must be happening while driving that is not showing in the tests performed.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
DigiDrew818 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

None of the Wal-Marts/Autozones/Pepboys in my area sell the battery monitor. I took the car to Pep Boys again to test the battery again and stil get good readings. I'm driving from Los Angeles to Las Vegas today on a time deadline. My solution for now: bought an alternator at Pep Boys and borrowed serpentine belt tool from Autozone. I have the appropriate tools and will take everything with me. Hopeully I make it to Vegas without having to replace the alternator en route. I will not be using lights/radio/ac/heater/wiper as it's a nice day.... crossing fingers. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Try replacing the belt, maybe its stretched or glazed over and slipping when wet.

It could also be that the brushes are near their wear limit and working intermittently.

Be sure to have jumper cable with you.

Last edited by 01acls; 12-20-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 01acls
Try replacing the belt, maybe its stretched or glazed over and slipping when wet.

It could also be that the brushes are near their wear limit and working intermittently.

Be sure to have jumper cable with you.
Update: Drove from LA to Vegas just fine! Then yesterday, I drove from Vegas to Albuquerque also just fine. The Check Charging System light has been on the whole time, but I haven't experienced any lights dimming or lack of electrical power. It also shuffled through Check ABS/Check Brakes one time during the trip and twice I heard the rear speakers pop even though radio was off. I also used a multimeter to test all the fuses in cabin and under hood and all are good. The serpentine belt is also good and was replaced this last summer.

Any suggetions on what else to check before swapping alternator? Would I have been able to drive close to 1,000 miles in 2 days fine it the alternator was really bad? I still think the heavy rains have something to do with this... would fog lights wiring getting wet from puddle cause a Check Charging System error?
Old 12-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest monitoring battery voltage w/ a Equus Battery Monitor... Something must be happening while driving that is not showing in the tests performed.
good luck
I ordered the Equus 3721 on Amazon and tested the battery and alternator. Battery readings are in green zone 12.77 v. Equus reads 14.38 v for alternator while the car is running even with high beams/fogs/blower maxed out/radio on/seat warmers on. Yet the car still gives me Check Charging System warning. I've checked alternator and battery cables as well as fuses under hood and in the cabin. Anything else I should check?
Old 12-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I don't have a 2007 TSX, so this information is strictly a theory. I'm also just assuming your 2007 has the device I am about to describe.

The charging system status is derived from a "battery current sensor" mounted on the positive post of the battery. All current in or out of the battery is measured by this device. It also has sensors to measure battery temperature so that the charging rate can be optimized for the current temperature. The output of the sensor (the small connector and wires) is fed into the main ECU to manage the charging system and alert you of problems.

Try removing the small connector and re-seating it. If that doesn't help you may need a replacement sensor. Here is an image of a typical sensor, although yours won't look exactly the same.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Maybe you have a poor ground somewhere? - the reason I say that is because other lights come on randomly and you said you got some noise from speakers while the radio is off.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Curious did you ever get this figured out?
Old 01-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Cruisin'

2,500 miles plus later and I still haven't figured out what's going on. I'm guessing it's a short somewhere. The battery and alternator are still giving good readings. I haven't encountered any random flashing errors since that first weekend... just the consistent CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM. One fuse I didn't check was the ACG fuse, but I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

1/10/16 update:

I replaced the alternator and 100 Amp multiblock fuse and the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM light disappeared for the most part! However, it pops up for a split second if I hit a bump on the road or when the car is at idle. Once I'm above 1500 RPMs (road speed) it disappears. The Equus battery monitor also confirms voltage dropping below 13 amps at idle. If I shift to NEUTRAL from DRIVE while at idle though the volts jump back up to 14 amp range. I replaced the alternator myself and checked/tightened/cleaned connections and cables well. I also had to top off one of the battery cells with water. I'm gonna swap out the negative battery cable next.

What else should I check?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:48 AM
Drifting

The alternator, what brand did you replace it with?
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 AM
Drifting

New or remanufactured alternator? If it's a remanufactured alternator its defective., exchange it for another one.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Drifting

Battery voltage dropping below 13 volts at idle is OK if battery is fully charged.

Sounds like a loose connection or almost broken wire some where.

good luck
Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You say the Check Charging System light comes on during bumps in the road now... and TexasHonda says possible loose or broken wire. I would agree - loose connection (at battery, at ground, at alternator, or even at fuse block) could definitely be the problem.

I would test continuity of the ground cable, and clean the connection on both ends, and tighten snugly. Then re-check by driving bumpy roads.
If that doesn't help, ensure your battery tie-down is snug so the battery doesn't vibrate.
Also, ensure the clamps on the battery are tight. I have resorted to using a small 1/2" screw at the pinch-point of my positive battery clamp in order to provide more tension, and the threads provide grip so the clamp doesn't slip vertically and work its way loose.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

1/12/16 update:
I swapped out the negative battery cable yesterday at work during my lunch break. I did a quick drive and the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM flashed up once then disappeared. After work, I drove home in L.A. gridlock for 80 mins with the headlights on and the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM error NEVER came up. I did not have the radio or navi running for this drive.

I thought it was fixed bought on my morning drive to work CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM kept popping up intermittently about 50 minutes into my drive. I was not running my headlights then but did have my iphone charging in the cigarette adapter.

At lunch, I checked the grounds I could find (1 near window cleaner reservoir and 1 close by near a motor mount and the negative battery cable). All were fine. I started looking at the engine wire harness and noticed a bolt (part# 90028-RAA-003) missing on Stay E (32741-RAA-A00) of the engine harness just to the left of the under hood fuse box. None of my dealers keep the bolt in stock so I went to AutoZone and bought the closest size- 6mm x 16mm length. I've tightened the replacement bolt onto the harness stay and it's holding secure now. It was just resting on top with the bolt missing. We'll see how my drive home tonight goes.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I am having similar issues with my 2009 acura TL AWD 3.7.
First symptom was whining sound and check charging system came on. Got alternator replaced.
Next day check charging system comes on and shuts off only when I am coming to a stop. Almost like when the car is downshifting. Changed the belt and still happens.

I don't know what steps to take next. Did you figure out your problem? Thanks
Old 08-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by OhhNoVtec
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I am having similar issues with my 2009 acura TL AWD 3.7.
First symptom was whining sound and check charging system came on. Got alternator replaced.
Next day check charging system comes on and shuts off only when I am coming to a stop. Almost like when the car is downshifting. Changed the belt and still happens.

I don't know what steps to take next. Did you figure out your problem? Thanks
2010 TL 3.7. Same issue. Except my Check Charging System turned into a totally dead car this morning after pretty much all warnings going off. Was able to park, and 100% dead after shut down. What was your resolution?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:11 AM
Drifting

Suggest checking for a slipping harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. This can cause strange charging problems.

Look for wobbly pulley or slippage between outer pulley and inner rubber bushing.

good luck
Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest checking for a slipping harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. This can cause strange charging problems.

Look for wobbly pulley or slippage between outer pulley and inner rubber bushing.

good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. Harmonic balancer looked ok. Didn't note any slippage, plus the whining noise definitely sounded like alternator. Put in a new alternator today (that is a bear of a job on this car at my work's parking lot with hot sun beating down). Charged the battery a bit, jumped her, and no more lights on dash. With car running, it was testing out at just under 14 volts at the battery terminals. I'm hoping it's just due to the severely depleted battery, and will go up to 14+ from here.

I'm dead tired from the job, so didn't have a chance to go get the battery tested today. All seemed well on the drive back home though. Car is at home on a battery tender.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:04 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qualified Man
Thanks for the suggestion. Harmonic balancer looked ok. Didn't note any slippage, plus the whining noise definitely sounded like alternator. Put in a new alternator today (that is a bear of a job on this car at my work's parking lot with hot sun beating down). Charged the battery a bit, jumped her, and no more lights on dash. With car running, it was testing out at just under 14 volts at the battery terminals. I'm hoping it's just due to the severely depleted battery, and will go up to 14+ from here.

I'm dead tired from the job, so didn't have a chance to go get the battery tested today. All seemed well on the drive back home though. Car is at home on a battery tender.
What was the end result did this fix the problem? Having same issue with my RL