car stalls vsa light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation car stalls vsa light comes on

04 6 speed manual tsx 68k miles. After a long drive on the highway at normal highway speeds my check engine light as well as the vsa light and the vsa shut of indicator light all came on, the car starting running real rough and was almost compleately unresponsive to accelaration. i turned the car off restarted it and all but the check engine lights went out and was running normally again. this has happened twice now. also it seems when im cruising on the highway at normal 70mph highway speeds it seems that the there are brief stuters or stalls they are very small and almost hard to notice but something is not running right. Any ideas???
Old 06-20-2009, 01:52 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scan it for codes and repair accordingly. Done.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pknuts
also it seems when im cruising on the highway at normal 70mph highway speeds it seems that the there are brief stuters or stalls they are very small and almost hard to notice but something is not running right. Any ideas???
This description reminds me of when my O2 sensor was failing.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by nbtx
Scan it for codes and repair accordingly. Done.
+1

It's hard to tell what the problem is. You could try and test the voltage to your O2 sensors. It should fluctuate and not stay still.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Intermediate

I went to oreillys to use there computer to get a code and all the lwarnign lights went out on my way up there. I'll try the checking the o2 sensor. anyone no where it is mounted?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:36 PM
still plays with cars

There are one or more history codes stored in the ECM even though there is no check engine indicator lit. You must start there. There are two O2 sensors, one at each end of the catalytic convertor.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Intermediate

thanks for the tip im not off till teusday ill check it out then!!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

checked out the code and it came back as throtle posiotion sensor. On a cross refrence it was a little more spefic something that the app sensor 1 and the app sensor 2 did not agree for 4.5 % or less of one second. Anyway I changed the oil and vteched throught the first 4 gears up the street..and then back down the street(damn that was fun) and it seems to be running smooth as ever.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 AM
still plays with cars

I don't have a manual for the TSX yet because it's still under warrantee, but it sounds like for the TPS circuit there is a primary circuit and a secondary circuit which takes over when the primary craps out. The running check is for the ECM to continuously compare the two circuits for any discrepancies and set a CEL when one is detected. Those are the hoops the designers have to jump thru when replacing a simple throttle cable with fancy pants electronics. And the owner is stuck with an electronic throttle system with crappy response time. Just had to vent ...

FYI, your problem was intermittent and probably will happen again.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM
East Coast Crew

checked out the code and it came back as throtle posiotion sensor. On a cross refrence it was a little more spefic something that the app sensor 1 and the app sensor 2 did not agree for 4.5 % or less of one second. Anyway I changed the oil and vteched throught the first 4 gears up the street..and then back down the street(damn that was fun) and it seems to be running smooth as ever.
VTEC through gear 1 through 4? Damn, you must have been going 100+ down the street.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Repalaced filtttttthhhhhhhhy air filter problem solved...so far.
Yeah i let off right before 100 mph. My subdivsion street is not really the place for this kind of thing. Oh well it was like 3 in the morning so who cares

I am anticapating much better gas mailage as well, when i make my 140 round trip to 4 times to work I will check the milage. I have been getting 29 so maybe i can bump it up over 30, hopefully 33+.

Last edited by pknuts; 07-08-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
ridiculously good looking

pknuts, do you have any updates on this? i am experiencing the same issue
Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tsx 2 nv
pknuts, do you have any updates on this? i am experiencing the same issue
Are you fixing the problem or are you just fixing things around the problem. I have the same issue. But What he forgot to mention is when you are traveling on the hwy @ 70 & the computer cuts your throttle. Its extremley dangerous. But not as dangerous as when you need to take a left turn in front of oncomming traffic and you stomp on the gas and the traction control cuts all but 10 horse power to your wheels to take the turn.. It feels like your car is trying kill you by cutting the throttle @ a critical moment..

Honda & everybody else that uses it....
Drive by wire is a bad idea.

Im taking the car in to a mechanic tommorow morning. Since the the thread starter has abandonded this thread, I will let you guys know what the prognosios is.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by CJ Majesty
Are you fixing the problem or are you just fixing things around the problem. I have the same issue. But What he forgot to mention is when you are traveling on the hwy @ 70 & the computer cuts your throttle. Its extremley dangerous. But not as dangerous as when you need to take a left turn in front of oncomming traffic and you stomp on the gas and the traction control cuts all but 10 horse power to your wheels to take the turn.. It feels like your car is trying kill you by cutting the throttle @ a critical moment..

Honda & everybody else that uses it....
Drive by wire is a bad idea.

Im taking the car in to a mechanic tommorow morning. Since the the thread starter has abandonded this thread, I will let you guys know what the prognosios is.
ive actually recently fixed the problem. I purchased a new APP sensor, and installed it myself. It took about 10 minutes. I just hope the sensor doesnt give out again after 70k miles. good luck CJ Majesty.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Cruisin'

2004 TSX 6sp. 65k. Exact same thing as described happened to me yesterday. I had been noticing on the freeway it felt like there was a timing issue or slight misfire -- something wasn't as smooth as it once was. I swore there was a shudder or something coming from the drive train. The car has always been jerky but I've just been told it's the DBW (bad excuse). I was planning to take it into the dealer the next week for service and was going to bring it up. Anyways, on the way home the check engine light, !, and VSA lights came on. Car started bucking and I couldn't seem to get any acceleration/power. Seemed like there was a serious disconnect between the gas pedal the engine's response. Long story short, had it towed to the dealer and b/c of the holiday weekend said they won't get it until next week. I'm glad I got the extended warranty. The tow truck driver said he has never towed an Acura before! I've had a ton of problems with this car. Doubt I will buy an Acura again. Here's the list:

- A/C compressor blew up (literally)
- warped brake rotors
- power door lock actuator failure
- HVAC light display on dash went out
- Squeaking blower fan from dash (only sometimes)
Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
10th Gear

So does any one have a follow up? I thought it was the gas cap and the sensitive vacuum system our cars run on for fuel. Glad to know that unfortunately Im not the only one w/ concerns about this
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM

did you try a new APP sensor?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

I was never made aware of the APP Sensor by the dealer, but it was suggested it could be my gas cap so that's why I went that way, you know the easiest possible fix first. Since the CEL was never on when at dealer they never checked codes and since it happens intermittently no one seemed worried. But after having the problem recur again, I will be replacing APP Sensor ASAP.

Does anyone know how long CEL codes are stored?

I did a check in the TL forum and found that a lot of higher mileage TL's were having similar issue. All the symptoms are similar - loss of acceleration, VSA/CEL lights go on, car will shut off at low rpm, engine vibrates, etc. This should be made a sticky, a lot of people probably have similar issues but are steered in a different direction.

Thanks to everyone's know how and great advice!

Last edited by Work Hard; 05-26-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: mis-spelled words
Old 05-27-2010, 07:51 AM
still plays with cars

Older GM vehicles store history codes for 255 ignition switch cycles, but I don't know about Honda - probably something similar although memory gets cheaper by the day.

What's the APP sensor?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Intermediate

Hey there. Have not logged on in a while, sorry guys. The fixed ended up being a "speed sensor". Had it fixed at the dealer. I think it is some kind of relay form the acceleration pedal. When i ran the diagnostic from the local auto parts store the code came back app (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor. There was a number attached to it but i don't remember what it was. Not sure why the old sensor went bad but it is a frustrating issue. It eventually got so bad on my tsx that a was barely able to get to the dealer.

Anyway just put new rotors pads and tires on all 4's and I have a vibration in the wheel and all through the car. It's really subtle but i am wondering what the heck is going on now. It does not ride as any where near as smooth as it used it to.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear

So did you fix the tsx ?

Was the issue the app sensor or was it the rely to the speed sensor ? Confused here lol

Hey there. Have not logged on in a while, sorry guys. The fixed ended up being a "speed sensor". Had it fixed at the dealer. I think it is some kind of relay form the acceleration pedal. When i ran the diagnostic from the local auto parts store the code came back app (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor. There was a number attached to it but i don't remember what it was. Not sure why the old sensor went bad but it is a frustrating issue. It eventually got so bad on my tsx that a was barely able to get to the dealer.
Anyway just put new rotors pads and tires on all 4's and I have a vibration in the wheel and all through the car. It's really subtle but i am wondering what the heck is going on now. It does not ride as any where near as smooth as it used it to.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

Old thread I know

Originally Posted by tsx 2 nv
ive actually recently fixed the problem. I purchased a new APP sensor, and installed it myself. It took about 10 minutes. I just hope the sensor doesnt give out again after 70k miles. good luck CJ Majesty.

So am guessing this fix your tsx ?