Bad motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Bad motor mount?

I am getting vibration when my car comes to a rest or when the car is idling. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel, pedals, and somewhat on my seat/dash. As soon as I start to pick up speed the vibration is not noticeable.

When I put the car in park the vibration also disappears.

Do you guys think this is the motor mounts? Any way to tell if its the front or rear ones? Could it be the transmission mounts?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You'll have to take it into the shop to tell. Significant vibration, especially on an AT, is really common. Our wheel, seats, and dash all vibrate noticeably when in drive and stopped at a light or when the engine is still cold. It's the nature of AT cars. If you shift into Park or Neutral, or if you give it some gas, the vibration always goes away as the engine is at another rpm point. Either way, if it feels excessive, you should get it looked at.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do u have a engine torque damper? If yes, this would be another source to consider. If no, likelt engines mounts. Have them checked if any has failed as excessive vibration would normally mean at least one has....especially after 3 years...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Cruisin'

i dont have an engine torque damper installed. when i listen closely, i also notice a clunking sound when going over some small bumps. pretty sure its not the suspension as it sounds like its coming from the engine bay. i suspect its the jumping of the engine when i go over the bumps and the mounts not being able to dampen the movement.

i have made an appt to get it checked out tomorrow. if it is the mounts, it will be covered under warranty. will report back with what the issue was.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Racer

Another thing besides the engine mounts, have all your under bolts and nuts re-tightened as a check. I tend to find loosen nuts with the added on bars for stiffening purposes of the under carriage with all the usage.

Also just check around the engine bay, especially if there was previous work done before. Someone could have just dropped a damn bolt/nut/screwdriver etc and this clunking sound. Could also be resting on the bottom engine covers.

If u have some one with u, get the person to rev the engine up and u watch if your engine is free flexing too much. AT 4500rpm (cut-off when stationery to minimise VTEC solenoids from activating - safety feature), the engine should not move much i.e 5mm. If it is flexing too much, likely engine mounts.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

i dropped off the car this morning to the dealer so i will wait and see what they say.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

got my car back from the dealer, the knocking noise was a separate issue. it was coming from the radiator. they retightened it and added insulation (foam padding between radiator and frame) i guess it was hitting the frame. the noise is gone.

they said the vibration i am feeling is normal and was comparable (they said even better) than another 05 tsx with less km's.

when i got my car back, i did rev the engine while in park and noticed that the engine did not have much play. just the normal amount of movement.

maybe the mounts are fine and the vibration i am feeling is normal as Jottle previously posted.

any other ways i could check? or other symptoms of a bad motor mount?

thanks again for your help guys!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
10th Gear

i have the same problem as you minus the rattling of the engine.....i'm taking the car in next week and i will lose it if they say that's normal.....i driven many I-4 cars and none of them had vibrations like that so there is no way that is the cause.....i did not by a 40K (CDN) 07 tsx AT so that i can not hold my hands on the wheel when iddle....that is just a BS explanation if you ask me....there has to be something wrong.....mine's got only 20K km on it and it shakes really bad at this point...what can I expect at 100K? i mean come on!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of fuel are you using and have used all its life? I would put some BG44K in the fuel tank and clean out the fuel system and see if it helps with the vibrations. Maybe your fuel injectors are gummed up or fouled up? BG44K is expensive at about $18 a pop but well worth it.

If you want something cheaper get Redline's SI1 from Pepboys. Runs around $10 a pop and works well too just not as good as BG44K.

Difference between SI1 and BG44k is that SI1 is supposed to be used before every oil change while BG44k is supposed be used every 30000 miles or so.

Hope this helps.

Edit: If the above doesn't help get some Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) and put 1/2 a pint in the oil and 1/2 a pint in the gas tank(put the MMO in an empty tank and fill up to mix) I have heard it works well. Kinda like Seafoam but you can leave it in for an entire oil change interval unlike seafoam where you'd have to perform an oil change within 100 miles or so.

Last edited by chaiwala; 12-09-2009 at 07:52 PM.