5 trips, 3 repairs, $1,200 and the A/C is still blowing 90 degrees in the Texas Heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
ATX
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 trips, 3 repairs, $1,200 and the A/C is still blowing 90 degrees in the Texas Heat

My problem started back in February and over the course of 5 times to the dealer, 10 days in the shop, and over 10 hours on the phone/waiting/taking the car to the shop, it is STILL not fixed. I have lost my patience with this issue (no A/C and poor customer service from the dealer) and I need help. Here's the rundown...

2004 TSX 6 speed manual with 107,000 miles when the problem started. Always taken in for regular scheduled maintenance. Now has 113,000 miles on it 4 and a half months after the problem began.

Symptom: A/C stopped blowing cold air.

Feb 1 - "Severely Leaking discharge hose" for the A/C was replaced. System was drained and recharged. $566. AC tested and was blowing 36 degrees at the vent. Of course, at that time of year it was warm in Texas the week before (which is why the A/C was on) and then we had one of the coldest days of the year when I took it to be repaired.

Feb 18 - A/C not blowing cold and when idling, the RPMs would drop REALLY low when the AC kicked on so they drained and recharged the system. They found the compressor to be over-cycling, freon levels to be normal, completed deep vacuum to remove any moisture. "System normal. If problem persists will need to replace condenser and possibly compressor."

March 14 - Intermittently not blowing cold so the problem couldn't be diagnosed because it couldn't be recreated.

April 7th and 8th - Intermittently not blowing cold because the "A/C clutch and coil set burned up" and was replaced. $826, reduced to $600 when I complained.

April 15th - Intermittently not blowing cold but not taken in for repairs until May 27th because I was busy/out of town - Thermal Protector Set "intermittent fault", it was replaced. "A/C working to factory specification" "Goodwill gesture" so it didn't cost me anything for the repair. Acura tech line advised these repairs.

I picked my car up on June 3rd. By June 6th, the A/C had started blowing warm again but would still get down to the 40s when the A/C was on low. Now, by June 11th, the A/C blows between 65 and 105 (it's Texas and it's hot outside these days).

I need help. Please someone educated me to A/C units and how they work. Do these repairs sound plausible? What else could cause this problem? A broken compressor? A leak in the system?

How much does it typically cost to replace the whole thing? The car is going back in tomorrow and I wanted advice.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:01 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insist your "dealer" refer you to a local shop that specializes in A/C repair. It sounds like your Feb 1 repair was the start of the rest of the problems. A second opinion on that repair should be sought. After the Feb 1 "repair" your dealer was just applying bandaids.

good luck ...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
To me it seems that the dealer has completely misdiagnosed the problem. They have apparently tried to fix it, but thus far have not done so.

I can see the point of the above poster regarding wanting to go elsewhere for another opinion, but since the dealer has taken a good sum of money from you to fix the problem, I would stay on them until they do. And naturally, the cost of any additional repairs should not be your responsibility, (at the worst, if something major needs replacement, they should credit you the cost of what you have paid toward it.)

Their failure to properly diagnose the problem is their fault, not yours. They owe you a fully functioning AC system. I would not go elsewhere without that -- or a refund.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 06-12-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:46 PM
still plays with cars

Correct, the dealer has misdiagnosed the problem(s) after the original Feb 1 repair.
However, the dealer owes the OP a fair and equitable solution to the problem, AND since they have not been able to do so, my recommendation is for the OP to insist the dealer farm the repair out to a local reputable shop that specializes in AC work - on their dime of course.

Which TX dealer is this?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Same problem... I've been going about 4 months with no AC and now its summer time in South Caroline (I feel your pain).

I purchased all my parts from www dot discount compressor dot com (no spaces) and had it all replaced at an AC shop, cost about 500 for parts, and 300 for labor, new compressor + clutch, drier, condenser, and accumulator.

I did everything because Honda couldn't tell me exactly what it was so they recommended it all, at their priced they wanted $2200. I bought the parts and had a shop do it.

Good luck man, get it solved.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 PM
ATX
4th Gear

I questioned the diagnosis and was told that the first two repairs (discharge hose and clutch/coil set) were necessary and the Acura tech line advised the third repair (thermal protector). I have no way of proving any of those repairs were misdiagnosed. I was told "your car is old and old components break down" and that I have a "mistrust of the dealer" because the very first time I took it in I asked to see the hose they replaced. Now that it has gone out again after 3 separate repairs, I feel like my case of a misdiagnosis is getting stronger. Unfortunately, I can't get any of my time or money back for the inconvenience and now it's summer so even looking at my black car with black interior and a thermometer reading 90+ makes me sweat.

Can anyone explain to me how the A/C works? I was told there was power to the clutch and coil but it wasn't grounded properly so it wasn't kicking on. What does that mean and how can it burn up if its not on? Does a leaking discharge hose cause strain on the compressor and if so, would that cause the clutch and coil to burn up? What does the thermal protector do and how does it relate to the other two repairs?

Does anyone have any advice besides calling acura customer care?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

From what I speculate...

The clutch to the compressor is belt driven by the engine, when the clutch engages it spins the compressor, which *ding *ding compresses the fluid (freon). As far as power goes, I'm not too sure, it is a mechanical device and thats all I know. I'm sure some type of power is necessary to send a signal when to engage and disengage the clutch mechanism.

I can go into cooling heating cycle, but it won't do you any good.

I've never heard of a thermal protector before, it might be a thermal fuse which is typically on the blower motor (atleast for a CRV). I changed one on my wifes CRV, cost 42.00 at the parts counter and 10 minutes to change. I can tell you how if this is indeed your problem.

Good luck
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM
ATX
4th Gear

I was just told that the compressor is getting material in the lines and the condenser, compressor, and one of the lines needs to be replaced. Does this make sense?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

well, its possible assuming that the compressor is indeed contaminating other parts with something damaging.

Honda/Acura is always going to recommend you also change your accumulator, dryer, Compressor + clutch assembly as one unit, and possibly the condenser in a situation like ours.

You can get the parts way cheaper from www dot discountcompressor dot com.

they have a set with everything I mentioned for about $465.30 (click below, price drops once in cart)

http://www.discountcompressor.com/ac...-80504_RK.html

I know some people on AZ have recommended that site to me, I ordered my stuff a few days ago, plan on having Honda do the actual labor for hopefully less than $200 otherwise I will attempt it. Don't forget to add the $120 recharge.

So all in all, if you do the labor yourself you can end up with around $2k in work for less than $700.

Good luck with everything.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Please let us know who this dealer/service dept is so others in the area can avoid their incompetencies.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by miner
Please let us know who this dealer/service dept is so others in the area can avoid their incompetencies.
I've already asked that question TWICE and got no response. I give up trying to help.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Burning Brakes

All of my issues have been with Cale Yarborough Honda, Florence SC and McDaniels Acura of Columbia SC.

Recently, we've started taking our CRV and TSX to Florence Toyota. Night and Day I tell you. Disgusting how nice and friendly they are, I didn't want to dump $800 into my wifes CRV in repairs, so they gave us 15% off. Honda/Acura never offered anything like that to me.

I think my next car might have to be a toyota...not sure what I want from them though.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose Muscles
All of my issues have been with Cale Yarborough Honda, Florence SC and McDaniels Acura of Columbia SC.

Recently, we've started taking our CRV and TSX to Florence Toyota. Night and Day I tell you. Disgusting how nice and friendly they are, I didn't want to dump $800 into my wifes CRV in repairs, so they gave us 15% off. Honda/Acura never offered anything like that to me.

I think my next car might have to be a toyota...not sure what I want from them though.
Sounds like the acura dealer I try to take my tsx for service. It is Lehigh Valley Acura in Emmaus, Pa. They are very nice, do not overcharge or try to sell unneeded service. I plan to have my car serviced when I am in the area next month. I can not longer open the glove box so the service manager wants to look at it and figure out what should be done.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
nj2pa2nc:

What is written on the road sign in your profile picture?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:02 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
nj2pa2nc:

Montana
Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
nj2pa2nc:

Montana on our way to Seattle WA
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM
still plays with cars

Any update here?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM
East Coast Crew

Not sure if I can be of any help since I don't know anything about ACs but can you check to see if the AC pipes, to the left of the motor, is cold? If so, then it should be compressing fine.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Just got the invoice number from discountcompressor dot com for a new compressor, exp valve, drier/accumulator, o-rings, and ac oil. Total was $375 (give or take) with a year warranty on all parts.

Once I get back from my honeymoon I will change everything except the exp valve (I heard its a pain) and have honda recharge the system. Wish me luck, I'll get back to you all with similar issues and maybe make a DIY as well for youtube.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check those relays. the clutch relay is an easily overlooked item that will yeild uneeded repairs. yes these do go bad,FAST!!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eg5
check those relays. the clutch relay is an easily overlooked item that will yeild uneeded repairs. yes these do go bad,FAST!!
do you know off hand which relay that is? (ie where its located, or a part number for replacement?)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
under the hood fuse box. look for a picture of a snowflake.
try searching on here for a fuse box component location pic.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Because Of You

My AC was acting up too. When it was hot, the AC ran for 10 minutes and shut down. I had to turn off the AC for about 15 minutes before the AC started working again.

I took my car to one mechanic. He said that my car got to be running low on freon. So, I took my car to another mechanic. He said it got to be the compressor. So, I talked to yet another mechanic. This one said it got to be the expansion valve. Finally, I took my car to the forth mechanic. He replaced the AC relay inside the fuse box. That was it.

The AC is working perfectly again! No problem for weeks.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Intermittent problem = relay

Happened 3 times on my 04.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone know any good DIY walkthroughs for changing the expansion valve. I think the compressor and drier will be pretty straight forward. The expansion valve I haven't even seen and have no clue where it is even located...

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
5th Gear

have your checked your cabin filter
Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 PM
2nd Gear

Have you been able to fix this issue? My AC climate control stops works intermittently.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by eugene_acura_tsx_2004
Have you been able to fix this issue? My AC climate control stops works intermittently.
Climate control system has self-diagnostics that may help. You will need a shop manual to extract the codes. Suggest automanualsource.com for a download manual. I've used them and they are very good.

Usually best to start your own thread.

good luck