06 TSX Utility Bi Removal/Console teardown?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006 | 09:06 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

06 TSX Utility Bi Removal/Console teardown?

Does anyone know how to take apart the center Console in the '06 TSX? An specifically, how to remove the bin under the radio?

I'm going to be installing a Sirius Starmate/Streamer Replay this weekend, and I want a clean install - all the wires running in the center console, drill a small hole in the bin and in the compartment under the radio, fish the wires through, and voila...

I'll be sure to post full, step by step pics for others to use...(both here and siriusbackstage.com).

Is there anywhere to download this info? Or possibly a manual to pick up at like advance auto parts or something? Anyone? Bueller? McFly?
Old 05-01-2006 | 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ronin317
Does anyone know how to take apart the center Console in the '06 TSX? An specifically, how to remove the bin under the radio?
Remove the rubber mat in that box.
You will see 2 holes on the bottom front.
Stick something in them to act like handles and just pull (I used a disposable chopstick broken into 2)
Old 05-01-2006 | 09:24 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
Remove the rubber mat in that box.
You will see 2 holes on the bottom front.
Stick something in them to act like handles and just pull (I used a disposable chopstick broken into 2)
Word. I'll try that. Now if I can get that console/armrest out to drill a small hole to run some wires along the floor...

this is going to look SLICK. I got the Streamer GTR en route, and it's black and silver - matches my ebony interior perfectly...Right now I have my old sportster sitting in my cupholder - it's just not the right shape to fit anywhere.

XM SUCKS...
Old 05-02-2006 | 11:05 AM
Instructor

http://community.webshots.com/album/482100858sQavkT

that's a very helpful gallery dealing w/removal of the center console. It is for an '04 or '05, but I think the directions are the same.

Someone who has done an '06 said that the clips are much harder to pull on the '06 for some reason (don't remember why), so be careful. It was elduderino that did an install on the '06, you can probably search for topics started by him to find it.

Good luck to you, and please take lots of pics + notes! I'll be installing an amp in my '06 either this weekend or the next, and I am curious to see how easy/hard it will be to remove that center console.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by defjukie
http://community.webshots.com/album/482100858sQavkT
that's a very helpful gallery dealing w/removal of the center console. It is for an '04 or '05, but I think the directions are the same.
yeah I bookmarked that page.
But that guy must have octopus fingers with them suction cups and superhuman strength.
have a looky here:
http://andylee.us/gallery/console
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:35 PM
Drifting

Post pics when you're done. That sounds like it's going to be a really clean install.
Old 05-02-2006 | 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

I'm doing an installation tomorrow night - the Harman Kardon Drive + Play into my 2006 TSX (1 week old). We wrestled for a while the other night with the center console...eventually got the clip by the drivers's side heated seat switch up.....hoping tomorrow we get it all. I'll take some pictures.
Old 05-03-2006 | 12:06 AM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
yeah I bookmarked that page.
But that guy must have octopus fingers with them suction cups and superhuman strength.
have a looky here:
http://andylee.us/gallery/console
i did it with my fingers - you just have to find the right pressure points and be gentle. i also had the cupholder cover open and used it a leverage to get the back out
Old 05-03-2006 | 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

I attempted to remove my console a while ago with no luck.

The 'back end of pliers' method managed to pop 1 of the back 2 clips, but no manner of pulling would get me the other one, and I couldn't get it up.

I tried pulling up from the front with both my hands and a screwdriver, and all i managed to do was scratch my not-an-ashtray a little bit.

I'm quite frustrated with it and still want to get that thing out. I tried for 2 days with no success, but I gotta give it another go one of these days. Soon.
Old 05-03-2006 | 11:10 AM
Instructor

Reach,

you working with an '06?

if so, that's a little discouraging...
Old 05-03-2006 | 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

sadly yes. dwiller's post above gives me hope that it will come out without having to source it out to a shop or something stupid like that. Really I just need to take another crack at it, with another friend.
Old 05-03-2006 | 01:49 PM
6th Gear

console instructions

Here's a link with instructions for the accessories. Just use the one for the Cass/Media. It shows how to take that all apart.

Instruction link
Old 05-03-2006 | 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

We've all seen this doc before. (Direct link: https://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merch...attachment.pdf) But the problem is it doesn't give a good idea of how to remove the panel by hand (its says gently lift up, yeah right), and those of us who have tried to have found it difficult to do. The exploded diagram is very useful to see where the clips are though.
Old 05-04-2006 | 02:21 AM
Cruisin'

Well, we did it. It was not easy. The full installation of the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play took about 5 hours. Keep in mind, we are television people, not professional installers. But it is a very clean installlation that we may improve a little this weekend.

It was hard to get the center console out. The handle of the pliers trick worked for us....I think we got about 3 clips that way. The two in the back (closest to the arm rest) and then we used the handle of the pliers in the gap by the E-brake, facing towards the front to get another clip in the middle.

When we tried this briefly last Sunday, we used a flat-head screw driver covered in electrical tape (to prevent scratching) and inserted it just to the left of the driver's seat heater and pried up a bit - this was able to release a clip. This was very nerve racking. So we left that one undone for we picked up with the project today. Be very careful if you try this.

So after the plier trick and combined with the clip by the driver's seat heater, we had about 4 clips undone. The passenger side was tougher....we just kept pulling and pulling and had faith in the plastic and that it wouldn't break. I was very nervous, as I just got my car 1 week ago. Finally it gave.

Everything else pretty much comes out easily...the front storage pocket, the not an ashtray.

I will be putting a web page together with my pictures soon. If I can figure out how to post here, I'll do that too.
Old 05-04-2006 | 09:07 AM
Banned

Sorry , didn't have a chance to post this earlier.
I pulled up off the front clips quite easily like this:

Use a sturdy long plastic cable tie,
with the thin end, prob the left/right corners for gap(s) on the other side to push the cable tie thru, that's your handle there.

and yes, I still have the panel out - waiting for things and time
Old 05-04-2006 | 09:23 AM
Banned

another tip: The rear clips are tough one to pop. With the "plier hande" trick, make sure the inserted end of the handle is rested on the end of that clip you're trying to pop.

Like this:

Obviously whatever you inserted to pry that one should better be not too rounded and is rubberized.
Old 05-04-2006 | 10:51 AM
Instructor

appreciate the feedback, dwiller.

nice to hear you got everything installed as you were hoping.

now, it's my turn.
Old 05-04-2006 | 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

great feedback dwiller, and amazing pics 'h'uckleberry! Worth a thousand posts on this topic

With renewed gusto, I'll probably try this again this weekend.
Old 05-04-2006 | 09:55 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Alright...I decided I was bored when I got home from work and did the install earlier this evening. Here's how it went. This is an '06 AT non-navi. I'd assume the navi would be the same...MT too, but don't quote me on that.

Allow me to apologize for the pic quality in advance, as these are very rushed, not up to my usual quality (i'm pretty much a pro photographer...). most of the time it was one handed, fixed focus, and with the shitty flash on the rebel xt, as my batteries for the shoe flash were dead...

This is a Sirius Streamer GTR - essentially the Starmate Replay with a black and silver housing. Same size, same software, same remote. I used a Home kit stand to hold the unit in the storage bin, ordered from www.tss-radio.com. They friggin ROCK. I ordered saturday morning, it was at my house monday morning, with standard priority shipping! And the price was right...

I replaced a Sportster Replay that was just too big to do what I wanted. I wanted a clean install that looked stock...

Here we go!

The antenna was put on the back dash, as shown here.
Name:  exteriorbackdash.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  69.8 KB

I put a piece of velcro on the bottom and stuck it to the carpet on the dash. Then I ran and Tucked the Wire as shown.
Name:  interiorbackdash.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  165.5 KB

I then ran and tucked the wire between the seat and door jam, and subsequently uner the trim along the door, then under the backseat (under the tracks) and then tucked it under the lip of the center console along the floor...
Name:  backseat2.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  201.3 KB

I removed the bin under the radio, and set it aside (also removed the rubber mat in the bin).
Name:  emptycavity.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  63.2 KB

Then I removed the panel on the frontmost part of the center console on the passenger side, tucking the antenna wire all along and then putting it right in the gap between the support bracket and floor.
Name:  antennathroughpasshole.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  73.3 KB

Reach inside the dash, and grab the wire and pull it up. BE CAREFUL - some of the pieces in there are pretty sharp!
Name:  antennathroughcavity.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  89.8 KB

Bundle up the excess wire (leaving enough to go into the bin and the sirius...) with a zip tie.
Name:  ziptiedantennacord.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  87.7 KB

Okay, now the hard part - what to do about running the wires from the armrest storage bin? Well, I emptied the bin, lifted the rubber mat in the bottom, and the idea hit me...run it where the wires for the outlet and aux in are! However, this proved to be MUCH harder than I wanted. I had a rough time trying to get the console top to pop out as some have outlined above, and I didn't want to force it.

Time to get creative. So here's what I did. I removed the plate that houses the outlet and aux input.
Name:  interiorarmrestscrew.jpg
Views: 7442
Size:  82.0 KB
Name:  interiorarmrestdisassemble.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  127.8 KB

I took the aux wire and the power cord, and ran them into the hole, reached inside with a Trim/Dash tool (from pro-fit international, pictured below), and pushed the connectors out from under the compartment between the driver's seat and the center console.
Name:  profitdashtool.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  40.3 KB
Name:  interiorarmrestwireinstall.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  81.2 KB
Name:  driverwirefromconsole.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  78.9 KB

As with the passenger side, I tucked it, and slid it between the dash support bracket and the floor, and reached inside and pulled the wires up.
Name:  driversidewirehole.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  141.4 KB

I took a break, and then busted out the drill and dremel. First, I cut a small hole in the bottom of the storage bin, in the back left corner. Then I took the housing from the armrest power and aux ports, and cut a small notch in the side, as shown. I smoothed it out and polished it...as best I could at the time. if I had more daylight and time, I could have done it better.
Name:  rearnotchdetail.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  64.6 KB
Name:  frontnotchdetail.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  59.6 KB

I used a few zipties to secure the cables in the hole, and to bundle them, then reconnected the aux/power ports, ran the cables in the notch, and replaced the plate that holds the ports, snapping it into place. I then replaced the screw, put the mat down, and plugged them in!
Name:  interiorarmrestfinished.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  83.4 KB

Next, I went back to the dash, and bundled my cables up with more ties, and made sure I had enough length to go into the bin.
Name:  wiredetail.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  66.9 KB

Next, I took the Streamer stand, and put some velcro on the bottom. I had thought about screwing it in place, but decided against it for now.
Name:  streamerstanddetail.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  63.9 KB

I then ran the wires into the bin as shown...
Name:  binbottomwithhole.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  100.4 KB

And put the bin back in place.
Name:  binbackinwithwires.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  116.8 KB

Then all that was left was to tuck wires (all zip tied up for organization), plug in the unit, velcro it in place...
Name:  finishedzoomout.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  95.2 KB

And FIRE IT UP!
Name:  finishedsiriuson.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  112.4 KB

All closed up...
Name:  finishedclosed.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  81.2 KB

So in the end, I have no wires exposed, it fits in the stock bin, and is still removable for when I feel like bringing it in the house.

I'm going to get a night pic of it all lit up shortly...

Any questions...let me know!
Old 05-04-2006 | 10:21 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Here's a shot of the finished install...

Name:  finishedinstall.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  98.7 KB

and here it is at night.

Name:  litupatnite.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  71.6 KB

Perfect! Just what I wanted it to look like. Only took about 2 hours...
Old 05-04-2006 | 10:42 PM
Cruisin'

Nice pics Ronin and Huckleberry.

Here is a link to my installation.

http://web.mac.com/davewiller/iWeb/iPod/iPodTSX.html

Dave
Old 05-04-2006 | 11:13 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Very nice Dave. I'm glad the console popped for you with ease...Not for me. Although, I worked around it, so fuck it. Good Work!
Old 06-15-2006 | 08:29 PM
I meant to type in Lohms!

I did a very similiar install to Ronin today in my '06. I installed the starmate in the same location and ran the wires to the AUX and Power outlet in the center armrest the same way. However I mounted the antenna on the passanger side dash corner and ran the wire down the side and tucked under the rubber molding on the door jam - then under the carpet to the center bin console. I also did not drill a hole in the center bin, I just removed the useless light from the top of the bin and the hole was a perfect size. I then secured the unit using the suction cup mount to provide support behind, and used some 3M double sided tape to secure the bottom of the bracket that the actual Starmate attaches to. I used this method in my prior car (03 Nissan Altima) and it was very secure and didn't move at all. I will take some pics tomorrow and post. I'm very happy with the install and can't wait to have Sirius back in my car. It took only 2 hours total.