04 Navigation Reader Stopped Working!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:09 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Navigation Reader Stopped Working!

Hey guys, I have a pretty big problem. Over the last 2 weeks when i start my car in the morning, i get an error message saying "cannot read the dvd disc". but after about 5 minutes of driving it would fix itself and the navigation would work fine the rest of the day. But the problem gradually got worse and now the navi wont work at all. i put a new dvd disc into the drive to troubleshoot, and it wont read the new disc either.

i can hear the drive spin up, shut off, spin up, shut off, trying to read the disc. i think its just broken. the car has 157K miles on it. so the dealer quoted a new dvd drive at 4000 dollars, which is insane.

do you guy know what i can do here? can i get a tsx dvd drive from a junkyard or ebay or something? i still technically dont even know what the problem is, so i aint spending 4000 bucks on something that might not even fix it anyway.

the A/C, radio, cd screen all still worked, until today when i completely disconneted the drive from the wiring harness. that somehow reset everything and i now have ZERO functionality from any of the functions on the navi screen. i cant even use A/C other than the auto function. so please i hope someone can direct me what to do.

i plan to write a letter to acura to ask them for assistance, since i am out of warranty and do not have 4000 dollars to spend on a "maybe this will fix it" item. thanks guys.

RP
Old 08-26-2007, 04:50 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

hmm no takers. well here's my next question. i found this link on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...spagenameZWDVW

this is the dvd drive only from a 2007 acura TL type s. it has the traffic option, hands free, compatilbe with acura/honda touch screen, etc. part number
39540 SEP A510 M1. and the connectors on the back look like they match my unit. anyone think this is compatible and simple plug and play? it would be nice if i could gain the xm functionality, etc. but will my screen always boot up with acura tl instead of tsx? will this even work? its the only listing for an acura dvd drive only. all the others are for the entire navi system...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I heard the 06 TSX's navi system is the same one from the MDX (and TL?). It's cheaper to design one unit and have several models share it, rather than have to design a unit for each model line. I don't want to say outright that it'll work, but if the plugs are the same, it most likely will. The DVD drive is the one that does all the processing...the monitor in the dashboard just outputs the data it's sent from the dvd drive. It's like replacing a computer (and re-using your CRT monitor).

I wonder if there's an electrical manual or something floating out there in the internet that could answer your question...
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

well i have an o4 tsx, and i think the 06 tsx/mdx are slightly different. but that might be better cause i will have a more updated navi.

however i dont know if i want my navi to always read "acura mdx" on bootup when i am driving a tsx. but i guess i cant be picky if it comes down to that.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the exact same prob with my 04" tsx the dealer replaced my drive under warranty. good luck the best thing is to replace the drive
Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
DO NOT INTERCHANGE MODEL's!!! the firmware on the TL loads a different file off the disk, this would be the TL file without the HVAC controls, trip computer and other items.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

thanks for the info about not interchanging models. however i was gonna interchange years. i'm gonna get a 2006 tsx dvd drive and put it into a 2004 tsx w/ navi. is that ok? the guy i'm buying it from is currently using it in a non-2006 navi and working fine. please advise me...
Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 PM
4th Gear

my navigation unit stopped reading also

I recently had the same problem. my display screen tells me to please check my disc. so I did but still nothing. I went ahead and unplug the unit and now my climate control doesn't work as well as all the touch screen features. Before I take it to the dealer I would like to know if anyone have an answer or suggestion. It sucks being unable to control the fan speed on my climate control and some other features. help?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:38 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Yeah you did the same thing as me. By unplugging the drive now it can't load the climate controls screen. First i would turn the key forward then go in the trunk and listen to hear if the drive is spinning up the disk. And also see if the cooling fan is spinning. If not then you prob need to replace the drive. How many miles and how old is the drive? Mine was out of warranty so i bought a newer 06 dvd drive online and replaced it myself. Worked great and now i have updated maps and menus!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
4th Gear

no fan kicking on

I did what you've said, the drive ran for a second but stopped and no fan coming on. So is it really appxoximately 4k for the drive?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 PM
4th Gear

fan doesn't kick on

I did what you've said. Drive spun for a quick sec., The display tells me it's downloading but then suggest I check my disc. The fan did not come so I guess I may be scrooed. I have 53k miles on my car and I think I just went over my warranty. So is it really appromittly 4 grand to replace just the unit in the trunk?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

well it sounds like the drive crapped out. yes the drive is 4k from the dealer. but since you are so close to warranty i would raise hell and call acura client services and complain that this should not be breaking at this mileage, and you certainly should not be responsible for a bill of this caliber. my transmission went out at about 100k, and i still complained to acura client services. i was very nice and asked them what they can do for me. they dropped the new tranny price from 4500 to 1500 for me. try to do the same with the navi.

i got my 06 dvd drive from an ebay seller for under 1000. if you search around ebay then email them direct and talk to them on the phone, you should be able to get a similar deal. it was basically a hotswap. but i did encounter some issues since i went with a newer year drive. if you get an older drive it should be no problem. i think there was a guy in texas selling some 04 drives. check ebay my friend and call acura too!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 PM
4th Gear

Thanx roger

I'll see what I can work out with the client service people.