04 A/C Compressor - How to tell if I just need a new compressor or an entire system

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 A/C Compressor - How to tell if I just need a new compressor or an entire system

I have an 04 with 120k miles. Today the car started making a humming noise from the engine compartment when accelerating for a few seconds and then there was a burnt rubber smell. The A/C stopped working at the same time. So I assume the clutch on the compressor is bad (compressor is not coming on when A/C is turned on), but how do I tell if all I need to replace is the compressor? I don't mind replacing it myself, but how do I know if the compressor has expelled debris into the rest of the system? If the whole system needs replaced I don't want to put the money into it. I can replace the compressor and filter myself but dont want to do the condensor, evaportator, and lines.

I have read a lot about exploding compressors, and it seems like mine just gave up.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Rubber burning was probably serpentine belt slipping on clutch pulley.

Open system and remove receiver/drier. Inspect for debris in the receiver/drier by draining stored oil and examining. If no oil flows out, I would suggest removing bottom of receiver/drier w/ grinder to examine contents. You can also flush condensor and look for debris. Parallel flow condensor may "hide" debris.

The compressors are scroll compressors and can fail suddenly. I had this happen on a Subaru and it was a structural failure of the rotor. However there are close tolerances beteen rotor and stator which may cause debris if parts start wobbling for some reason.

New condensor and receiver/drier are essential. If lot's of debris, evaporator should be replaced also. Complete flusing of hoses/lines.

good luck
Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool AC compressor and what else

Hi

I have the exact same problem. When my AC acted up I shut it down and unplugged the control cable to the compressor. I've had the R134 removed and captured and measured the quantity of PAG oil that came out with the freon. So far the oil looks clean. Next I'm going to remove the hoses to the compressor and see if there is any contaminated oil or metal bits. I may remove the receiver dryer to check for contamination that it might have caught. Then I'll decide what parts to replace. Hopefully if everything looks good I will change only the compressor and receiver dryer along with new O-rings. Also I have found you can get filter screens to help protect the new compressor if there is any junk I missed. Your lucky your in the US as parts are readily available. I moved to Spain and brought my TSX, so I'll have to order and hope I get good parts. Any recommendations where to buy the compressor?
I have a couple of places lined up. It seems prices are any where from $168 to over $400.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You could go for a used compressor. Try ebay and car-parts.com. Some will ship overseas these days.

good luck