Totaled 04 SSM TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Totaled 04 SSM TSX

Well guys....unfortunatly this isnt the type of pics I want to send. I just bought my BRAND NEW wheels that were put on Friday night about 7 and here is the aftermath of my wreck today. To put into perspective of the scenario, I am in the turn lane and the lady driving this red F150 truck veers out of her lane and hits me going about 40 head on. Here are the pics..... I also have found out by the Police report that it is considered her fault...but the has NO insurance!

Here is a pic of her truck:

Now if we have any lawyers here I do know that my insurance will pay for it but.......after dealing with this should I see damages in small claims court? Medical Bills, time off work, etc...?
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:08 PM
I spend 2 much time here

sorry to hear and see that man.
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Holy

Hopefully your OK?
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:15 PM
HOWARD911S

dear god. nevermind the TSX, how are you? are you ok? glad you took picture and is able to come online share with us!!! I seee TSX took quite a hit and you are stil ok... happy that you are still around man.......

so are u selling ur rims now? and what car u getting next? hope u got full coverage
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:18 PM
send me a link to JDM??

damn man... you must feel lucky. Sucks about the car though
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:22 PM
HOWARD911S

ok legal issue

1) Did your health insurance or your medical insurance from ur vehicle insurance policy cover your bill? if they covered it,, then there really is nothing to sue for medical bill if your insurance took care of it

2) Time off work, yes you can sue for that, and that depend on the amount you want to sue, in CA< small claims court is if you want to sue under $5000 us dollars, if you want over that you have to go to civil court.

3) Some people have sued through their insurance company, ask your rep see if they will handle this for you, or they rather you seek independant attorney and feel free to call and get free consultations...

4) you can usually sue for time loss from work, physical therapy sessions, stress and daily pains, last time it happened to me, similar scale accident as yours, I got 3 new car worth of compensation out of it, so it is your call

5) most important, you said she has NO insurance? i meann you want to get what is righteously yours... but I suppose you also have to gauge the amount she can afford to pay so you can get something tangible rather than make her broke and you get nothing.............your call..hope this helps...
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:26 PM
Team Owner

JT, how did you come out of it? Hope you're OK. I see the airbags deployed.
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:28 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

did your driver side airbag go off? can't tell from the pics
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:30 PM
Banned

GOD DAYYYYYMN !

sorry very sorry !
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:33 PM
Banned

"and the lady driving this red F150 truck"

wish i could give you rep points for being so calm and polite.
I got another name for that "lady"
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:41 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

WOW!!! That's a horrific sight

Hope you're doing fine
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:42 PM
Quattro in.....

Sad to see this, hope you are ok.
Old 08-29-2005 | 02:46 PM
Hondaholic

Man, sorry to hear that Bro, one less sweet SSM.....

But the important thing is that you're all right.

Originally Posted by JT2k4TSX
......I am in the turn lane and the lady driving this red F150 truck veers out of her lane and hits me going about 40 head on.
From the looks of it, she veered WAY over; it looks like your right front took the hit, and it was her right front doing the hitting......that's like copmpletely crossing in front of you
Old 08-29-2005 | 03:10 PM
SI Drive

Man!

I hope you're ok! But down to business to help you out. Howard911 makes some really good points and I think you should listen to his advice. But first things first, check your insurance policy and see if you have uninsured/underinsured coverage.

If you do then it should be easier for you. In California (I don't know where you are), you need to prove that the driver was uninsured. Here, all you need to do is file a form to see whether or not the other party was insured. The DMV then replies back with in written format to verify whether or not the other party was insured at the time of the accident.

You then take this form to your own insurance company and show it to them as proof that the other driver was uninsured. When you do this (and if you have uninsured coverage), your own policy kicks in to pay for both your property damage and bodily injury claims (i.e. pain and suffering).

My suggestion would be to see a doctor first if you already haven't. You will have some pain and discomfort that may require some sort of weekly therapy for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

Next, see an attorney if you don't want to deal with the hassle of handling your own case. And by hassle I mean a lot of calls back and forth to your insurance company, etc.

After that would be replacing your car. If you are still financing (or leasing) your car, AHFC requires that you have full coverage on your vehicle until the finance (or lease term) is over. Therefore, you should have comprehensive and collision coverage under your car. Get your own insurance company to go out there and have them evaluate/appraise the damage to your car. To me it looks like a total loss, but I'm not an appraiser so I can't give you a definite answer.

By having your own insurance company do this, you will ensure that you get a payout for your car quicker so that you can look for your next car ASAP. You'll definitely want to get a couple of copies of the police report and provide them (your insurance co.) with a copy. Also, if you're concerned with your rates going up, they shouldn't as this was not your fault. Typically rates will go up only if you're at fault, or if they see that you've gotten into a couple of non-fault accidents and something smells fishy.

Lastly, ask your insurance company if you can remove the wheels, and any other aftermarket parts. I know that this is probably the last thing you want to think about, but sometimes you get an adjustment for having them, and sometimes you don't.

I'm glad that you came out of this safely, and I hope that you make a speedy recovery.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as I've handled similar cases like these before (in CA though).

-O
Old 08-29-2005 | 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

Hey guys thanks for all the replies and comments! First off I had a dislocated shoulder, VERY sore body and alot of burns.

Next the possible replacement for the TSX is as follows: 05-06 TSX, 04 TL, 04 G35 or 350z. I still want a nice 4 dr car, so it will most likely be the new TSX or the TL. I have found a TSX just like mine on Carmax so I might look into it.

I am going to let my insurance handle everything for right now. If I feel like they are doing me wrong then I will get a lawyer and go from there. Gah this is a nightmare and it hasnt even started.
Old 08-29-2005 | 03:47 PM
HOWARD911S

Hey guys thanks for all the replies and comments! First off I had a dislocated shoulder, VERY sore body and alot of burns.

Next the possible replacement for the TSX is as follows: 05-06 TSX, 04 TL, 04 G35 or 350z. I still want a nice 4 dr car, so it will most likely be the new TSX or the TL. I have found a TSX just like mine on Carmax so I might look into it.

I am going to let my insurance handle everything for right now. If I feel like they are doing me wrong then I will get a lawyer and go from there. Gah this is a nightmare and it hasnt even started.

dislocated shoulder, yuck. time for a 5 AT hahahaahah . if i were you.. life is too short to drive the same car twice.. especially life was ALMOST TOO short for you, but we glad you made it, dont get used ones... get a new one.. get TL or ever looked into the new Andi A4 2.0 T? those look sweet. more HP and more torque than TSX!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:09 PM
Instructor

Wow. Glad your ok - except for the shoulder.

All that damage from a 40mph hit? Makes me start wonder about how solidly built the TSX is...
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:21 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by weapon-x

All that damage from a 40mph hit? Makes me start wonder about how solidly built the TSX is...
dude... assuming they were both going 40 mph thats a mighty big hit. Much larger then 80mph if I remember my high school physics correctly. I'm happy he walked away. Car manufactures arn't supposed to worry about keeping the car intact... they are supposed to worry about the person inside it. (which I think Acura did in this case )
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

he was hit from a truck that was higher up than he was and most definatey alot heavier. iirc he was proably at a stand still. honeslty in some other car i dont think it would have fared the same way. he probably wouldnt have walked away from this let alone get on the computer to type... i acutually beleive these Acuras are made quite well when put in situations like these.... now for the nitpicky ones, id rather have little issues than have major issues when the car cant do its job properly in a situtation like this...

glad your okay dude, very very lucky
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:29 PM
Just dial 1911

People dont seem to understand that cars nowadays with crumple zones are SUPPOST to get demolished like that with this type of collision. The more energy the car absorbs, the less impact on the people inside.

Glad your ok and walked away from this. Must have been horrific...
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:29 PM
HOWARD911S

speaking of which dude, what the heck u online and typing with a dislocated shoulder? you want to rest and dont do any permanent injury to it now
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:34 PM
BDI
Banned

I'm happy to see that your injuries are minimal.

A 40mph hit is pretty bad. From the pictures the car held up well for a hit that hard. It could have been worse.
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joerockt
People dont seem to understand that cars nowadays with crumple zones are SUPPOST to get demolished like that with this type of collision. The more energy the car absorbs, the less impact on the people inside.

and, he was in a turn lane and the "lady" hit him head on doing 40mph. He didn't say he was stopped but I assume he was. Still, better the car take the hit than the driver.
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:14 PM
Drifting

What a shame Sorry to see that horrible sight. It makes me glad to see that after all that damage, you only have a sore shoulder and a few other minor injuries. Good Luck with everything and let us know what you replace her with.... *cough 06 TSX cough*
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Whoa man! That really sucks

I hope you heal fast and the pain goes too so that you can deal with business..
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:54 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

Damn, that sucks. I'm glad you're OK other than the shoulder. Hope everything goes well.
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:30 PM
Banned

.. Makes me start wonder about how solidly built the TSX is...
sell yours quick !
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:48 PM

When I saw those pics I thought the worst, but I'm glad to see that you came out of it well enough to be typing and sharing your story with us. Hope you recover quickly and smoothly. Does Honda make good cars or what? Look how undisturbed the passenger cabin is.

get well soon man
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:56 PM
Cruisin'

Oh guys...I have a pic of the cabin...and EVERYTHING is in place...with the exception of the glove compartment is a little bit jammed....but I think I will write a letter to the corporate offices of Acura and tell them how well built that car is with pics. I know that I am VERY VERY VERY lucky to be hit by a full size extended cab truck going 40+ and hitting me at a dead stand still. I am very very impressed that even though that car has alot of damage, everything in the cabin of the car is fine. I am truly blessed that I am sitting here now typing this even though I am sore as fuck!!
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:17 PM
Drifting

wow dude, glad to see you are doing ok, considering the dislocated shoulder. good luck with dealing with the insurance! it's going to be a headache so just be prepared!
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:24 PM
Banned

you're the guy that posted these nice
pics

so it going to be "totalled" right ?
Maybe you should get back there and start pulling teh body kit and mods and whatever you can pull off and sell them before the salvage gets it ?
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Hekurtsehu I am leaving the parts on it. As long as I provide receipts my insurance will add those in to the value of my vehicle. Well right now the car is worth $23,500 not including the wheels and OEM kit. The guy estimated the damage at being $14,500 as it sits on the tow lot. That is not including getting it up on the frame rack and looking at the frame, engine, mechanical things, etc. So to total this car the value has to be around $17,500. I am hoping they do ALL they can to total it or if they fix it, I will turn right around, trade it in and probably take a huge loss on it then end my policy with them and never do business with them again.

Also here is the possible replacement for the TSX:

04 TL, 28k miles, Grey, 6spd, $27,500

Old 08-29-2005 | 07:52 PM
Old fart

ouch!! Glad you're ok...for the most part.
Old 08-29-2005 | 08:00 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

GOOD GAWD!! wow, glad you're OK.

looks like the car took one for the owner. better that then the other way around. get back what you can, sue her ass if you must. stupid drivers w/o insurance deserved to be sued - and i'm not the suing type.
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:31 PM
Master in Science

Glad you are okay.
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:35 PM
Beware of leakage

That truly sucks Jason, but glad your relatively ok.
I know how much you loved that car too
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:51 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by Howard911s
speaking of which dude, what the heck u online and typing with a dislocated shoulder? you want to rest and dont do any permanent injury to it now
I am curious about your typing technique if you put a lot of shoulder into it. Is the keyboard over your head??
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:54 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Hey Hekurtsehu I am leaving the parts on it. As long as I provide receipts my insurance will add those in to the value of my vehicle. Well right now the car is worth $23,500 not including the wheels and OEM kit. The guy estimated the damage at being $14,500 as it sits on the tow lot. That is not including getting it up on the frame rack and looking at the frame, engine, mechanical things, etc. So to total this car the value has to be around $17,500. I am hoping they do ALL they can to total it or if they fix it, I will turn right around, trade it in and probably take a huge loss on it then end my policy with them and never do business with them again.
You want an insurance adjuster to see that car. There is no way it's only $14,500 with all that engine compartment involvment. The shop it was towed to just wants the business - he's probably salivating at a wrecked foreign luxury car. Accept nothing less than the insurance company totalling it.

My car was rear-ended and they managed to rack up $16,000+ in costs with NO mechanical damage and no airbag deployment. I can't believe you don't have any mechanical damage, and I wouldn't trust a body shop to fix it.

In the age of disposable cars that crumple beyond recognition after an accident, I can imagine that body shops really push to not have cars totalled.
Old 08-29-2005 | 10:15 PM
Pro

Wow, im glad your ok.
Makes me kinda think cuz i have a 04 SSM too.
Glad your ok and typing to us, get more rest.
Hope your issues following works out for you, its never easy to deal with.
Old 08-29-2005 | 11:27 PM
Pro

Major big time bummer!

First off, glad to hear you're OK. But keep in mind that your body was jerked all to hell in a very short period of time. To make the point clearer and not to freak you out, your shoulder will never be like it was. A dislocation once means you can more easily do it again along with other complications. I say this only to drive home the point that you should REALLY think about taking care of yourself with respect to future medical costs, pains, etc. In short, get yourself a shark and sue her butt off. No insurance is no excuse. She obviously didn't care enough about others to not fuck up their lives and get off scott free. I once got rear-ended, while standing still, by a Lincoln Mark III and the driver was drunk. I was Mr. Nice Guy and to this date I now know I didn't do myself nor any other possible future victims of that irresponsible driver any good. Protect your butt first - It wasn't your fault.

On the plus side I'd say from the pics the TSX met the challenge and did what it was supposed to do. That truck could have easily ended up in your lap. I was most impressed to see that the cabin, glass and doors look to be all intact. No small feat considering the angle and speed of the hit. Se died a noble death. And by the way, based on my past experience the car is waaaaaaayyyyyy totaled.

My advice is count your lucky stars, get all the $$$'s due you and go buy yourself another new, safe ride.

Oh, and go buy a lotto ticket. You're on a hot streak.

Quick Reply: Totaled 04 SSM TSX