LED License plate bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LED License plate bulb

I got bored so I decided to go to CDN tire and got LEDs for my license plate.

They are not as bright as the stock bulbs but they give off a crisp white light.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was it hard to install? I wanted to change mine...but never bother to figure out how to get to it.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff The Pianist
was it hard to install? I wanted to change mine...but never bother to figure out how to get to it.
It was my first time installing it and it only took me about 20 minutes.

I removed 4 plastic fasteners/screws inside the trunk to partially remove the carpet. Then you grab the plastic piece that holds the bulb by the sides and squeeze and remove. It's really easy.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so for these, was it easy to find a replacement? did they have one of their little books that shows u the part number or how did u do that.. .i'm def interested in changing mine too... i haven't made a CT trip in a while, maybe i'll bust out the big wad of CT money i have lying around to get these bad boys for free...
Old 06-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cibs
so for these, was it easy to find a replacement? did they have one of their little books that shows u the part number or how did u do that.. .i'm def interested in changing mine too... i haven't made a CT trip in a while, maybe i'll bust out the big wad of CT money i have lying around to get these bad boys for free...
They are simple 168/194 wedge type bulbs. We have an entire thread on the LEDs around the car.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Have camera, will travel

It's hard to tell the effect in the pic.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Advanced

I was curious about these also. I heard that Infiniti makes these standard on new models if i am not mistaken, but im not sure. Do you like the new LEDS? I saw where to get them off ebay and wondered if it is worth the troule.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

tec_toyz also has them. you can find them on ebay...just put that under the seller or put LED license plate for TSX. i have them on my car....i like them. makes the car have a luxrious look on the back instead of cheap "amber". he's also a nice guy if you contact him and say that you saw the posts from here...he would cut you a deal if you wanted LED's inside your car as well (i.e. dome lights, door lights)

i bought about 4 sets from him so he's legit (1 tsx set, 2 accords sets, 1 cbr600rr light)
Old 06-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Got mine from superbrightleds.com. The effect is subtle, but I take the pure white over that yellowish color of the OEM bulbs.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jaspillera
tec_toyz also has them. you can find them on ebay...just put that under the seller or put LED license plate for TSX. i have them on my car....i like them. makes the car have a luxrious look on the back instead of cheap "amber". he's also a nice guy if you contact him and say that you saw the posts from here...he would cut you a deal if you wanted LED's inside your car as well (i.e. dome lights, door lights)

i bought about 4 sets from him so he's legit (1 tsx set, 2 accords sets, 1 cbr600rr light)
Did he give you a good deal? I am about to buy mine..i didn't know he give discounts...

2 9LED Front Door Lights = $10.00
2 4LED Front Map Lights = $8.00
1 4LED Dome Light = $4.00
2 9LED License Plate Lights = $10.00
Shipping = $3.00
Total = $35.00

this is what he gave me
Old 06-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

that seems like a good deal. once you get them, and see how easy it is to install and see the end product. it'll be worth 35. people always stop me and ask about the plate lights since they are so bright on a silver tsx (i got white led's). makes ppl think u have an is250 or is350 since they come stock with white plate lights.

i am not exactly sure the specific #'s he gave me...cuz i bought 3 sets of led's for interior and exterior at one time.

the "discount" i meant, sorry...should have been clearer, was that you can pay him straight through paypal and not through ebay THEN paypal. that way he gets all funds and no ebay fees so he cuts off a little cash from the bill. that what i did with him and he paid for shipping as well. but i have bought a lot from him though...so mighta been a repeat customer discount.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:46 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellakameleon
I was curious about these also. I heard that Infiniti makes these standard on new models if i am not mistaken, but im not sure. Do you like the new LEDS? I saw where to get them off ebay and wondered if it is worth the troule.
old news...its not just infiniti. I seen on Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi and etc. I also wanted to get the new white led light but they are not bright enough for me.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can anyone please give me a complete specs for the interior lights, i want to change all the map, dome and the door lights, including the glove box lights to all white LEDs
Old 06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cibs
The LEDs I got is made by Euro-lite. If you go to CT, you'll see these lights locked up in a metal cage. LOL They're afraid of getting it stolen I guess. The bulb # is 194. (Same thing as 168 like Moda_way said). It's such a minor mod but it gets a lot of attention.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ellakameleon
Yes I do really like this mod. I just hated the color of stock bulbs so they had to go. These LEDs are not coming out anytime soon. Unless I find brighter LEDs.

I'll try to take a better picture tonight and post it.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Racer

How much was it from cdn tire?

You have the model # or pic of packaging?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Racer

Did he give you a good deal? I am about to buy mine..i didn't know he give discounts...

2 9LED Front Door Lights = $10.00
2 4LED Front Map Lights = $8.00
1 4LED Dome Light = $4.00
2 9LED License Plate Lights = $10.00
Shipping = $3.00
Total = $35.00

this is what he gave me

I did not know you guys like the LEDs. Actually, the following areas can be done

1. All doors, usually single LED but there is now 2 or 4 LEDs.
2. License plates and sometimes at night, the white light may not throw enough and hard to spot the plates.
3. The map reading light as well as the interior centre light. Usually a 6 LED for the centre interior but some residue current tends to keep it alight. Likely it is the capacitor that cuases the delay of lights going out after door is close.

If I knew, I would have bought more of these as easily can mail them to you guys. It will be cheaper than what i see above...
Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I always want to replace those ugly stock bulb for the! Good job.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think a night picture is needed.....even better if we can get comparison pictures.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had some of the blue 9LED's above my license plate and they broke twice. tec-toyz sent me replacements, but they broke again. so I switched back to stock. has anyone else had this trouble? I think it's from excessive rattling.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MTLer
How much was it from cdn tire?

You have the model # or pic of packaging?

Thanks

They're made by Euro-lite and I believe they were $11.99 for a pair. The model is 194.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro

Here is the night picture that I promised.

Sorry don't have a pic with the stock bulbs.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Pimpin' Euro

i use to have LED number plate lights. PIAA bulbs that can also be used on the parkers
after about 3-6 months the one of the bulb flickered and died. i have since replaced them with just BI Hybrid POLARG white parker lights. i dunno if its the LED or the car, ive been thru 3 packs of PIAA and 1 pack of RAYBRIG led whites now and they all seem to flicker and die after a while. the longevity is no where near as long as just normal bulbs

just a word of caution.
but yeah i agree it looks niiiiice at night.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by stephen8512
i use to have LED number plate lights. PIAA bulbs that can also be used on the parkers
after about 3-6 months the one of the bulb flickered and died. i have since replaced them with just BI Hybrid POLARG white parker lights. i dunno if its the LED or the car, ive been thru 3 packs of PIAA and 1 pack of RAYBRIG led whites now and they all seem to flicker and die after a while. the longevity is no where near as long as just normal bulbs

just a word of caution.
but yeah i agree it looks niiiiice at night.
Ya I'm aware of some LEDs failing prematurely. I don't open/close my trunk often so we'll see how long these things last.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSX7
Ya I'm aware of some LEDs failing prematurely. I don't open/close my trunk often so we'll see how long these things last.

The problems with LED is that they cannot be powered up for long periods. Newer ones have built in capacitors. It is only good for short time light up. License plates to side lights on headlights, will not last long.....
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s001y
The problems with LED is that they cannot be powered up for long periods.
wrong
Old 06-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
wrong

Well, it would have been helpful if you explained. LEDs are sensitive to current surges and when powered up too long, without resistor, they tend to blow.

In hot climate here, we experience this . Let's hear your explaination.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Suzuka Master

All, this thread describes everything you'll need to know about replacing LEDS: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7556

Also, I replaced my license plate bulbs with LEDs. My first set did go bad and I think it was vibration as well. I just put in a new set of LEDs from superbrightleds.com and the design is SOOO much better than that first design, so I'm hopeful.

Everything in my car, minus the turn signals and vanity miror lights are LEDs.

The glove box light is stupid to replace because it is useless anyway.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by moda_way
All, this thread describes everything you'll need to know about replacing LEDS: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7556

Also, I replaced my license plate bulbs with LEDs. My first set did go bad and I think it was vibration as well. I just put in a new set of LEDs from superbrightleds.com and the design is SOOO much better than that first design, so I'm hopeful.

aaar, we talking about different LED bulbs. The small ones that fit inside the doors, could be used for the CL1 side lights. They are build differently...
Old 06-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by s001y
aaar, we talking about different LED bulbs. The small ones that fit inside the doors, could be used for the CL1 side lights. They are build differently...

What am I missing here? Yes, the 194/168 bulbs have a lot of applications in the side markers, license plate, rear markers, and 1 of the rear brake lights (non-2 stage).
Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

EDIT***

What am I missing here? Yes, the 194/168 bulbs have a lot of applications. For instance in the side markers, license plate, rear markers, and 1 of the pair of rear brake lights (non-2 stage).[/QUOTE]
Old 06-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by moda_way

are the LEDs from superbrightleds.com better than tec_toys?

I only want to replace licence plate and all interior lights to white LEDs.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I haven't seen the ones from tec_toys, but I've been pretty happy with superbrightleds.com's stuff and have had them for about 2 years or more. I don't even remember what the OEM lights used to look like to be honest.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Pro

not sure what superbrightlights. com LEDs look like, but i got the ones from tec toys.......if you got the 9 LED ones, they dont fit very well.I had contacted him and he sent me a 6 LED bulb instead which fit much better....if you got the 9 LED, might wanna get in touch with him and ask him for the 6 LED bulb instead.....
Old 06-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hawaiiantsx
not sure what superbrightlights. com LEDs look like, but i got the ones from tec toys.......if you got the 9 LED ones, they dont fit very well.I had contacted him and he sent me a 6 LED bulb instead which fit much better....if you got the 9 LED, might wanna get in touch with him and ask him for the 6 LED bulb instead.....
are they bright enough?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Instructor

I would also recommend superbrightleds.com for replacement bulbs. I have replaced all of my interior bulbs, and rear dash brake bulb with LED's. No trouble yet and fast shipping.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Pro

are they bright enough?
depends how bright you really want them....to me they are....but they are not as bright as say the stock is350 lights
Old 06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

i like mine (got from tec_toyz)...i didn't want them too bright...just not the ugly stock color. plus who wants them too bright so that ppl can see your plate #'s from a mile away?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KBraggs
I would also recommend superbrightleds.com for replacement bulbs. I have replaced all of my interior bulbs, and rear dash brake bulb with LED's. No trouble yet and fast shipping.
Yeah, I forgot about that. I am always shocked at how quickly they arrive to me.

Did you do the larger style festoon for the interior domes? I've been contemplating those, eventhough my current LED domes are working fine.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hawaiiantsx
Did you put the 9LEDs in the interior or the license plates? Just wondering which blubs I should get with 9LEDs and which to get with 6LEDs.

Also looking for a comparison of tec_toyz and superbrightleds.com products.

Quick Reply: LED License plate bulb