View Poll Results: Who will actually purchase a Turbo Kit once released?
2004/2005 Manual Owners
40.91%
2004/2005 Auto Owners
36.36%
2006 Manual Owners
10.61%
2006 Auto Owners
12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Who would actually want a Turbo Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who would actually want a Turbo Kit?

Im gonna try this out for the TSX community even if it has been done already... we are growing in numbers and i think this could be a good time to start a Poll on who would really consider a turbo kit if made and released for our cars. I'll send emails to respectable turbo shops and i'll post any replys from them. Atleast they'll see who's really interested and who's not.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would want one, but i've been wondering if we want faster cars, why spend 4-7 thousand on makin it faster when we could used it to buy a faster car from the beginning? Maybe the TSX is more practical for everyday use but puttin a turbo or s/c is just a waste when we could have just went out and bought a different car for roughly the same price after buying a forced induction. BUt anyway yeah i'd want one depending on price.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by AirJordan23922
I would want one, but i've been wondering if we want faster cars, why spend 4-7 thousand on makin it faster when we could used it to buy a faster car from the beginning? Maybe the TSX is more practical for everyday use but puttin a turbo or s/c is just a waste when we could have just went out and bought a different car for roughly the same price after buying a forced induction. BUt anyway yeah i'd want one depending on price.
but you didnt vote...
Old 05-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You are not going to find any reputable company to make a turbo kit without any existing programmable engine management. No one is stupid enough to do that.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by JTso
You are not going to find any reputable company to make a turbo kit without any existing programmable engine management. No one is stupid enough to do that.
there is no real engine managment for the comptech supercharger either.. and with it you'll be able to have more tunability with it.. no one really complaining about that right.. the same could be done with a turbo kit. I remember reading that Greddy ( i believe ) said that if enough of us wanted a kit that they would make one like they did with the RSX-s..thats not a reputable company?? So anything is possiable..
Old 05-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Have camera, will travel

It sounds good on paper, but I don't think I'd actually do it, even if they addressed the problems Johnny mentioned above. I'm happy with the car as is.

Now, if the next gen TSX comes with a turbo, well...
Old 05-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
who really gives a fuck anymore?

if you want power/speed get another car
Old 05-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by JTso
For that matter, you won't find many enthusiasts willing to bolt a turbo on this engine without the ability to tune it themselves.

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
there is no real engine managment for the comptech supercharger either
There is no real programmable engine management, but there is a tuning solution. If there wasn't the car would destroy itself. The reflash and MAP sensor voltage clamp (aka "Comptech ACM") is what tunes the vehicle, but it is still a generic solution that is not vehicle-specific and lacks all the advantages to that end. The kit makes +50whp with a conservative generic tune, but if you had a long tube header and the ability to advance the intake cam to 45 degrees you could probably pick up another 30+ whp with a custom tune, even more if you swapped in a larger intake cam. We've all seen dynos of what a K24 can do with a blower, a little more boost, and new camshafts.

The reason why the engine management for the CTSC is generic is because the package is designed for a wider base of TSX drivers -- mainly folks who enjoy a little more power and are willing to shell out a lot of money ($4200+!!) for something they can bolt on with little to no extra maintenance or worry. They know Comptech means seamless quality, albeit for a price (kinda like Dinan for BMW), and an Eaton blower only needs an occasional oil change to keep it happy. Most of them won't be willing to shell out a few hundred bucks for a custom dyno tune every time they change a part on their car.

Such is a broader allegory for the TSX ownership base as a whole; it isn't a "tuner-friendly" vehicle like the RSX-S or Civic Si, and the market doesn't suggest it ever will be.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

there is no real engine managment for the comptech supercharger either.. and with it you'll be able to have more tunability with it.. no one really complaining about that right.. the same could be done with a turbo kit. I remember reading that Greddy ( i believe ) said that if enough of us wanted a kit that they would make one like they did with the RSX-s..thats not a reputable company?? So anything is possiable..
You can't really compare the RSX because there are existing engine management solution. The RSX has complete plug-n-plug replacement ECUs from Hondata or AEM. Also, the lack of DBW makes things less complex.

Comptech wouldn't have released the TSX SC kit if the reflash was not available.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:13 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If there was a turbo I'd say screw the s/c but i cant even get a s/c because of no reflash for my car yet...
Old 05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I would pounce on it. lol
Old 05-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Stokeless

I'd get it but not any time soon. I'm fixin up my bike now.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by rmpage
For that matter, you won't find many enthusiasts willing to bolt a turbo on this engine without the ability to tune it themselves.

There is no real programmable engine management, but there is a tuning solution. If there wasn't the car would destroy itself. The reflash and MAP sensor voltage clamp (aka "Comptech ACM") is what tunes the vehicle, but it is still a generic solution that is not vehicle-specific and lacks all the advantages to that end. The kit makes +50whp with a conservative generic tune, but if you had a long tube header and the ability to advance the intake cam to 45 degrees you could probably pick up another 30+ whp with a custom tune, even more if you swapped in a larger intake cam. We've all seen dynos of what a K24 can do with a blower, a little more boost, and new camshafts.

The reason why the engine management for the CTSC is generic is because the package is designed for a wider base of TSX drivers -- mainly folks who enjoy a little more power and are willing to shell out a lot of money ($4200+!!) for something they can bolt on with little to no extra maintenance or worry. They know Comptech means seamless quality, albeit for a price (kinda like Dinan for BMW), and an Eaton blower only needs an occasional oil change to keep it happy. Most of them won't be willing to shell out a few hundred bucks for a custom dyno tune every time they change a part on their car.

Such is a broader allegory for the TSX ownership base as a whole; it isn't a "tuner-friendly" vehicle like the RSX-S or Civic Si, and the market doesn't suggest it ever will be.
What im saying is..just like how they made the Comptech Supercharger for the TSX there could be a way to do the same with a turbo kit.. there are plenty alternatives that companys could use. You gotta leave it up to them to make a kit..so its better to see what they come up with instead of saying what they wont do, let them tell us that they wont do it..makes sense. Thats why i was just making a poll, just to send it to them and see what they come up with and what replies i get from "them".. If i wanted more power i could've gotten another car..correct, but why get a car thats fast but you dont like anything else about it? Whats the problem with making the car you actually wanted faster? Even if i had gotten an EVO i would make that faster as well.. would there be a problem with that too?? If you wanna go faster your gonna wanna go faster period. If its in you, its in you. I love the TSX just like everyone who purchased one.. I just wanna make my baby faster.. its a beautiful car that says fast all over it..lol just doesnt perform that way.. Now all i wanted was some votes to see what can come up from this.. i wasnt really looking to make a war thread ..so can i please have some more votes ladies and gents??
Old 05-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Yes.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Master Graphic Artist

I bought one of those kits that wires straight up to my accelerator, so when I let off it sounds like a BOV goes off. Now only if I can get something to make that induction sound...
Old 05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
I bought one of those kits that wires straight up to my accelerator, so when I let off it sounds like a BOV goes off. Now only if I can get something to make that induction sound...
There you go...
Old 05-07-2006, 05:37 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

If i wanted more power i could've gotten another car..correct, but why get a car thats fast but you dont like anything else about it? Whats the problem with making the car you actually wanted faster? Even if i had gotten an EVO i would make that faster as well.. would there be a problem with that too?? If you wanna go faster your gonna wanna go faster period. If its in you, its in you. I love the TSX just like everyone who purchased one.. I just wanna make my baby faster.. its a beautiful car that says fast all over it..lol just doesnt perform that way..
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony

Fuck that do this http://www.savspeed.co.za/video/st_the_beginning.wmv

Watch it.. Its funny as hell..
Old 05-11-2006, 06:18 AM
Drives With Hands

so can i please have some more votes ladies and gents??
Definitely. I'd turbocharge this car in a second if the engine management was programmable by the end-user. I'm just trying to explain why wishing for it (right now) strikes me as futile. Improving the car is almost more fun (to me) than driving it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:58 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

When turbocharging goes wrong

Supercharger and turbo....... At the same time??????http://www.savspeed.co.za/video/st_the_beginning.wmv

Watch it.. Its funny as hell..

Same video different title.....
Old 05-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Drives With Hands

Ha, VW actually has done a great deal of work developing an engine that uses a SC for down low and switches over to a spooled-up turbo after a certain RPM.

The most common type of twin charging system is a roots type supercharger paired up with a medium-large sized turbocharger. The supercharger will give better power at low RPM while the turbocharger will give better power at medium-high RPMs. The main drawback of this configuration is that at high speeds, the supercharger (as it is driven by belts) will increase drag upon the engine, limiting the top end power. The Volvo Twincharging System overcomes this by locating the supercharger's pulley on a clutch system, which is automatically engaged and disengaged by the computer. This allows the car to keep its top-end performance and automatically switch to supercharging at low RPM. The only drawback is that the supercharger's turbine still creates drag in the airflow system, even when the clutch is off and the turbocharger is on. To overcome this, complex piping must be used to bypass the supercharger at high RPMs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twincharger
Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Got Phó?

What im saying is..just like how they made the Comptech Supercharger for the TSX there could be a way to do the same with a turbo kit.. there are plenty alternatives that companys could use. You gotta leave it up to them to make a kit..so its better to see what they come up with instead of saying what they wont do, let them tell us that they wont do it..makes sense. Thats why i was just making a poll, just to send it to them and see what they come up with and what replies i get from "them".. If i wanted more power i could've gotten another car..correct, but why get a car thats fast but you dont like anything else about it? Whats the problem with making the car you actually wanted faster? Even if i had gotten an EVO i would make that faster as well.. would there be a problem with that too?? If you wanna go faster your gonna wanna go faster period. If its in you, its in you. I love the TSX just like everyone who purchased one.. I just wanna make my baby faster.. its a beautiful car that says fast all over it..lol just doesnt perform that way.. Now all i wanted was some votes to see what can come up from this.. i wasnt really looking to make a war thread ..so can i please have some more votes ladies and gents??

So true, So true. Making my TSX faster is my mission.