When I screw-up, I screw-up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I screw-up, I screw-up!

I need an injection of logic, here. I read about the need to replace the comptech SB–if you are installing a catback other than comptech, months ago. So what do I do; I buy the Tanabe SMT. Which is a good choice–except I have the comptech SB installed for the last 18 months. I didn't want to wait, and wait for the comptech catback and I had an annoying incidence with a vendor online after I ordered. And the thought was, I would install the catback myself. Well, I'm recovering from neck surgery, and I just don't have the arm strength–and I don't know when I'll return to normal. So, this great shop and people I found can do everything. Now, I've ordered the progressive SB, so, I've got for the shop to install: new Prog. SB, Tanabe SMT, and (oh yeah) 4 new tires.
Considering all the above; I thought maybe I should just sell the Tanabe (still in box) here, on the BM, and the Prog. SB and just order the Comptech exhaust. What do you think seems best.

I know my advancing age and those drugs I did in the sixties; didn't help.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, which exhaust would you prefer? If you're only considering comptech because of your current SB, but you really want the Tanabe, install the progressive SB and Tanabe. You can then sell your comptech SB to someone who doesn't want an exhaust, or already has a comptech exhaust.

If you sell the progressive SB and Tanabe on the BM, you'll probably take a hit, since people who want something new will prefer to buy it from a store instead of an individual. Even if you return the stuff, you will probably be charged a restocking fee.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Since you already have the Tanabe exhaust and Progress SB, then just sell the Comptech SB. It's much easier to sell one $100 part than two parts over $700. Not to mention you have to place another order for Comptech exhaust if you go the other route. Don't cut your toes to fit the shoes man.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I don't think I understand the problem here....is there a problem with Tanabe exhaust hitting the comptech sway bar?

Marcus

PS, Progressive is and insurance company. Progress makes sway bars.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
gistered User

Well, which exhaust would you prefer? If you're only considering comptech because of your current SB, but you really want the Tanabe, install the progressive SB and Tanabe. You can then sell your comptech SB to someone who doesn't want an exhaust, or already has a comptech exhaust.

If you sell the progressive SB and Tanabe on the BM, you'll probably take a hit, since people who want something new will prefer to buy it from a store instead of an individual. Even if you return the stuff, you will probably be charged a restocking fee.

Originally Posted by JTso
Since you already have the Tanabe exhaust and Progress SB, then just sell the Comptech SB. It's much easier to sell one $100 part than two parts over $700. Not to mention you have to place another order for Comptech exhaust if you go the other route. Don't cut your toes to fit the shoes man.
You are both right as rain. Thanks for the steading hands. Even old 'toots' like myself need a reality-check. I'll keep what I got, and sell the comptech sway bar.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 PM
boost owns

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I don't think I understand the problem here....is there a problem with Tanabe exhaust hitting the comptech sway bar?

Marcus

Yeah - the only catback which fits with the Comptech RSB is the Comptech or OEM catback. All others will hit it due to its design. People with aftermarket exhausts usually want to roll a Progress RSB.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

Marcus

The Comptech SB interferes with Tanabe exhaust and perhaps others (except Comptech or stock)

Comptech SB with Tanabe exhaust

Progress SB with Tanabe exhaust
Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
gistered User

^ Good to see the comparo. Thanks, JTso!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Enlightening! Thanks!

Marcus
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Yes as Jtso said, the Comptech RSB only works with the OE/Comptech exhaust. Progress works with all the exhausts.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm we could trade exhausts? =) LOL!!!!! hmm i wish you the best of luck. and to let you know u didnt screw up as bad as i have trying to mod mine =X
Old 07-12-2008, 07:03 AM
gistered User

Well, I can see this turned out to be a good thread for anyone who was installing a catback, other than Comptech, with their RSB. It flushed out the respected experts on this forum, and, we have definitive, solid answers. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
You could get someone to help you weld a 2-3 inch spacer moving the exhaust out more. Giving you some room.

Neuspeed rear sway bar. Seems like i'm the only one with it since everyone has problems with it and others.

I had to get a highflow cat to fit the cusco type 2 brace and it fixed the nuespeed problem.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Certified BAMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at least i know now that no matter what i do, the comptech exhaust is the ONLY thing that'll fit with my ct rsb. no need to try to force things.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 AM
gistered User

I just came from under the rear of my jacked-up TSX, and my CT RSB looks tucked-up, an easy 2 inches away from the top of the oem exhaust. I can't get my pinky finger between the top/center of the CT-RSB and the coated sheet metal directly above. Not even close to JTso's pix above. My CT-RSB is flush with the frame/chassie–that is directly above the RSB in the pix. I tend to believe I might not need the Progress RSB I bought. Now, is the RSB gonna drop when I lower my car, and hit the Tanabe SMT? Is that what the problem is with the CT-RSB?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM
gistered User

Originally Posted by DiaBando
I just came from under the rear of my jacked-up TSX, and my CT RSB looks tucked-up, an easy 2 inches away from the top of the oem exhaust. I can't get my pinky finger between the top/center of the CT-RSB and the coated sheet metal directly above. Not even close to JTso's pix above. My CT-RSB is flush with the frame/chassie–that is directly above the RSB in the pix. I tend to believe I might not need the Progress RSB I bought. Now, is the RSB gonna drop when I lower my car, and hit the Tanabe SMT? Is that what the problem is with the CT-RSB?
On jack-stands there is 2 inches–easy of clearance.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:53 PM
gistered User

Originally Posted by DiaBando
On jack-stands there is 2 inches–easy of clearance.

What the hey!.... I installed the progress RSB. Now the Tanabe.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:43 PM
gistered User

Of some design interest to note; the Progress RSB I have has only one, outer lip on the RSB where the rubber bushings clamp against. Not 2, in the pix above.