Urgent advice installing Brembo BBK!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Urgent advice installing Brembo BBK!

Hey!

First of all, greetings from russian tuning enthusiasts and sorry for my english, especially some technical words, I don't know how to write them. If something is wrong, please correct me in spelling or meaning, but hope that you'll understand my problem.

Yesterday I've just got my kit from Italy and today we tried to install it, but there are some problems doing it...

There is no bolts for calipers strengthening in the set, in manual it is shown that it should be strengthened with stock caliper bolts. In result, when installing the rotor, it is turned on bolts heads and rub against the dust-coat.

Asked for advice with some Brembo installers and they told us that it is a common problem and we should curve the dust-coat or cut it, or if it is useless just remove it.

Bolts are not a problem, it is always possible to install another bolts with flat heads or just to cut some part of stock bolt heads.

But what should be done with the dust-coats?

1. Anybody knows if there is any difference between the Acura TSX and european Honda Accord break systems? Especially bolts and dust-coats specifications?

2. Is it OK that such a well-known and expensive brand as brembo should be installed with lots of difficulties?

3. Anybody or your friends already installed Brembo BBK on front? Any problems?

4. Is it OK to just remove and throw away the dust-coats? Isn't it very bad for the car and the brakes themselves? I think that any kind of unprofessionalism is not allowable when upgrading the brakes. If I remove the dust-coats, is it really possible to drive without them or is it dangerous?

All of your advices and opinions are highly appreciated, will continue installation tomorrow...

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So just remove the dust cover I dont see why that would cause a problem...
Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Racer

I don't really get the purpose of dust covers on disk brakes. Aren't the brakes themselves making a lot of the dust? Yeah they serve a purpose to stop rocks and any other types of dust to get to the back side of the disk, but the fronts are completely exposed. Just toss them, I think that is what brembo would want to do, if not they would have sent you another bigger set of dust covers.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm trying ti remember who is running Brembo Brake kits. I think EvilJon and also Zasker1. Hopefully they are around. You might even be able to contact Comptech and see if they have any instructions you can use. I'm not sure if they are around yet, but they should re-opening soon. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
You can either cut, bend or remove the dust cover. I removed mine for my ROTORA BBK; I could have cut it but I chose to remove it.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

OK, we just removed the dust cover, but it was not the last problem

Brembo calipers are too big for RonJon Servos even with 5mm spacers.
If 10mm spacers installed, there is 2-3mm space between the caliper and the wheel. Is it enough or should I have 15mm? I'm afraid 15mm will be too much and my wheels will rub the arches...

Also we need longer studs, but to remove the stock and install the new studs, it is required to strip the center hub. But when mounting everything on again with new studs it is required to purchase the new hub bearings. Is it really so? Can't we use the old ones? Nobody knows here, even in Honda Service Center they didn't faced this problem before...

Anyway it will be 2 weeks before the bearings and spacers will arrive... too many problems with Brembo
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the trouble you have to go through just to use spacers, get larger rims and sell your current ones.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I would switch out the wheels instead of going to all of that trouble.

Comptech has article about fitment for their BigBrake kit. It's also a Brembo kit. I'm not sure if it's the same one you have. Worth a shot though. There kit has 13" rotors. Is that what you have?

http://www.comptechusa.com/miscPDFs/...tmentSheet.pdf

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/product401.html
Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord2k6
OK, we just removed the dust cover, but it was not the last problem

Brembo calipers are too big for RonJon Servos even with 5mm spacers.
If 10mm spacers installed, there is 2-3mm space between the caliper and the wheel. Is it enough or should I have 15mm? I'm afraid 15mm will be too much and my wheels will rub the arches...

Also we need longer studs, but to remove the stock and install the new studs, it is required to strip the center hub. But when mounting everything on again with new studs it is required to purchase the new hub bearings. Is it really so? Can't we use the old ones? Nobody knows here, even in Honda Service Center they didn't faced this problem before...

Anyway it will be 2 weeks before the bearings and spacers will arrive... too many problems with Brembo
3MM should be enough clearance between the caliper and wheel if that is when the wheel is bolted down and torqued to spec.