Type-S/R Limited Slip Differential in TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type-S/R Limited Slip Differential in TSX

Is it possible to install a Civic si or Type-s LSD on a stock TSX transmission?
Or does it need a RSX tranny for it??
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
You could try a search. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before and it's a no go (don't remember why though).
Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

yeah i searched like a madman
some said its direct bolt on, others are skeptical...
anyone has a sure answer?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 AM
Instructor

Direct bolt-on, I'm 90% positive. That's what everyone at honda-tech says. The K-series 6-speed transmissions are virtually the same aside from gearing.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Well Im 100% positive I have a civic Si LSD in a 05 TSX. The gearing are interchangble between the RSX / Civic but the ratios are different slightly. The major difference is the tranny housing. The RSX and Civic have the same tranny housing and both will bolt up to a K24 but TSX has different mounting points.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by UNEVAKNO
Well Im 100% positive I have a civic Si LSD in a 05 TSX. The gearing are interchangble between the RSX / Civic but the ratios are different slightly. The major difference is the tranny housing. The RSX and Civic have the same tranny housing and both will bolt up to a K24 but TSX has different mounting points.
Do you notice significant acceleration/cornering improvements? Also, how much did the entire setup cost you?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

so what needs to be done in order to install the si LSD on the TSX?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Do you notice significant acceleration/cornering improvements? Also, how much did the entire setup cost you?
Yes it feels more in tune to the road traction wise. The torque is evenly distributed to the ground. My cost is much lower than it would be for you because my mechanic is a Honda tech with mad connections. But the LSD is about $1100 and the labor for install is about the same.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stephanoya
so what needs to be done in order to install the si LSD on the TSX?
It is a direct replacement for your current manual trans diff.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Should be ~$750 online: Honda LSD

Quaife, $900: http://www.manufacturersdepot.com/Pr...054-1180622061
Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Redfish

Thats a really good deal! Great find! The dealer price even at cost is 850.00. Im sure these guys can use that route.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Yes it feels more in tune to the road traction wise. The torque is evenly distributed to the ground. My cost is much lower than it would be for you because my mechanic is a Honda tech with mad connections. But the LSD is about $1100 and the labor for install is about the same.
IIRC, you've posted elsewhere regarding drag racing and that you've achieved some very good 1/4 mile times. It clearly doesn't make sense to run in such events using a "lossy" traction control system (i.e. VSA), so I assume you disable VSA and rely on the LSD to even out torque delivery in the wheels. I expect here it does quite well.

If you don't mind, could you further comment on the LSD off the track - is there any problem with it interacting w/VSA in limited traction conditions, and is there a different feel to the car under spirited (but still legal) street driving conditions? Have you ever driven on snow/ice with the LSD?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Old Guy

It is a direct replacement for your current manual trans diff.
How can it be a direct replacement if the TSX has different mounting point (see post above)?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by Simba91102
How can it be a direct replacement if the TSX has different mounting point (see post above)?
The differential with the LSD is a direct swap for the non-LSD differential. It's not dependent on how the transmission itself mounts to the engine. The differential itself is just the final piece of the drivetrain contained within the transmission of a FWD vehicle.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by hunterk1
The differential with the LSD is a direct swap for the non-LSD differential. It's not dependent on how the transmission itself mounts to the engine. The differential itself is just the final piece of the drivetrain contained within the transmission of a FWD vehicle.
Got it; thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Will it work on an auto tsx?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Racer

Thank you for answering that.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by godfather2
Will it work on an auto tsx?
No manual only
Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Racer

IIRC, you've posted elsewhere regarding drag racing and that you've achieved some very good 1/4 mile times. It clearly doesn't make sense to run in such events using a "lossy" traction control system (i.e. VSA), so I assume you disable VSA and rely on the LSD to even out torque delivery in the wheels. I expect here it does quite well.

If you don't mind, could you further comment on the LSD off the track - is there any problem with it interacting w/VSA in limited traction conditions, and is there a different feel to the car under spirited (but still legal) street driving conditions? Have you ever driven on snow/ice with the LSD?

Thanks!
I ran a 14.9 last season with out the LSD spinning in 1st and 2nd gear. I never use VSA I turn it off as soon as I get into the car. I just had the LSD installed but it seems to have more traction in corners when a stock diff. the tires would lose traction if you gas into a corner. The VSA should work with the LSD and provide addition traction in slippery conditions. I can not answer the last question because I dont drive the TSX in the snow. I have a few other secrets done to the tranny and I will post the results when I get to the track to see if I see a improvement. Im trying to get low to mid 14's with a stock motor internals.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The VSA should not conflict with an LSD at all. The VSA is only looking and reacting to difference in wheel speed in relation to the input from the yaw sensors (I'm only talking about the traction control part of VSA here, the part that cuts your power when the wheels slip). Since the LSD is already helping to prevent the wheel with less traction from spinning, the VSA should have to intervene less.

An LSD will only assist the VSA, not hinder it any way.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Poser / Fanboi

I ran a 14.9 last season with out the LSD spinning in 1st and 2nd gear. I never use VSA I turn it off as soon as I get into the car. [...]
Thanks for replying - in hindsight it makes sense to me that the best quarters are run when you're right at the edge of traction - you have an LSD just in case, but if you actually "use it" (i.e. lose traction) you'll ultimately have a slightly greater time? Is that right?

My main reason to get an LSD is completely different from yours - I do live in snow and ice, and occasionally have to ascend an icy hill. With VSA sometimes I just have to give up, because a lossy system just doesn't work well in these situations. Turning VSA off is a little better but then of course you get single wheelspin.

Did you swap to the RSX 2nd-5th gear, as some others have done (Black_6spd springs to mind) or was it something else? The RSX gear swap looks like a nice mod. Good luck with the next season.

Finally - the LSD won't worth with the 5AT? This comes as a surprise to me, do the transmissions have different differentials? I know the AT has a lower final drive but figured the ring gears were interchangeable on the same diff.
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
An LSD will only assist the VSA, not hinder it any way.
That makes sense, thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hunterk1, Black6sp blew out his 2nd gear, remember that. Either have the gears treated or stick with your 2nd if you go for new gearing.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Reach
hunterk1, Black6sp blew out his 2nd gear, remember that. Either have the gears treated or stick with your 2nd if you go for new gearing.
Tell me more about this situation. Is the vehicle a TSX? What trans mods did he have? What was he doing when the gear blew? Etc.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Racer

Thanks for replying - in hindsight it makes sense to me that the best quarters are run when you're right at the edge of traction - you have an LSD just in case, but if you actually "use it" (i.e. lose traction) you'll ultimately have a slightly greater time? Is that right?

My main reason to get an LSD is completely different from yours - I do live in snow and ice, and occasionally have to ascend an icy hill. With VSA sometimes I just have to give up, because a lossy system just doesn't work well in these situations. Turning VSA off is a little better but then of course you get single wheelspin.

Did you swap to the RSX 2nd-5th gear, as some others have done (Black_6spd springs to mind) or was it something else? The RSX gear swap looks like a nice mod. Good luck with the next season.

Finally - the LSD won't worth with the 5AT? This comes as a surprise to me, do the transmissions have different differentials? I know the AT has a lower final drive but figured the ring gears were interchangeable on the same diff.
That makes sense, thanks.

A LSD will help in any situation where more traction is needed whether on dry, wet, dirt or snow. Its very helpful at the track because you are able to put more power/tq. to the ground off the line / in corners.

You are very good! I swapped 2nd/3rd if you look up the RSX/Civic SI vs. TSX gear ratios the TSX / RSX have the same 1st gear and 4th thru 6th are almost the same. The major difference is 2nd / 3rd gears. The TSX has a problem maintaining acceleration/momentum from 1st to 2nd beacuse the gears are not close enough from 1st to 2nd. The older RSX's have I think a 4.3 final drive and the TSX/ 05+ RSX's/ SI's have 4.7 final drive. So if you change 2nd / 3rd gears the acceleration is much more consistant.

I need to do more research on 5AT tranny because I was told that the manual LSD wouldnt work in that 5AT. I might be wrong.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

So its possible to convert over from Automatic to a Mannual using a Civic Si Tranny or RSX- Type S tranny?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ No. Even if you got a TSX manual transmission, there's a lot more work involved than just swapping it out. If I understand correctly there is no other tranny that will even bolt on. These guys are talking about swapping the internals of the transmission into the TSX transmission case.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by castillo183
So its possible to convert over from Automatic to a Mannual using a Civic Si Tranny or RSX- Type S tranny?
You can bolt up a RSX / Civic SI tranny to the TSX k24 but you will have to do major mods to the mounts for it to work. Like I said above the TSX and RSX / Civic SI tranny cases are shaped different but the internals (gearing)are interchangable. If you have a TSX AT you need a TSX manual trans to swap the internals from a RSX / Civic SI tranny.