Tsx536's - Auto 5AT - w/ Comptech Supercharger - Dyno / Pics (No 56K)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 PM
crc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also i would like to know what Hondata did with the ECU?and how much did it cost? i alrady had my ECU reflashed and was wondering if that is just going ot end up being a waste of money...that would really suck
Old 01-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zasker1
That's a nice Ice Box
Haha. Thanks for selling it to me Marcus. Straight ADM Yo!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by cArKc
also i would like to know what Hondata did with the ECU?and how much did it cost? i alrady had my ECU reflashed and was wondering if that is just going ot end up being a waste of money...that would really suck
Hondata put a new reflash on the ECU. The new reflash was tuned for a TSX with all Comptech parts, but other aftermarket parts should work fine. The reflash along with a Piggyback Comptech ACM (Advanced Control Module) handle the engine management. The Comptech ACM is full plug and play and requires no wiring splicing or soldering.

The Hondata reflash for the SC is included with Comptech's SC Kit. You do not have to pay extra for it.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:07 AM
crc

thanks for all the info~!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Instructor

WOW!!!!BEAUTY!!!!
I definitely want to see a video clip!!!
BTW, how is the fuel consumption? is there a drastic change?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Instructor

I only lost 2 mpg my last refuel, and thats with me hitting 140mph and going WOT a couple of times, so the mpg is negligible if not nil. Here are some vids of the 6mt

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=27968&page=6
Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Instructor

uhh tsxx536, can you test your 0-60 if possible? im really interested to see if it improves by much (on the AT)
Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Damn, that's awesome! I would like to have one but $4k is too expensive. Maybe in future.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:10 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
simply amazing! I wish I had the opportunity to get it
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Pro

What is 223whp at the crank? And Would a supercharged TSX 5AT be able to keep up with a TL / CL?

What would you guys estimate the installation costs of this thing?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
What is 223whp at the crank? And Would a supercharged TSX 5AT be able to keep up with a TL / CL?

I don't have one, but if the estimate is 7 hrs at $40/hr shop rate (which is low), then $280 minimum.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Polar Chicken

How is wheel spin with this much power?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:13 AM
4th Gear

Very nice looking SC setup.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
uhh tsxx536, can you test your 0-60 if possible? im really interested to see if it improves by much (on the AT)
I will try. I didn't plan on going to the track though. I know this sounds ghetto, but maybe I can have a friend try to time me It's a little difficult to see how much improvement there is since I don't have a baseline time though. Look at the number for the TL. I would hopefully have close to those numbers. This is just a guess though.

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Well I should have close to what sho-one had at the crank. We have similar mods. CGTSX2004 estimated his car to be about 287 at the crank. Because I have a Auto transmission, I put down less power to the ground than his TSX though.

I should definitely be able to keep up with a 5AT Auto TL though. I'm not sure about a stock TL 6MT I have less torque, but it weighs more. I think it would be close and maybe even depend on the driver. Check out Dan's post from Sho-one's thread below:
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I was just surfing over in the 3G TL section and noticed that a stock 6MT TL-S dynos at ~225whp/184lb ft. The TL-S does 0-60 in 5.9 and the 1/4 in 14.5@95mph.
As for install, it says 7 hours +/-. Find out what your local shop charges per hour and that should give you a rough estimate of installation costs. They will not have to do any tuning. Tell them it is already done, and you just need the kit installed.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Zasker1
How is wheel spin with this much power?
I get wheel spin if I floor it completely from a stop. Other then that I have not gotten very much wheel spin. I'm usually kind of light on the gas until I hit 3k though. Once I hit 3k, that's when I floor it

I've been having a lot of fun driving. I have so much more power now, yet my car is kind of a sleeper since it's so quiet. A RSX Type-S tried to rev on me on the freeway yesterday on the way home. He was dropped with wheels and exhaust. I downshifted to 3rd, pulled on him hard, and left him in the dust
Old 01-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,753 Likes on 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
I get wheel spin if I floor it completely from a stop. Other then that I have not gotten very much wheel spin. I'm usually kind of light on the gas until I hit 3k though. Once I hit 3k, that's when I floor it

I've been having a lot of fun driving. I have so much more power now, yet my car is kind of a sleeper since it's so quiet. A RSX Type-S tried to rev on me on the freeway yesterday on the way home. He was dropped with wheels and exhaust. I downshifted to 3rd, pulled on him hard, and left him in the dust
thats awesome. wow I found a new part for my car.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
thats awesome. wow I found a new part for my car.
Comptech = USDM

Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,753 Likes on 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by gsclifton
Comptech = USDM

yeah funny. but you know what there is no other jdm supercharger or turbo and whether its usdm or jdm i will get a lot of additional points at shows for the supercharger.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
yeah funny. but you know what there is no other jdm supercharger or turbo and whether its usdm or jdm i will get a lot of additional points at shows for the supercharger.
Yeah it should definitely help. The SC helps make the engine bay look better. Since you also have the CL, would you drive your TSX a lot if you got it though?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Instructor

that shit is amazing...i can already see it now...turnin the boost up to 7-8psi and a new tune...shooting for 350z maybe even a evo or STi
Old 01-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Instructor

i was just wondering....is anyone else not disturbed by the fact that the AT loses 64hp through drive train loss compared to 43hp for the MT...and stock its about a 10-15hp difference(about 8% increase over the MT already high 20-25% )...no wonder all the magazines repeatedly say that the AT and MT are esentially 2 different cars (with the MT being the "type-s") version
Old 01-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah I think it is a little disappointing, but I knew going into this that I would have less power to the wheels then a 6MT. I'm a very realistic person, and I was expecting a power difference, and would not have been suprised if the difference was even bigger.

I try to look at it from this point of view. By getting the SC, I was not trying to achieve higher peak numbers than other cars. It was more about my gains and trying to improve on the numbers that I already had. No matter what, there will always be cars that make more HP. If I was all about straight performance, I wouldn't have gotten an auto and probably would have gotten something else besides a TSX. I don't track the car and for me this mod is about just making my car that much more fun to drive. I already love my car and the missing piece has always been a little extra power. Although numbers are great, for me, in the end it's all about the permagrin on my face whenever I hit boost
Old 01-24-2006, 03:24 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Tsx536- check your PMs.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by r33p04s
that shit is amazing...i can already see it now...turnin the boost up to 7-8psi and a new tune...shooting for 350z maybe even a evo or STi
I'm not sure this SC is going to be very tuneable if at all. With an ECU reflash and a piggyback that does God-knows-what to the fuel system, this is more of an install-and-forget solution. Even something simple like changing the blower:crankshaft RPM ratio (e.g. smaller blower pulley) might be hard to do, as it would require a custom tune, and we have no way of doing this ourselves. Hondata would need to change the fuel maps, which would require them to dyno-tune your car and give you a custom flash. There's no telling what this Comptech ACM thing would need done to it either. This is custom work; VERY expensive and time consuming.

But for the same of argument, let us assume we get a K-pro and can obviate the mess that proprietary programming entails. Regardless of this advantage you will still be limited by the mechanical shortcomings of the supercharger. Roots blowers generate the most heat-per-pressure of any pump type, and the Eaton M62 is no exception to this rule. Look at this:

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/prod...argers/M62.asp

Keep in mind that currently there is no option for an aftercooler for this supercharger, so those are going to be a conservative estimation of your charge temps (with the addition of convection heating from the radiator a few inches upwind, and conduction heating from the engine block itself). In 80F weather, my IAT is already somewhere around 110F (with CAI) and that's when the car is in continuous motion, with good airflow over the engine cowling. So, with only 5 pounds of boost it is going to be closer to 180F. Not good for a high compression engine. Realize that the K24A2 is an engine with native compression that is already quite high, so high that running less than premium gasoline causes detonation and the adaptive knock control to pull timing even with natual aspiration. So here we have an engine whose native design is inherently intolerant of all but modest amounts of boost, blown by a pump with the thermal efficicency ranking somewhere between "blast furnace" and "Satan's asscrack", with no means of cooling the charge air. I tip my hat to Comptech and Hondata for their successful R&D efforts. It was surely a six headed bitch, lack of ECU programmability notwithstanding.

My impression is that this SC is the ideal solution for people who simply want to improve upon the TSX's decidedly weakest spot - its power/weight ratio - with the minimum amount of fuss and while still retaining OE reliability and street driveability. This gets us up in the neighborhood of the 2004+ TL in terms of power/weight, which is ideal for most people's desires (remember, the TSX is a sport luxury car). If you want to live your life a quarter mile at a time...you are better off looking elsewhere. As the saying goes, you can't polish a turd, and if you want Evo/STi/350Z performance, you're better off looking at another car.

Edit: Better yet, just read the post above this one.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

now let me ask a dumb question. why did they choose that type of blower? or is that just the nature of a sc in general?

assuming that this step has been taken, what is stopping tuners from dropping in larger scs or better yet a turbo?

sorry if they have been brought up, im just a tad bit curious why one would stop with only a sc when it seems the majority of the legwork has been done. i can defiantely see that this sc is going to be testing the waters for forced induction but is there even chances of something more powerful on the horizion or better yet a turbo? aside from hondas addition of a turbo. or is that what is being waited upon to see how honda does it
Old 01-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Racer

TSX536, did you have the intake gasket mod and if not did comptech not recommend it?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

When I picked up my car I asked Comptech about a Stage 2 kit that would include a smaller pulley for higher boost, larger injectors, and a new reflash. Basically, something similar to the RSX Stage 2 Upgrade.
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/product314.html

Comptech said they wanted to get the base SC package finalized and released first. After that they plan to do some development and research for a Stage 2 kit for the TSX. They told me they would give me a call in a few months and give me a chance to be the test vehicle again. At this point I don't think I need the extra power, but we'll see. They are also looking into developing some other prototype parts for the TSX which I may also be involved with later. Unfortunately, I definitely cannot talk about the prototype parts. If I hear any concrete information about these parts being release, you guys will be the first to know though.

I also asked about an aftercooler. They already have a prototype aftercooler on a RSX, and said the cost for the aftercooler would be high, and they didn't think there would be enough of a market for it because of that. With the high temps that we are dealing with high boost though, I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up selling an aftercooler kit.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by JoeC1982
TSX536, did you have the intake gasket mod and if not did comptech not recommend it?
The SC kit comes with a new Comptech intake manifold gasket. It is definitely recommended.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Instructor

25K more to go for me. Once I reach the end of warrenty..Comptech has a customer...basically I need to save almost $200 per 1000 miles to afford it.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Racer

Very nice. Whats are you boosting at?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Instructor

its not all about racing...i agree completely with tsx536 about the perma-grin...but taking that performance upgrade and going one step further is something that i can never say is a bad idea...no matter what it might entail...aftercoolers retuning custom or mass produced...as long as the price isnt through the roof its still worth it to have the mix of the tsx with the speed of a evo or STi would be great...thats all I'm saying...just take an already great mix and improve on it...no street race mentality just more perma-grin
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
now let me ask a dumb question. why did they choose that type of blower? or is that just the nature of a sc in general?
The largest advantage of roots blowers (and screw compressors too) is that their boost curve is almost completely flat. Centrifugal compressors (both in SC and turbochargers) produce progressively higher pressure as you climb in revs, which gives them great performance up top but down low it isn't as good. Roots blowers produce just as much boost off idle as they do up high, sometimes even more. This makes them very good on the street, especially in cars with automatic transmissions and DBW - two features that make it difficult to accurately control engine RPM and modulate the boost. In short, a roots blower produces "useable" power. A nice side effect is that it has almost no parasitic drag on the engine when the bypass valve is open and the engine is off-boost because the blower is in recirc.

I would advise anyone with curiousity on this subject to read this. In fact, that is part 2 of a 3 part series on superchargers that is quite a good read front to back.
Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
assuming that this step has been taken, what is stopping tuners from dropping in larger scs or better yet a turbo?
Aftermarket engine management. Find a way to program the ECU and the door to this, that, and the other thing will be blown wide open.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

thnx, ill definately read up some!

i think nows a good time for another company to come out and pressure hondata to get the move on.... competition always makes a better product, well let me rephrase that... cheaper
Old 01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

does it work on 05's...?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Audi Driving Snob

seeing as how it's a roots type blower i'm surprised, and a little dissapointed, at the torque curve below 3k rpms. Don't get me wrong the torque curve and power above 3000 rpms is fantastic and will pay huge acceleration dividends but it's a little dissapointing that when cruising on the freeway in 5th gear you might have less power on tap then a NA tsx. Tsx536 maybe you can speak to your driving impression for cruising and the like.

I wonder if it was tuned that way on purpose to deal with the shortcomings of trying to launch a fwd car.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by TinkySD
seeing as how it's a roots type blower i'm surprised, and a little dissapointed, at the torque curve below 3k rpms. Don't get me wrong the torque curve and power above 3000 rpms is fantastic and will pay huge acceleration dividends but it's a little dissapointing that when cruising on the freeway in 5th gear you might have less power on tap then a NA tsx. Tsx536 maybe you can speak to your driving impression for cruising and the like.

I wonder if it was tuned that way on purpose to deal with the shortcomings of trying to launch a fwd car.
You bring up a very good point TinkySD. I was worried about this when I first saw the dyno sheet, but after doing a lot of driving it hasn't been an issue at all. I think that it was tuned this way for fuel economy. When I am on the freeway cruising at between 2000-3000 RPMs, I am going between 65-85 mph. I don't need a lot of power there since I am just cruising and trying to maintain the same speed. If I want to accelerate I just step on the gas and my RPMs will go to above 3K putting me into the power range. Since my timing as been advanced, the throttle is very sensitive and I barely have to get on it to reach 3k. I can still easily pass people even in 5th gear. There is a lot more power available in 5th gear then there was before.

Also keep in mind that we are talking about a relatively small drop in hp/tq drop at those RPMs. It's not a night and day difference. My baseline dyno was done with a stock airbox. When you run an Icebox or Injen intake you're going to get the same amount of power drop in those RPMs. The low end power loss of the SC is not really any different from what you would get by installing an intake. If you take a look at some of the intake dynos it will illustrate this. A NA TSX with intake is probably going to have about the same amount of HP/TQ at those RPMs as a TSX with SC. Once the TSX with SC hits 3k though, the boost will kick in, and it will have a decisive advantage.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by aznt1217
does it work on 05's...?
Not yet unfortunately. The SC is only available for the 2004 TSX. Hondata is still working on trying to crack the 05 ECU.

Rmpage: Great posts and link man. Thanks for the info
Old 01-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Got Milk???

Not yet unfortunately. The SC is only available for the 2004 TSX. Hondata is still working on trying to crack the 05 ECU.

Rmpage: Great posts and link man. Thanks for the info

How much did this whole kit cost you, including labor?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaikai114
How much did this whole kit cost you, including labor?
he's not allowed to tell us;

the cheapest price so far is $3700 for the kit
Old 01-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Drives With Hands

I think that it was tuned this way for fuel economy.
That would be my guess as well. The blower only uses a couple hp in recirc mode, and the engine is on low cam, so economy is maximized. Who cruises above 3k anyway? Even at 90 I'm barely above 2500.

Quick Reply: Tsx536's - Auto 5AT - w/ Comptech Supercharger - Dyno / Pics (No 56K)