Thinking about Comptech Super Charger for 04 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:45 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about Comptech Super Charger for 04 TSX

I just started looking at this, I am very tempted. I am in the NY-CT area does anyone else have a super charged acura TSX AT that they would let me test drive I will treat it like my own (I will be nice, even obcessive)

Thanks
Naresh
Old 10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro

hmm.. well i'm in the north jersey area in hoboken.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^ damn, you're a nice guy!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
4th Gear

Re:

That might work, what is your opinion of the Super Charger? Any problems, money well spent? I have had my TSX for a little more than 2 yrs, about 50k miles. I would love to step into the new 335 coupe, but that will be a stretch.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Pro

Well i had some minor problems which Comptech sorted out. It is obviously much faster than a stock TSX but you get used to the power after a while and kind of want more. I haven't had a chance to race anyone or take it to the track in order to get a sense of how much faster it really is. All I had a chance to do was a dyno but this was when i was having some issues with the tensioner/belt. I got 227whp and 169torque in 93 degree heat...
Old 10-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Well i had some minor problems which Comptech sorted out. It is obviously much faster than a stock TSX but you get used to the power after a while and kind of want more. I haven't had a chance to race anyone or take it to the track in order to get a sense of how much faster it really is. All I had a chance to do was a dyno but this was when i was having some issues with the tensioner/belt. I got 227whp and 169torque in 93 degree heat...

Wow, only 169 wtq? That really doesn't seem like much improvement for a $4k+ mod. Granted, I realize it was 93 degrees outside, but I'd still hope you could push 175+ wtq with a S/C in that temperature. What other engine mods do you have?

The main reason why I was considering getting a S/C over Hondata was because I want ALOT more tq!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Boost Junky

thats such dissapointing numbers coming from a roots type blower...Do u know what kind of blower it is? It looks like a M62 but I could be wrong.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep, it's an Eaton M62 boosting around 5psi.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I wish there was more torque too. An modded 04 auto without SC only makes like 135-140 peak torque. The Auto transmission really robs some power. The 6MT with SC makes like 192 TQ
Old 10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Boost Junky

so is there anyone planning to run more than 5 psi??
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro

I have the icebox, header, hi flow cat, and stock exhuast. The S/C with 5PSI adds about 50whp and 30lbs of torque. With all those mods without the s/c, I had about 175whp and 140lbs of torque. But you also have to realize that the torque curve on a non supercharged TSX is not nearly as flat...at least for the 5AT. You hit peak torque at 3k rpms and it stays virtually at peak all the way through the rev range. But I do wish the car had even more torque. You can add smaller pullies to achieve 7psi, 9psi, 11psi..etc.. but there is no engine management (KPRO) to handle that power. In addition, going over 5PSI will require modified fuel injectors. Yes, the price is a bit steep for what you get but you pay for the reliability and excellent customer service provided by Comptech. They are also some Acura dealers that don't go nuts if they see the aftermarket parts are from comptech.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
I have the icebox, header, hi flow cat, and stock exhuast. The S/C with 5PSI adds about 50whp and 30lbs of torque. With all those mods without the s/c, I had about 175whp and 140lbs of torque. But you also have to realize that the torque curve on a non supercharged TSX is not nearly as flat...at least for the 5AT. You hit peak torque at 3k rpms and it stays virtually at peak all the way through the rev range. But I do wish the car had even more torque. You can add smaller pullies to achieve 7psi, 9psi, 11psi..etc.. but there is no engine management (KPRO) to handle that power. In addition, going over 5PSI will require modified fuel injectors. Yes, the price is a bit steep for what you get but you pay for the reliability and excellent customer service provided by Comptech. They are also some Acura dealers that don't go nuts if they see the aftermarket parts are from comptech.
I understand that there isnt any flashable management available but coming from a Toyota background, we have never had that luxuary and have always been forced to go piggyback or standalone. Everyone here makes it seem like its impossible to open loop tune these cars when in reality it shouldnt be much different than a toyota. Im sure finding injectors shouldnt be a problem for these cars, how much different is the fuel rail compared to some other K motor hondas out there? I stated in a previous post, theres a company called dietschwerks that sells modified OEM injectors but im not sure if they have TSX specific injectors. Couldnt you just simply wire in an emanage or unichip or some sort of piggyback so you can add fuel and pull timing past 4K rpms? I dont get it why nobody is trying this, it seems everyone is so hung up on KPRO. Of course tuning wont be simple due to the DBW system, but most good tuners that know what they are doing wouldnt waste there time on throttle position or RPM, but rather by manifold pressure.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by simplyscion
so is there anyone planning to run more than 5 psi??
yes, i will once a stand-alone engine management system comes out that's compatible with the tsx..

COME ON K-PRO!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I understand that there isnt any flashable management available but coming from a Toyota background, we have never had that luxuary and have always been forced to go piggyback or standalone. Everyone here makes it seem like its impossible to open loop tune these cars when in reality it shouldnt be much different than a toyota. Im sure finding injectors shouldnt be a problem for these cars, how much different is the fuel rail compared to some other K motor hondas out there? I stated in a previous post, theres a company called dietschwerks that sells modified OEM injectors but im not sure if they have TSX specific injectors. Couldnt you just simply wire in an emanage or unichip or some sort of piggyback so you can add fuel and pull timing past 4K rpms? I dont get it why nobody is trying this, it seems everyone is so hung up on KPRO. Of course tuning wont be simple due to the DBW system, but most good tuners that know what they are doing wouldnt waste there time on throttle position or RPM, but rather by manifold pressure.
Sounds like you have a plan, so I think you should go for it. Let us know how those piggy back solutions work for you. In the RSX the piggyback solutions have caused problems, but it hasn't been tested on the TSX. It sounds like you're passionate about it, so I say go for it. Just because no one has done it, don't let it stop you from trying. You can be the first man!

Modified injectors are pretty easy to get. Comptech sells modified Hi flow K series ones that are used in the stage 2 RSX application, but there are also other aftermarket ones you can get.

When are you planning on getting it all started?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Sounds like you have a plan, so I think you should go for it. Let us know how those piggy back solutions work for you. In the RSX the piggyback solutions have caused problems, but it hasn't been tested on the TSX. It sounds like you're passionate about it, so I say go for it. Just because no one has done it, don't let it stop you from trying. You can be the first man!

Modified injectors are pretty easy to get. Comptech sells modified Hi flow K series ones that are used in the stage 2 RSX application, but there are also other aftermarket ones you can get.

When are you planning on getting it all started?
what kind of problems have happened with the RSX? Are you talking about the ECU just relearning around the emanage settings or has there actually been real problems? I didnt really get this car to boost it, I bought it to kick back and relax in but Im more interested to find out whats stopping everyone from making big power. Im surprised that theres not a company out there that is willing to take that route. Im just here for the learning experience
Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I've read that the ECU tries to modify the signal back to the stock signal. This can produce inconsistent and unpredictable results. And can be especially dangerous if you're running boost. Along with that people have gotten CELs. Go on clubrsx.com and do a search on VAFC and you will see the problems that are discussed. Everyone there seems to be against piggybacks, but then again it could be because they have KPro available.

I don't think any of this has been proven to be the same for the TSX though. Comptech uses a piggyback fuel management solution along with a Hondata ECU reflash for the SC engine management, so those piggybacks must be at least somewhat effective. If you ever get the itch to mod (which you will ) then you should do some experimentation with it. Just make sure that you clamp the voltage on the MAP sensor so that you don't get a CEL. (That's what Comptech does)

Here's some good info I recently read by Hondata talking about the piggybacks vs. KPro.
http://www.hondata.com/techk20boostprimer.html

This article should help you see why we all want KPro. It is the ultimate engine management solution.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Racer

i dislike the fact that our AT tsx is lack of torque. plus my car is making this whining noise and its most likely related to the torque converter. the dealership doesn't even want to look at the engine due to my aftermartet suspension setup. they say Acura_canada won't do any warrenty coverage regarding to the aftermartket suspension setup that i have. they say the lowered suspension will change the car's geometry and that would be relatively connected to the engine to produce problems. and now my warrenty is out and i can't do nothing but live with the freaking noise.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by shitbox
i dislike the fact that our AT tsx is lack of torque. plus my car is making this whining noise and its most likely related to the torque converter. the dealership doesn't even want to look at the engine due to my aftermartet suspension setup. they say Acura_canada won't do any warrenty coverage regarding to the aftermartket suspension setup that i have. they say the lowered suspension will change the car's geometry and that would be relatively connected to the engine to produce problems. and now my warrenty is out and i can't do nothing but live with the freaking noise.
That's Your suspension will not affect your tranny. I could see if they wanted to say your ball joints went bad, which even is a stretch, b/c of the suspension but not your tranny.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Boost Junky

I've read that the ECU tries to modify the signal back to the stock signal. This can produce inconsistent and unpredictable results. And can be especially dangerous if you're running boost. Along with that people have gotten CELs. Go on clubrsx.com and do a search on VAFC and you will see the problems that are discussed. Everyone there seems to be against piggybacks, but then again it could be because they have KPro available.

I don't think any of this has been proven to be the same for the TSX though. Comptech uses a piggyback fuel management solution along with a Hondata ECU reflash for the SC engine management, so those piggybacks must be at least somewhat effective. If you ever get the itch to mod (which you will ) then you should do some experimentation with it. Just make sure that you clamp the voltage on the MAP sensor so that you don't get a CEL. (That's what Comptech does)

Here's some good info I recently read by Hondata talking about the piggybacks vs. KPro.
http://www.hondata.com/techk20boostprimer.html

This article should help you see why we all want KPro. It is the ultimate engine management solution.
gotta love it when the ECU wants to bring you back to a stoich mixture no matter what you do
theres ways around it, its actually quite simple. See, heres where the problem starts....Boost an n/a car which is pretty much automatically programmed to run at a 14.7:1 a/f ratio unless theres changes in the cam profiles like vtec or vvti. You run a piggyback which modifies the signal going into the ECU and bypasses the readings coming through the o2 sensor and a/f sensor(assuming this car has a factory wideband), also through MAP amongst other sensors. You upgrade injectors, fuel pump, fpr etc...factory ecu sees more air and will dump fuel to compensate for that until the CEL pops on...it sees that the car is running to rich and will try to bring it back to a stoich mixture...this is the point in time now where the tuner wants to add fuel, not in the beginning, bringing it back to a safe A/F ratio. The only problem with this method of tuning is your dashboard is gonna be lit up like a christmas tree with the CEL and probly VSC on this car or whatever they call it. Im not worried about CEL's when turning an n/a vehicle into an n/a-t vehicle...reason being is without that CEL, chances are your ECU is working against you and you are running dangerously lean. Most people dont wanna work with the ECU, but in reality once your fuel trims are strung out and are pulling back about 30% fuel, thats when you can go in and add that extra fuel, change necessary timing and be safe under boost.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Excelerate
That's Your suspension will not affect your tranny. I could see if they wanted to say your ball joints went bad, which even is a stretch, b/c of the suspension but not your tranny.
yes. I'm so disappointed with acura's service. They kiss your ass when you go buy the car and when you bring it back with problems, they'll give you the biggest BS just to try to get away from it. maybe its just the dealership that i went to. it's Acura at Markham, service manage name Vince Kam. This guy man, the greatest hustler ever.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Boost Junky

bump for some guys running superchargers...I want them to see this info. If you guys need a company to make pulley's for you I have the right person.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

its possible, on some cars if you lower the suspension enough you change the angle of the drive shafts. On MINI Coopers, significant lowering will cause buzzing from the transmission because the angle is too much.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
gotta love it when the ECU wants to bring you back to a stoich mixture no matter what you do
theres ways around it, its actually quite simple. See, heres where the problem starts....Boost an n/a car which is pretty much automatically programmed to run at a 14.7:1 a/f ratio unless theres changes in the cam profiles like vtec or vvti. You run a piggyback which modifies the signal going into the ECU and bypasses the readings coming through the o2 sensor and a/f sensor(assuming this car has a factory wideband), also through MAP amongst other sensors. You upgrade injectors, fuel pump, fpr etc...factory ecu sees more air and will dump fuel to compensate for that until the CEL pops on...it sees that the car is running to rich and will try to bring it back to a stoich mixture...this is the point in time now where the tuner wants to add fuel, not in the beginning, bringing it back to a safe A/F ratio. The only problem with this method of tuning is your dashboard is gonna be lit up like a christmas tree with the CEL and probly VSC on this car or whatever they call it. Im not worried about CEL's when turning an n/a vehicle into an n/a-t vehicle...reason being is without that CEL, chances are your ECU is working against you and you are running dangerously lean. Most people dont wanna work with the ECU, but in reality once your fuel trims are strung out and are pulling back about 30% fuel, thats when you can go in and add that extra fuel, change necessary timing and be safe under boost.
Have you ever heard of "closed-loop" and "opened-loop" modes in ECU programming? The ECU only maintains 14.7:1 in closed-loop mode. It's in opened-loop mode during WOT and the ECU doesn't use the O2 sensor for feedbacks.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Race Director

I would like the Comptech Supercharger too, but I'll wait until the 4 yr/50K warranty is done.
Any places in the Chicagoland area that sells or installs the SC?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Sounds like a hack. I like hacking computers at work, but not hacking the computer that helps get me to work To be honest, I wouldn't try this method myself. Right now, I'm happy with the power I'm putting down. I'm a highway commuter, and not a track guy though. My car is already fast enough to get me in trouble, I'm regularly passing people going 100+ and I rarely come across cars that I can't take on the top end. Also, my kit is still smog legal here in Calif, I have No CELs, and didn't have to splice any wires on my ECU. That along with the fact I just bought a house is telling me to take a break from doing anymore mods.

I still think you should test this out for yourself SimplyScion. You're the one with the idea, the car, and the past experience. If you're confident that you can produce your own engine management then you could even run a Turbo and produce some serious boost
Old 10-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by JTso
Have you ever heard of "closed-loop" and "opened-loop" modes in ECU programming? The ECU only maintains 14.7:1 in closed-loop mode. It's in opened-loop mode during WOT and the ECU doesn't use the O2 sensor for feedbacks.
absolutely, thats why you can't tune partial throttle properly because it is stuck in closed loop. Believe me, ive been down this road before numberous times. I know it will work, I have no doubt in my mind...my major problem here is the fact that I leased this car so doing any of this would be really stupid on my part being that I would hafta convert the car back to stock in the end.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

From what I understand Honda doesn't use the oxygen sensors to dictate A/F ratios; it may be an auxilary part of the ratio determination but I know it's not the primary means of adjusting A/F ratios. And also Honda doesn't use wideband oxygen sensors. They only use narrowbands.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Boost Junky

Sounds like a hack. I like hacking computers at work, but not hacking the computer that helps get me to work To be honest, I wouldn't try this method myself. Right now, I'm happy with the power I'm putting down. I'm a highway commuter, and not a track guy though. My car is already fast enough to get me in trouble, I'm regularly passing people going 100+ and I rarely come across cars that I can't take on the top end. Also, my kit is still smog legal here in Calif, I have No CELs, and didn't have to splice any wires on my ECU. That along with the fact I just bought a house is telling me to take a break from doing anymore mods.

I still think you should test this out for yourself SimplyScion. You're the one with the idea, the car, and the past experience. If you're confident that you can produce your own engine management then you could even run a Turbo and produce some serious boost
Its not really hacking, this is what us Toyota guys are forced to do, the only thing is theres companies such as Dezod performance that makes pnp harnesses so you dont hafta cut up the stock harness. I ran a Dastek Unichip with 2 different fuel maps on my last supercharged car which was tuned through a bluetooth pda and had a pnp harness that made installing it into the car a 3 minute affair. The thing I love about the Unichip is that it is completely different than an emangle(emanage). The main difference is the Unichip doesnt alter the signal going into the ECU, it alters the signal coming out of the ECU so there is no way the ECU can make adjustments and relearn the tune over time. It is one of the best ways to be able to tune partial throttle and can also control water/meth or nitrous injection if need be. If someone is in the Arizona or Florida area, Dezod Performance is a great company that is coming out with a cutting edge engine management system for the Scion tC which Im sure can be implemented on the TSX with some minor adjustments. I havent heard any solid info on it yet, but my guess is they are gonna convert the factory MAF setup into a speed density setup(MAP). Which we already have on the TSX...we are already 1 step ahead of the game. Both vehicles utilize the DBW system and both vehicles have factory wideband sensors instead of a narrowband. I think the main problem is, there is nobody that has really wanted to push the limits. If there was someone in my area willing to let me try this out for them, I would be more than happy. I can help install the kit, I have a couple of places locally I know of were we can throw it on the dyno and tune it. Im a boost head at heart, my only problem is Im not in a position to be able to do it to my own car which sux. If I bought this thing instead of leased it I would be designing a turbo kit with the help of a couple friends. But like I said, if theres someone thats willing to let me help I am down for the task. If its a custom turbo setup, I have access to compressor maps but I already have a turbo in mind for this car...its a simple setup and would be internally gated. I would think a 16G or 18G would fair well with the fast spool times helping in the tq dept, now who wants to let me do it to their car
Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Boost Junky

From what I understand Honda doesn't use the oxygen sensors to dictate A/F ratios; it may be an auxilary part of the ratio determination but I know it's not the primary means of adjusting A/F ratios. And also Honda doesn't use wideband oxygen sensors. They only use narrowbands.
your kidding me...honda is still using narrowbands? Are you sure the primary isnt a wideband and the secondary just a regular o2? What would be the primary way of determining the A/F ratios if its not through the o2 sensors? Is it mainly through MAP? And then trimmed out through the o2 sensors cause if thats the case then it would make things even that much easier
Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

^^ I have the perfect guy for you I think!

Shoot me your email address on PM. Or if you have Myspace, shoot me a link to your page.

Also, you can buy a car at the end of the lease, so you can still put in some boost

..And the primary O2 sensor in the TSX is definitely wideband. It's also very much used by the ECU when running in closed loop mode. Disconnect it, and you will see what happens
Old 10-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Boost Junky

^^ I have the perfect guy for you I think!

Shoot me your email address on PM. Or if you have Myspace, shoot me a link to your page.

Also, you can buy a car at the end of the lease, so you can still put in some boost

..And the primary O2 sensor in the TSX is definitely wideband. It's also very much used by the ECU when running in closed loop mode. Disconnect it, and you will see what happens
email replied...I wanna see if I can help this guy out unless he really is bsing everyone and doesnt really have a kit installed. I dont see why he would do that, being that it would be pretty foolish and childish at most. As far as the primary sensor goes, I thought it was a wideband. Most new cars today use an a/f sensor which in our case is a Wideband a/f sensor(I hope now since theres some speculation) and then a secondary o2 sensor...both sensors are 2 totally diff sensors, most people think they are both o2 sensors.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually, the TSX does come with a primary wideband O2 sensor, and so did the Civic VX. That's why a replacement sensor is so expensive. Most other Honda cars come with narrowband O2 sensors.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

As far as the primary sensor goes, I thought it was a wideband. Most new cars today use an a/f sensor which in our case is a Wideband a/f sensor(I hope now since theres some speculation) and then a secondary o2 sensor...both sensors are 2 totally diff sensors, most people think they are both o2 sensors.
They are all O2 sensors regardless primary or secondary. The difference is the implementation of those two sensors. The primary is to provide ECU feedback for fuel mangement. The secondardy O2 sensor is to monitor CAT converter operation.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Boost Junky

They are all O2 sensors regardless primary or secondary. The difference is the implementation of those two sensors. The primary is to provide ECU feedback for fuel mangement. The secondardy O2 sensor is to monitor CAT converter operation.
your right, I didnt clarify myself, what I meant was that the 2 sensors are there to monitor 2 different values...thank you for the clarification
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not really hacking, this is what us Toyota guys are forced to do, the only thing is theres companies such as Dezod performance that makes pnp harnesses so you dont hafta cut up the stock harness. I ran a Dastek Unichip with 2 different fuel maps on my last supercharged car which was tuned through a bluetooth pda and had a pnp harness that made installing it into the car a 3 minute affair. The thing I love about the Unichip is that it is completely different than an emangle(emanage). The main difference is the Unichip doesnt alter the signal going into the ECU, it alters the signal coming out of the ECU so there is no way the ECU can make adjustments and relearn the tune over time. It is one of the best ways to be able to tune partial throttle and can also control water/meth or nitrous injection if need be. If someone is in the Arizona or Florida area, Dezod Performance is a great company that is coming out with a cutting edge engine management system for the Scion tC which Im sure can be implemented on the TSX with some minor adjustments. I havent heard any solid info on it yet, but my guess is they are gonna convert the factory MAF setup into a speed density setup(MAP). Which we already have on the TSX...we are already 1 step ahead of the game. Both vehicles utilize the DBW system and both vehicles have factory wideband sensors instead of a narrowband. I think the main problem is, there is nobody that has really wanted to push the limits. If there was someone in my area willing to let me try this out for them, I would be more than happy. I can help install the kit, I have a couple of places locally I know of were we can throw it on the dyno and tune it. Im a boost head at heart, my only problem is Im not in a position to be able to do it to my own car which sux. If I bought this thing instead of leased it I would be designing a turbo kit with the help of a couple friends. But like I said, if theres someone thats willing to let me help I am down for the task. If its a custom turbo setup, I have access to compressor maps but I already have a turbo in mind for this car...its a simple setup and would be internally gated. I would think a 16G or 18G would fair well with the fast spool times helping in the tq dept, now who wants to let me do it to their car
Send a PM to PrecyseStylez, he's been pretty adamant about wanting a custom setup for a while.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Actually, the TSX does come with a primary wideband O2 sensor, and so did the Civic VX. That's why a replacement sensor is so expensive. Most other Honda cars come with narrowband O2 sensors.
Good to know. Most Honda's use narrowband sensors; I didn't realize the TSX used a wideband for the primary O2 sensor. Still odd that it would be so expensive since I buy replacement wideband 02 sensors for my Innovate Motorsports Wideband kit from VW for like $40.