There maybe hope for us TSX's

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Pfft!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neocrynym
Franklin. PM me or something next time you'll be home. I'd really like to talk to you in person about what all you're doing w/ your car. I have the serious itch to boost my TSX (would much prefer turbo over S/C), but of course want to keep all the creature comforts, so we should chat. And of course, I always like to see others' cars
Sounds good bro.

Update:

Well everything was setup to be done yesterday. As the shop was holding the Auto Ten. pulley it broke (I will post pictures later). The shop ordered the parts and get them there today to continue. The guy that was going to tune it ended up being sick today so we did the base tune today. Tune everything before boost. Started to get into boost and the guy that was tuning it was having trouble because he wasn't familar with the software. The tuner will be at the shop tomorrow to hopefully finish everything up.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
B A N N E D

i dunno about everyone else but i'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

good luck

make sure you keep us posted!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Ben
Sounds good bro.

Update:

Well everything was setup to be done yesterday. As the shop was holding the Auto Ten. pulley it broke (I will post pictures later). The shop ordered the parts and get them there today to continue. The guy that was going to tune it ended up being sick today so we did the base tune today. Tune everything before boost. Started to get into boost and the guy that was tuning it was having trouble because he wasn't familar with the software. The tuner will be at the shop tomorrow to hopefully finish everything up.
Nice bro, glad you're taking it forward (and that your engine didn't blow up on the base dyno). Can't wait to see the results !!!

Btw, I can't remember...how much boost are you looking to add?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Advanced

So have you actually run the car at all yet with everything installed, or are you just base tuning on a PC until the real tuner gets there and you replace the belt/strap the car to the dyno?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DAYTA
Nice bro, glad you're taking it forward (and that your engine didn't blow up on the base dyno). Can't wait to see the results !!!

With the Comptech S/C 5psi @ base, I think Big Ben would like to add at least another 5psi... 50whp will make you the fastest on AZ....
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by chuson
With the Comptech S/C 5psi @ base, I think Big Ben would like to add at least another 5psi... 50whp will make you the fastest on AZ....
assuming theres no belt slip 5 psi on the M62 will net him about another 35-40whp...I guess it could be arguable 50whp on certain dyno's/conditions/elevation etc.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator

just taking notice

I'm not going to edit any of the above posts, just leave them in original form. Common sense goes here people. simplyscion is not a vendor and is not trying to sell a product, just offering to get people in touch with other resources. if he does ever ask for money thats another thing, but to my understanding he hasn't asked anyone for anything.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by Reach
I'm not going to edit any of the above posts, just leave them in original form. Common sense goes here people. simplyscion is not a vendor and is not trying to sell a product, just offering to get people in touch with other resources. if he does ever ask for money thats another thing, but to my understanding he hasn't asked anyone for anything.

as I stated I may be of real assistance to you guys as far as having a fully conrollable standalone AEM EMS with a plethora of additional functions and beneficial features besides for your full control of fueling/spark etc If theres a will, theres a way. Who is located in or near the buffalo area that is willing and interested to be used as a test subject for the harness? No worries, your factory harness will not be hacked or changed by any means

*edited by Reach - no advertising people / services, just stick to the point*
Old 12-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Pfft!

Originally Posted by DAYTA

I should be at 9-10psi. This pulley hasn't been tested on the tsx so we are not sure what it will peak boost at but we assume it won't be anymore than that. On a roots blower you really don't want to go over 9-10psi.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Pfft!

Originally Posted by neocrynym
So have you actually run the car at all yet with everything installed, or are you just base tuning on a PC until the real tuner gets there and you replace the belt/strap the car to the dyno?
The car is still sitting at the shop. I didn't feel comfortable driving it. What would happen is that if you stomped on the throttle it would lead out when you got into boost. It got more complicated once we got into boost so we are going to let the real tuner do it. The real tuner will use the pc as well. I am not really sure what you mean by replacing the belt/strap.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I will be picking up the car this afternoon.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Pfft!

Originally Posted by chuson
50 whp more would be nice and that would be my hopes but once the blower gets hotter you start to lose whp.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The car is still sitting at the shop. I didn't feel comfortable driving it. What would happen is that if you stomped on the throttle it would lead out when you got into boost. It got more complicated once we got into boost so we are going to let the real tuner do it. The real tuner will use the pc as well. I am not really sure what you mean by replacing the belt/strap.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I will be picking up the car this afternoon.
Does that mean the car is being tuned today by the real tuner and you're picking it up this afternoon??
Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by simplyscion
Yes I will not be directly selling any protducts to you guys and the company that will be will become a vendor on this site, and is currently a vendor of random tech cats. Thank you Reach I didnt know if i was crossing boundaries hence the concern about my post and my coming to you about what to do, but as I stated I may be of real assistance to you guys as far as having a fully conrollable standalone AEM EMS with a plethora of additional functions and beneficial features besides for your full control of fueling/spark etc If theres a will, theres a way. Who is located in or near the buffalo area that is willing and interested to be used as a test subject for the harness? No worries, your factory harness will not be hacked or changed by any means

Im up here in buffalo, ny by amherst.

we just dropped my friedns 02 wrx at one of the tuning places. let me know how i can help out.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Drives With Hands

50 whp more would be nice and that would be my hopes but once the blower gets hotter you start to lose whp.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/faq.php
Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced

I am not really sure what you mean by replacing the belt/strap.
My bad What I meant was: "replacing the belt. Strap it to a dyno."

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
Im up here in buffalo, ny by amherst.

we just dropped my friedns 02 wrx at one of the tuning places. let me know how i can help out.
TEST VEHICLE!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Pfft!

Originally Posted by rza49311
Does that mean the car is being tuned today by the real tuner and you're picking it up this afternoon??
Real tuner is there today.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by rmpage
I actually have a number of the Snow Performance Stage 1 kits in stock and they are perfect for you guys with Comptech S/C setups.

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=6

$250 shipped

You should be looking at around a 10% increase in power based.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Pfft!

Thanks for the info Josh.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:02 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drkangel348
I heard that Doug from Hondata has ran a TSX with dual ECUs...
There are 7th gen Accords doing it too on Gen7Accord.net

Elements are also doing it as well...
http://www.hondata.com/kpro_element.html
So, does that mean the 2005 at can be tuned??
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I actually have a number of the Snow Performance Stage 1 kits in stock and they are perfect for you guys with Comptech S/C setups.

$250 shipped

u can gain a lot more than that if you are able to get aggressive with timing and use the meth kit as a knock deterrent...basically turning your gas into 116 octane if u run a highly concentrate mix of meth/alky + water. You would also obviously need the ability to add timing. I wish someone tried to hardwire a piggyback like the Unichip GP. It is the next best thing to an AEM EMS or Hydra standalone setup. It has the ability to become a progressive water meth controller as well which is awesome for tuning an all in one unit! On the Unichip GP it has the abiltiy to switch between 2 maps with the flick of a switch, which would be good to have one daily driver map and one aggressive map with the advanced timing
Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Boost Junky

i tried to edit my post instead of starting another one but consider this my edit:
The reason why the Unichip is superior to majority of the other piggybacks out there is due to the fact that the Dastek Unichip does all its paramater changes to the injector signal and ignition signals coming out of the ECU not going into the ECU like the emanage. It is still not a 100% complete solution and is a bandaid compared to the AEM standalone or Hydra standalone, but it is one of the best piggybacks out there on the market compared to the AEM F/IC. Also I like the fact that you hafta be a certified Unichip tuner to be able to use the software and make adjustments to the tune or create a map, not just some monkey with a laptop, support tool, software and the supposed "know how". I cant tell you how many people I hear complain about the fact that their are very few Unichip tuners and why to go with an Emanage cause anyone can say they can tune it. Good luck with that monkey tuning your car that their generation of tuning was adding a fuel pressure regulator and upping the fuel pressure for each pound of boost added doesnt understand the difference between closed loop to open loop trantision tuning, factory timing levels need to be retarded back under certain loads etc...well whatever enough of this drunken rant...be back tommorow!!
Want a good read? Its been said time and time again but Corky Bell's Maximum boost and also a good read on engine management is by Hartman Motorbooks Workshop "How to tune and modify engine management systems."
Old 12-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Drives With Hands

$250 shipped

Damn that's a pretty good price, do you also sell Stage II kits? I'm looking to put one in my goat before next race season.

Want a good read? Its been said time and time again but Corky Bell's Maximum boost and also a good read on engine management is by Hartman Motorbooks Workshop "How to tune and modify engine management systems."
I have both these books and agree they are a great starting point or refresher for anybody looking into having a hand in the build/tune process, or just wanting to learn a bit more about the engineering considerations that go into modern engine controls and turbocharging.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Pfft!

Tuning is taking alot longer than expected. Having some trouble with the FIC. Going back for round 2 today.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

You have my number Ben
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Boost Junky

Tuning is taking alot longer than expected. Having some trouble with the FIC. Going back for round 2 today.
so what kind of troubles are you running into?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

u can gain a lot more than that if you are able to get aggressive with timing and use the meth kit as a knock deterrent...basically turning your gas into 116 octane if u run a highly concentrate mix of meth/alky + water. You would also obviously need the ability to add timing. I wish someone tried to hardwire a piggyback like the Unichip GP. It is the next best thing to an AEM EMS or Hydra standalone setup. It has the ability to become a progressive water meth controller as well which is awesome for tuning an all in one unit! On the Unichip GP it has the abiltiy to switch between 2 maps with the flick of a switch, which would be good to have one daily driver map and one aggressive map with the advanced timing
Snow Performance actually has Stage 2 kits which have a progress of shot water/methanol and generally can make closer to 20% more power but the Stage 1 is just an on/off setup good for low boost applications. My rep from there told me with a 50/50 mix it's basically like having 110 octane in the car. So for instance on something like a VW/Audi 1.8T or 2.0T you can run software from APR with a 100 octane program when you know you have a 50/50 mix b/c they have already advanced timing and set it up for the right fuel. However, for the TSX for a Stage 2 kit it would be good to have some of fuel and ignition timing management.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Boost Junky

Snow Performance actually has Stage 2 kits which have a progress of shot water/methanol and generally can make closer to 20% more power but the Stage 1 is just an on/off setup good for low boost applications. My rep from there told me with a 50/50 mix it's basically like having 110 octane in the car. So for instance on something like a VW/Audi 1.8T or 2.0T you can run software from APR with a 100 octane program when you know you have a 50/50 mix b/c they have already advanced timing and set it up for the right fuel. However, for the TSX for a Stage 2 kit it would be good to have some of fuel and ignition timing management.
Ive never actually used a snow performance kit but I have used the spearco kit on my supercharged tC...it actually had its own progressive controller like the stage 2 kit from snow. I could have gotten away with something like the stage 1 kit from snow cause I was using the Unichip which I had mentioned it can progressively spray meth or nitrous based off throttle%, boost, or rpm which was awesome for my centrifugal vortech s/c. Chemical intercooler technology ftw
Old 12-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Boost Junky

also you mentioned the apr chip for the vw/audi...im not sure if they are still doing it but they had a 104 octane program at one point for the 1.8t..my friend had the 93, 100 and 104 programs that he was able to toggle between with certain key on/off steps...it really changed the performance of the car with the added boost and timing, but can destroy a stock 1.8t if not run on c16 or a meth kit...he learned the hard way the first time he cracked the piston rings lol
Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Pfft!

Thanks. We are running into a few issues with the unit and we think that it maybe the wiring harness that is pinned wrong. I am suppose to get a wiring diagram in monday thanks to highrev. The unit isn't allowing me to change the Vtec points along with a few other issues. It is hitting at 5k which is where the sc reflash puts it. We are changing it in the unit but nothing is happening. We stopped tunning yesterday because we wanted to make sure that everything is correct before we take the time to really tune it. We are also going to get a scanner that will allow us to see what all is going on when we are changing the settings. My tuner feels good that it will work but it will take some time.

Should know something mid week.

Ben
Old 12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Drives With Hands

Gracias for the update. Good luck buddy!
Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Boost Junky

Thanks. We are running into a few issues with the unit and we think that it maybe the wiring harness that is pinned wrong. I am suppose to get a wiring diagram in monday thanks to highrev. The unit isn't allowing me to change the Vtec points along with a few other issues. It is hitting at 5k which is where the sc reflash puts it. We are changing it in the unit but nothing is happening. We stopped tunning yesterday because we wanted to make sure that everything is correct before we take the time to really tune it. We are also going to get a scanner that will allow us to see what all is going on when we are changing the settings. My tuner feels good that it will work but it will take some time.

Should know something mid week.

Ben
it was a boomslang harness? Well its good to see that you guys are making progress and addressing the issues. Looking forward to seeing the results...I would also definitely look into the meth kit like excellerate was talking about. You dont even need to run that aggressive of a tune, you can use it just as a safety precaution and still pick up about 10-15whp. Only problem is I dont think you can advance the timing with the AEM unit right?
Old 12-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Pfft!

it was a boomslang harness? Well its good to see that you guys are making progress and addressing the issues. Looking forward to seeing the results...I would also definitely look into the meth kit like excellerate was talking about. You dont even need to run that aggressive of a tune, you can use it just as a safety precaution and still pick up about 10-15whp. Only problem is I dont think you can advance the timing with the AEM unit right?
Yeah it was a boomslang hardness. We are not sure if it is the wrong wiring yet. This was the 1st TSX harness they had done so that is why we are checking into it. Once again thanks to Highrev. He has been a great help. Haven't gotten that deep into the unit to see if any timing can be done. If I had to guess I would say no.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Boost Junky

with the FI/C you have the ability to retard timing only. What were your WOT A/F ratios while you were doing the pulls?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Pfft!

with the FI/C you have the ability to retard timing only. What were your WOT A/F ratios while you were doing the pulls?

We didn't get to WOT. We stopped tuning because it will be pointless if the harness is incorrect due to the vtec engagement. We would have to start all over when we get the FIC to control vtec. Right now we are hitting vtec at 5k and with the sc we shoudl be at 3k. We have spend 6 hours at this point and don't want to waste anymore time if you know what I mean.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Drives With Hands

The tune Hondata dialed in for the CTSC has a VTEC window between 3-5k where it only hops on the high cam if you're above a certain TPS (it might even be WOT but I'm not sure). Once you hit 5k, you're in VTEC regardless. If you haven't even blipped WOT then that is probably why you're not seeing VTEC below 5k.

I know this has nothing to do with the FIC's ability to change the switchover point though.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Pfft!

The tune Hondata dialed in for the CTSC has a VTEC window between 3-5k where it only hops on the high cam if you're above a certain TPS (it might even be WOT but I'm not sure). Once you hit 5k, you're in VTEC regardless. If you haven't even blipped WOT then that is probably why you're not seeing VTEC below 5k.

I know this has nothing to do with the FIC's ability to change the switchover point though.
You are correct. When I first talked with boomslang they told me that they haven't done a tsx harness before but wouldn't be hard. Highrev is getting the wiring diagram and I want to double check to make sure everything is right before we started going any further.

EDIT: one started to make me think this about the vtec is because slowly putting the gas on going through the revs it his at 5k. meaning I can hear it.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Damn that's a pretty good price, do you also sell Stage II kits? I'm looking to put one in my goat before next race season.
I do have the Stage II setups also. You just have to give me some specific vehicle info so we can choose the appropriate size jet. I'll do $390 shipped on the Stage II.s
Old 12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure that the engine is under load. See if you can get Vtec to engage earlier. I think Vtec engages based on a combination of the MAP and TPS readings. You may want to ask Hondata to confirm.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Pfft!

Update:

After several days of tuning and trying to figure this out we finally made some ground. Today we hit 270 whp / 208 tq. We are still hitting Vtec at 5k which wasn't making sense. We were starting to think that the Boomslang wiring harness was pinned wrong. Highrev called boomslang today to find out that the AEM unit won't control Vtec for us. Why? We haven't figured it out yet. So this took us to plan B which was just running a piggyback off a piggyback. We are going to run the reflashed ECU - ACM box - AEM unit. We found out that the comptech ACM controls Vtec as well. The sc reflash, reflashes your ecu to hit vtec at 5k and the acm does the rest. With some help from comptech i believe that we are going to unpin all the wires that don't have any thing to do with vtec. With that being said and in a perfect world the vtec will hit at 3k and we will have completed the project. Nothing has been this easy thus far so I am expecting the worse. To be continued.....
Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Nice progress...looking forward to more soon

Quick Reply: There maybe hope for us TSX's