Suggest brakes & rotors for non-enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggest brakes & rotors for non-enthusiast

I'm taking my car in to the dealer for the typical TSX brake/rotor vibration problem. I'm crossing my fingers that the dealership will deal with Acura and get this covered under good will per the TSB.

If not, I'm looking for quality brakes and rotors you guys suggest that won't give me the same problems that the OEM brakes did. I've been on this forum for a while, so I know about Hawk HPS, Ceramic, and RacingBrake, Rotora slotted rotors are pretty good but also pricey.

I'll never be on a race track, and the craziest I get is going 80-90mph on I-95. I just want some recommendations on quality brake/rotors that won't give me these problems in the future, while being affordable. I'm not sure if i necessarily need the expensive Hawk Ceramic's, et al.

Let me know.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The Racingbrake (in my experience) has been proven to last longer than other brands. They are harder and designed for higher performance use. So if you are not into performance that durability translates into longer life. My mother in law non-enthusiast is on 45k miles and the 3rd set of Hawks on her UP rotor'd Legacy.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
ROTORA and STOPTECH both offer great quality OE size performance rotors. Combined with a good pad, and even SS brake lines and MOTUL fluid you will have much improved braking.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
The Racingbrake (in my experience) has been proven to last longer than other brands. They are harder and designed for higher performance use. So if you are not into performance that durability translates into longer life. My mother in law non-enthusiast is on 45k miles and the 3rd set of Hawks on her UP rotor'd Legacy.
under your dropdowns for creating your own brakes, you have "OEM Replacement (Centric/Stoptech) (Slot)"

So this means it's not the Acura OEM rotors, but it's either Centric brand or Stoptech? Are Centric & Stoptech the same thing? What's the difference if any?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Excelerate
ROTORA and STOPTECH both offer great quality OE size performance rotors. Combined with a good pad, and even SS brake lines and MOTUL fluid you will have much improved braking.
I don't see a way on your store to only buy Stoptech rotors and nothing else. It seems to only be included in a BKK which is way too expensive for me.

I'm really just looking for decently priced quality rotor/pads combination to replace these crummy OEM parts.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by alucardx
I don't see a way on your store to only buy Stoptech rotors and nothing else. It seems to only be included in a BKK which is way too expensive for me.

I'm really just looking for decently priced quality rotor/pads combination to replace these crummy OEM parts.
Just shoot me a PM with your vehicle info and what you're looking for and I'll get you a quote. Include your zip code.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by alucardx
under your dropdowns for creating your own brakes, you have "OEM Replacement (Centric/Stoptech) (Slot)"

So this means it's not the Acura OEM rotors, but it's either Centric brand or Stoptech? Are Centric & Stoptech the same thing? What's the difference if any?

Centric is the parent company of Stoptech and Powerslot. Same stuff. I call them OEM replacement, because if you are not getting racingbrakes, that's basically all these brands are. Every bit as good as stock rotors with slots cut in them and some black paint.

Marcus