SRI Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRI Install

How long does it take to install the Injen SRI and how long does it take to replace SRI back into stock configuration? Also, can anyone tell me what i have to do for both processes? Because of certain circumstances, im going to have to be going back and forth between the setups and would like to save time. Im hoping it doesnt take too much time and i dont have to replace much. Does the resonator box have to come off for the SRI installation? I want to be pretty informed before i buy the injen. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Advanced

Your wasting your money if your just gonna go short ram mode
Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Converting from short ram to full cold air doesn't take long (granted you got the tools at hand). ~30mins.
You wouldn't have to remove the resonator housing if you're just running SRI. BTW, the stock resonator housing weighs a bunch.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Advanced

btw, how long does a short ram intake work before it starts messing up?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:45 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
Converting from short ram to full cold air doesn't take long (granted you got the tools at hand). ~30mins.
You wouldn't have to remove the resonator housing if you're just running SRI. BTW, the stock resonator housing weighs a bunch.
I don't remember my resonator weighing more than ten pounds, tops. It's just plastic. In the grand scheme of things that is not a lot of weight.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by danish
btw, how long does a short ram intake work before it starts messing up?
It doesn't mess up unless you are talking about heatsoak, then pretty quickly
Old 05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Advanced

wait, heatsock is a long term problem? or do u mean the gains of having an sri will dissappear once the engine bay gets too hot but will come back next time i start the car?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
I Quit

heatsoak wont hurt the engine in any way but hinders the performance of the SRI. Either way you are pumping more air in than the stock intake. But the point of CAI is to induct a cooler denser air surge which is better for performance. SRI on the other hand sucks in the same amount of air as CAI but since it is exposed under the hood it's sucking in hot air as opposed to cold air. Injen is great because you can run CAI in the summer when it's dry, then run SRI in the winter/rainy season and not risk hydrolock. Plus injen sounds great!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Advanced

so heatsoak is temporary? my SRI will be back to normal once the car cools or i start it up the next morning, right? or is the SRI actually hurt?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Advanced

btw, i want an SRI over a CAI because i live in austin and goto UT while my parents live in dallas. my moms cool with the mods but my dad isnt so i have to change it out whenever i come back to visit because he likes to check the oil level and other fluids. thats why i need something that switches out quickly and easily and wont require bumper work, etc. so finally, here are my three questions to end this:
1. I can leave everything under the hood except the stock filter when i put in the SRI (no need to remove resonator), right?
2. Heatsoak won't permanently hurt the SRI, will it?
3. Anything else i should know?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 AM
Racer

heaksoak will hurt your engine not the intake !

you can buy a heat shield for it.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I Quit

Originally Posted by danish
btw, i want an SRI over a CAI because i live in austin and goto UT while my parents live in dallas. my moms cool with the mods but my dad isnt so i have to change it out whenever i come back to visit because he likes to check the oil level and other fluids. thats why i need something that switches out quickly and easily and wont require bumper work, etc. so finally, here are my three questions to end this:
1. I can leave everything under the hood except the stock filter when i put in the SRI (no need to remove resonator), right?
2. Heatsoak won't permanently hurt the SRI, will it?
3. Anything else i should know?
1. Yes everything stays the same other than you will remove a coolant relay towards the top of the intake, you can see this area on your stock intake, little black box with a rubber hose running out of the bottom connected to the stock intake tube.

2.Heat soak will not permanently hurt anything both engine or SRI. It will just reduce your horsepower a bit. However; when you let the car sit it cools down, but don't worry about it. Hardcore performance enthusiasts always say go CAI, but SRI will suit your purpose fine.

3. You may be better off with Comptech Ice Box since it retains the stock piping and bottom half of the air box. However; you'd have to remove the front bumper to put in the air horn in place of the resonator. Your dad would never know just keep the top of your stock intake and when you need to cover up, put it and the stock filter back in voila looks totally stock. I don't think your dad will be taking off your front bumper any time soon lol.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Advanced

haha yea thanks. i thought about the icebox but i love the sound my friend's g35 makes when he floors it with his intake. i dont think icebox can do anything close to that.