So I hit the dyno yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
So I hit the dyno yesterday...

I mostly wanted to monitor knocking conditions, but of course I also wanted to see how much the pulley upgrades (high boost + lightweight crank) and the water/meth added.

As a point of comparision, my initial S/C + I/H/C/E dyno was 251whp/190wtq with STD correction, 5 smoothing.

Here are the results. I haven't received the raw data from the shop yet, so this snapshot off a scanned PDF is all I have. When looking at them, refer to the numbers at the bottom of the page. The points on the plot reference engine speeds post-cutoff:

I hit ~276whp/211wtq with STD correction, 0 smoothing (5 smoothing should drop the numbers 2-3 hp/tq). On my best run, I basically made an additional 25whp/20wtq over the stock S/C setup with the pullies and water/meth, no tuning or other mods. This is about what I was expecting overall.

More importantly, we used a scan tool to monitor ignition advance and from what I saw there was no timing being pulled. From vacuum to boost at 3k, it started at 18 degrees and progressively went up to 22.5-23.5 degrees at redline. Coupled with my consistent dyno pulls (i.e. no erratic power spikes anywhere), it appears the engine is running smoothly. I took it to redline a few times yesterday, and it felt excellent.

What I found rather interesting was that I experienced no heatsoak whatsoever. Running more boost with a Roots blower, I expected power loss to hit after 4-5 runs. Instead, the car actually got STRONGER with each successive pull. My best runs (in terms of torque, anyway) were my last 2 (runs 9 & 10). Even after all of the pulls, the blower was cooler than the ambient temp. I guess the water/meth really does function well as a cooling agent.

One thing I will say, I now understand what people mean when they say 300whp+ in a FWD car is useless. I'm getting some serious torque steer under fast acceleration, to the point where I don't want any more power than I have since my car is being used as a DD. In fact, I'm fairly confident in saying that I'm done with power mods. My following phase(s) will now address other characteristics (most likely traction is next ).

Last edited by DAYTA; 09-25-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'd love to go for a ride in your car.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
same here

very nice numbers man!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice numbers!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Helladump/flush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are some really impressive number
Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Lsd!!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Time for LSD and clutch.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 AM
M3 Track Record

Very impressive number man good job! Now if you can find a reverse drive train so we can convert this car to BWD lol :P
Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

The numbers are almost 100whp more than a stock TSX!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Quaife LSD and perhaps DC5 OEM lightweight flywheel - more clutch set options.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very impressive man. It's good to know there are options out there to hit impressive power numbers in the TSX. Between you and Ben, the pioneering work you've both done is really valuable to the community. You won't be the last TSX to go the route you have (and I say this because I plan to do so in 2009 with my car.)

Looking forward to the next time we take your car for a spin.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
That is extremely impressive man. This is definitely my next mod. Hopefully the fact I only drive my car less than 5k a year will allow my auto tranny to hold up with the extra power. It would be awesome if you could do a detailed post as to all the equiptment that you have added for this upgrade from the base supercharger. It would really be nice to know what I am in for in terms or price. Hopefully I will be able to tackle the install since I managed to tackle the supercharger install successfully.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:54 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
That is extremely impressive man. This is definitely my next mod. Hopefully the fact I only drive my car less than 5k a year will allow my auto tranny to hold up with the extra power. It would be awesome if you could do a detailed post as to all the equiptment that you have added for this upgrade from the base supercharger. It would really be nice to know what I am in for in terms or price. Hopefully I will be able to tackle the install since I managed to tackle the supercharger install successfully.
Just from having looked at Jason (DAYTA)'s car, I think you'd be able to do the lightweight stock-diamater crank pulley and the HBP yourself, Colts. The methanol kit and the gauges he's running might be a bit trickier (involves drilling bungs into the intake tubing and the header, as well as some wiring I'm not going to begin to pretend to understand).
Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Appreciate the comments .

Originally Posted by dom
Originally Posted by tsxdriver
same here

very nice numbers man!!!!!
If you guys are willing to make the trip to CT, I'll provide the ride .

Originally Posted by PACman
Lsd!!
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Time for LSD and clutch.
Originally Posted by JTso
Quaife LSD and perhaps DC5 OEM lightweight flywheel - more clutch set options.
Maybe...maybe not .

I'm impressed that I was able to hit those numbers with an OEM clutch/flywheel (granted I only have 25k miles on the car).

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Very impressive man. It's good to know there are options out there to hit impressive power numbers in the TSX. Between you and Ben, the pioneering work you've both done is really valuable to the community. You won't be the last TSX to go the route you have (and I say this because I plan to do so in 2009 with my car.)

Looking forward to the next time we take your car for a spin.
Thanks man . If the garage wasn't such a clusterf**k, we already would have gone for a spin.

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I'll try to do that in a bit. To be honest, there really aren't that many additional parts needed beyond the S/C to get these numbers, but I would HIGHLY recommend adding boost and wideband A/F gauges to be able to monitor what your engine's doing at any given time. And like Audioserf said, the gauges and water/meth kit might need to be done by a shop. C'mon...Excelerate isnt that far of a drive for you .
Old 09-25-2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Just from having looked at Jason (DAYTA)'s car, I think you'd be able to do the lightweight stock-diamater crank pulley and the HBP yourself, Colts. The methanol kit and the gauges he's running might be a bit trickier (involves drilling bungs into the intake tubing and the header, as well as some wiring I'm not going to begin to pretend to understand).
I can do the one in the intake tube its plastic. I dont have the tools to install the one in the header though. Haven't learned how to weld yet although I may learn sooner than layter in the attempt to make an ETD work on our car although it wouldn't be engineered as well as JTso's was.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DAYTA

I'll try to do that in a bit. To be honest, there really aren't that many additional parts needed beyond the S/C to get these numbers, but I would HIGHLY recommend adding boost and wideband A/F gauges to be able to monitor what your engine's doing at any given time. And like Audioserf said, the gauges and water/meth kit might need to be done by a shop. C'mon...Excelerate isnt that far of a drive for you .
haha yeah thats a bit of a drive. I would probably just go to my buddies shop and have them weld a bung into my header and put a plug in it and take it home so that I could just do the rest of the work and save on labor costs. Plus I do all the stuff cause I love doing all my own work its a blast.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Appreciate the comments .
If you guys are willing to make the trip to CT, I'll provide the ride .
What part of CT? Thats where i'm originally from and i make trips back there every so often. I'd love to go for a spin in your car. That thing is sick man!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 AM
CL9 Tuner

Great numbers man. How much boost are you getting with the new pulley? Do you have the auto tensioner or manual tensioner? What size belt did ya go with? I'm toying the idea of adding a HB pulley myself but I dunno if I'd do the whole water/meth conversion.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
splendid setup you have there, dayta ... quite impressive! any torque steer?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn nice numbers!!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 04_K24TSX
Great numbers man. How much boost are you getting with the new pulley? Do you have the auto tensioner or manual tensioner? What size belt did ya go with? I'm toying the idea of adding a HB pulley myself but I dunno if I'd do the whole water/meth conversion.
you couldnt do the high boost pulley with out the water meth setup. you can't tool the full maps or anything on the engine and would knock without the addiction of the water meth setup.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 04_K24TSX
I'm hitting 8psi under full load (stock is 5psi), and I think you average about 10whp/1psi of boost. My kit was one of the newer Comptech kits that came with the auto tensioner, and I'm using a Gates 75.5" belt ordered through NAPA Auto Parts (IIRC, you're running the same one).

As CCC mentioned above, you can't just add the high boost pulley and call it a day. You will have to compensate leaning out the mixture by adding fuel. IMO, running water/meth is the best solution since we currently don't have a viable tuning option and it's difficult to further modify the fuel system. It also functions as a cooling agent which make our Roots blowers more efficient. My A/F ratio is perfect (mid-high 11:1) and the car runs smoothly.

I always have to keep an eye on the water/meth levels or else my engine will blow, but the power gains are worth the hassle and cost to me .

Originally Posted by godfather2
splendid setup you have there, dayta ... quite impressive! any torque steer?
Thanks man. I'm just really happy it has worked out well so far. I actually have actually noticed some significant torque steer, especially in 1st and 2nd gear, but it's definitely controllable once you get used to it.