RT Cat w/ Comptech Headers....Yes or NO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006 | 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

RT Cat w/ Comptech Headers....Yes or NO?

Hey guys,

I have been trying to save to get hondata and comptech headers and i was wondering if i should get the RT high flow CAT as well. Seeing Excellerate selling them for like $310 really isn't much more than the price i would be spending for the hondata and headers anyway, plus i hear and see that the gains for the CAT are pretty sweet! However, I am very hesitant to get the CAT because of all the CEL issues, and i really don't feel like having to pay more money to get that tool (or pay the stealership) to reset my codes all the time (if i get them, assuming i will). I guess i am just looking for some people to talk me into getting it, or not getting it.

Also, i will not be able to get hondata and headers/CAT at the same time, so which do you recommend me getting first? These will be my first purchases in the up coming year for my 04 AT

Jwood
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Absolutely, get Hondata first, headers second, and cat third. But by all means, get the cat as well. The cat will be your last restriction in your exhaust track, as the stock catback exhaust is more than capable of handling our engine.

Regarding cat and CELs, if you do the anti-fouler trick at the same time, you should never get a CEL. The anti-foulers cost about $2.50 at any auto-parts store and are totally worth it. I have the cat, and was receiving CELs weekly until I put them in. After that, no CELs, and no change in performance. I haven't done any sophisticated a/f analysis since, but I don't get the sense that I'm running rich.

Also, if you're going to DIY, installing the header and cat at the same time makes it very easy. So really, go order your hondata now. today. stop reading this and order it. its wonderful. Then order a cat and header when you're ready to and get them on at the same time. You'll love it, I do!
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reach
Absolutely, get Hondata first, headers second, and cat third. But by all means, get the cat as well. The cat will be your last restriction in your exhaust track, as the stock catback exhaust is more than capable of handling our engine.

Regarding cat and CELs, if you do the anti-fouler trick at the same time, you should never get a CEL. The anti-foulers cost about $2.50 at any auto-parts store and are totally worth it. I have the cat, and was receiving CELs weekly until I put them in. After that, no CELs, and no change in performance. I haven't done any sophisticated a/f analysis since, but I don't get the sense that I'm running rich.

Also, if you're going to DIY, installing the header and cat at the same time makes it very easy. So really, go order your hondata now. today. stop reading this and order it. its wonderful. Then order a cat and header when you're ready to and get them on at the same time. You'll love it, I do!
Thanks for the response Reach! I will be getting hondata as soon as i see how much money i have saved up after Christmas is over and i pay off my school loans for the end of the year! Hondata was already a given and then i will start saving for the others.

I need to read more about that anti-fouler trick apparently! I just want to make sure that i am not doing more harm than good. Obviously i won't care too much when my butt dyno enjoys it, but still need to make sure my baby stays healthy
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

with Reach

I have had 1 CEL the entire time I've had this setup (Spring Time)

Don't forget to get the cat to exhaust gaskets from NAPA (do a search you'll find my posting about it).

Do the header cat... YOU'LL LOVE IT.

Save hondata for later as you will probably be running a little rich.
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moda_way
with Reach

I have had 1 CEL the entire time I've had this setup (Spring Time)

Don't forget to get the cat to exhaust gaskets from NAPA (do a search you'll find my posting about it).

Do the header cat... YOU'LL LOVE IT.

Save hondata for later as you will probably be running a little rich.
See, now you say leave hondata for later? Running rich refers to.....the a/f ratio? I already have your install page saved in my favorites for when i do the install

I have 2 seperate savings going, one for engine and one for asthetics, which a i'm almost done with. Just saving some money for different wheels too!
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

I found it.. here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33074

Anyone considering the cat should read that one IMO.
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jwood_04TSX
See, now you say leave hondata for later? Running rich refers to.....the a/f ratio? I already have your install page saved in my favorites for when i do the install

I have 2 seperate savings going, one for engine and one for asthetics, which a i'm almost done with. Just saving some money for different wheels too!
Hondata made as much difference to my CT Header and RT cat as putting the header and cat on. The only thing I can think of (other than money) for doing Hondata first is the noise from the CT Header and RT cat. You will increase cabin noise and exhaust noise with the CT Header and more importantly the cat. I've been in a former members 04 TSX with just the Injen and Hondata, it definitely makes a difference. Because of my setup (including the CT CAI, Hondata heatshield, etc etc), I'm at 195whp 164ft lbs. It is amazing.
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Additionally, clearing a CEL is cheap. Go to Autozone and get their OBDII reader. Plug it in to the socket in the driver's footwell, turn the ignition on and wait for the reader to retrieve the code. The cost ends up being $0 and takes all of 15 mins (from initial rent to return given a line of 5 people ahead of you).
Old 12-01-2006 | 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Or you can get a cheap CEL reader from Amazon for between $50-$60 if you want to have one yourself. I thought it was a good investment for my car and all my friends' that i'm now helping to work on. I just keep it in the spare wheel compartment at all times so its handy.
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, thanks fellas! I did see some ones post a few weeks ago about that reader on amazon, maybe it was actually you Reach! I also just glanced over that install of the anit-fouler and if that solves the problem, it looks easy enough for me handle! I usually pick up quick on things like that so it shouldn't be a problem.

My only question i still have left is the whole running rich thing. Does that refer to a/f ratio or something else?
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

a/f. running rich refers to too much fuel in the mixture. its bad for the components and causes the 'gas in the exhaust' smell, and it can foul up your cat. moda_way knows a fair bit more about it that I do tho.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I would definitely do Hondata first. Lowering the Vtec point and gaining power, while adding little to no noise is a good starting point and makes a noticeable difference. Then, get a header next, run it for awhile and then get the CAT down the road. This will allow you to help appreciate your gains.

I wouldn't worry too much about the a/f ratio. Many people have went the same route and I haven't heard many people comment about having problems with doing the reflash before bolt-ons. Running rich isn't ideal, but keep in mind that if this even does occur it will only happen while you're in open loop mode. The majority of the time when your cruising and not driving hard, you'll be in closed loop mode which still maintains a perfect 14.7.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Reach
a/f. running rich refers to too much fuel in the mixture. its bad for the components and causes the 'gas in the exhaust' smell, and it can foul up your cat. moda_way knows a fair bit more about it that I do tho.
yeah, the rich a/f I'm talking about is still within spec limits, but does nothing for performance.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I would definitely do Hondata first. Lowering the Vtec point and gaining power, while adding little to no noise is a good starting point and makes a noticeable difference. Then, get a header next, run it for awhile and then get the CAT down the road. This will allow you to help appreciate your gains.

I wouldn't worry too much about the a/f ratio. Many people have went the same route and I haven't heard many people comment about having problems with doing the reflash before bolt-ons. Running rich isn't ideal, but keep in mind that if this even does occur it will only happen while you're in open loop mode. The majority of the time when your cruising and not driving hard, you'll be in closed loop mode which still maintains a perfect 14.7.
I would agree, the Hondata isn't a bad place to start. Either way, if you do the bolt on's, you're gonna need the Hondata anyway, so it is a good place to start.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:22 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by moda_way
yeah, the rich a/f I'm talking about is still within spec limits, but does nothing for performance.

It would be nice to have it leaned out for performance purposes. That's why we all want user programmable engine management. We would be able make the performance of our car ideal for our setups.
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, that is what i thought was meant by running rich but wanted to make sure. So even if i run that setup i won't be running rich enough to make a huge difference then, which is what i was concerned about. I will def go with hondata first then and then just figure out if i want to install the header and RT CAT simultaneously, or individually. I know the install is easier for both at the same time (from what i have read) but i do like to be able to feel the difference per mod.
Old 12-01-2006 | 04:06 PM
Racer

i CANT WAIT TILL MY WARRANTY IS UP AND i CAN DO WHAT YOUR PLANNING TO DO...... ITS GONNA BE TIGHT......., JUST 20K TO GO.....
Old 12-01-2006 | 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jdepasqu2
i CANT WAIT TILL MY WARRANTY IS UP AND i CAN DO WHAT YOUR PLANNING TO DO...... ITS GONNA BE TIGHT......., JUST 20K TO GO.....
I still have 10k left in my warranty but whatever.....its a honda and i don't think i will have any engine/tranny problems before i hit 50k. If i have other problems interior or what have you, they will still be covered!
Old 12-01-2006 | 06:20 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

I still have 35k left in my warranty and i still mod it.. yes its a honda, there wont be any engine problems..